Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2020, 10:42 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Just this question:

If recruitment of certain groups for coronavirus vaccine studies is slower than for others why not try an incentive based approach? For example, couldn't large cash payments be offered as a method to recruit volunteers from groups you need more participation from?

I would think something like this would be quick and effective.
Then you get only a certain economic class. I'm not sure how picky they are on variety (tired, can't think of right word).

I would imagine that getting a good poll is similar to getting a good vaccine group.

EX: polls are automatically skewed because of the type of person who will pick up their phone (female, older), to get a true random sampling (found it!) is difficult.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 03:04 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Just this question:

If recruitment of certain groups for coronavirus vaccine studies is slower than for others why not try an incentive based approach? For example, couldn't large cash payments be offered as a method to recruit volunteers from groups you need more participation from?

I would think something like this would be quick and effective.
Participants are being paid. For minorities who are convinced that they would be abused in a "medical experiment" I am not sure even paying more would induce them to join.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:20 PM

1,131 posts, read 386,939 times
Listening to Fauci today. This is going to go on for awhile ---don't make any big plans for your 2021 and don't expect that you'll be getting rid of the masks immediately, or even the socially distancing for that matter.

I'd say, as older Americans, we're even more likely to have to keep living with these precautions for awhile. If I were a 20-something, I'd likely be more venturesome and not so worried.

Even when part of the population is vaccinated, the risk remains. And the vaccine success rate may only be something like 70%.

I'd hate to be a kid going to school (elem, high school, college) right now. This may become the new normal for quite awhile. And for folks in their 80's in retirement centers (my parents) - who knows how many more years they have and to think their last ones are spent in semi-seclusion, worrying about anyone around infecting them.

Last edited by TakingItEasy; 09-11-2020 at 04:13 PM..

Old 09-11-2020, 03:21 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Participants are being paid. For minorities who are convinced that they would be abused in a "medical experiment" I am not sure even paying more would induce them to join.
I think a $50,000 bonus would get a lot of people to volunteer. What I'm less certain about is whether doing that would somehow create some kind of an ethical issue.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
I think a $50,000 bonus would get a lot of people to volunteer.
If someone offered me that much it would ensure I wouldn't sign up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-11-2020, 03:23 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If someone offered me that much it would ensure I wouldn't sign up.
YOU wouldn't.....but many probably would. Why not try it or something like it?

Old 09-12-2020, 05:19 AM

1,131 posts, read 386,939 times
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government’s top infectious disease expert, said Friday that normal times won’t replace America’s long coronavirus nightmare until deep into 2021, explaining that it will take months to widely administer a vaccine.

The 79-year-old immunologist said he continues to expect a vaccine to be available by the beginning of 2021.

“But by the time you mobilize the distribution of the vaccine and get a majority or more of the population vaccinated and protected, that’s likely not going to happen until the end of 2021,” Fauci told MSNBC. “If you’re talking about getting back to a degree of normality prior to COVID, it’s going to be well into 2021, maybe even towards the end of 2021.”

Old 09-12-2020, 06:16 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,045 times
^^^^^^^^^^ ugh!

Old 09-12-2020, 01:01 PM

8,344 posts, read 4,375,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Adenoviruses are known to cause transverse myelitis:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/36/5/550/451768

It has also been reported with SARS-CoV-2:

https://casereports.bmj.com/content/13/8/e236720

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7275163/

Presuming the trial participant's transverse myelitis is due to the vaccine, the question would be how frequently it would happen. Is it one in tens of thousands of doses or one in hundreds of thousands? Would the vaccine cause more cases than infection with the coronavirus? There is no way to know yet.

Well, I was wrong! AstraZeneca has resumed their vaccine trial after the pause of only a few days, despite the case of transverse myelitis (btw, that person received the vaccine, not placebo). They apparently had another study participant diagnosed with multiple sclerosis after starting the trial, though deemed to be unrelated to the vaccine (but MS is also a demyelinating disorder).

Unless the AstraZeneca vaccine proves to be much more effective than the others, I'm not getting that one. Pfizer looks most promising so far. At least 1/5 of their trial participants are black and Latino, so shouldn't be a problem with lack of genetic diversity in the trial either.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:07 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Well, I was wrong! AstraZeneca has resumed their vaccine trial after the pause of only a few days, despite the case of transverse myelitis (btw, that person received the vaccine, not placebo). They apparently had another study participant diagnosed with multiple sclerosis after starting the trial, though deemed to be unrelated to the vaccine (but MS is also a demyelinating disorder).

Unless the AstraZeneca vaccine proves to be much more effective than the others, I'm not getting that one. Pfizer looks most promising so far. At least 1/5 of their trial participants are black and Latino, so shouldn't be a problem with lack of genetic diversity in the trial either.
I am glad they restarted it. If the transverse myelitis is due to the vaccine there is as yet no way to know how often it would happen. It could be with one in 15,000 doses or one in 150,000 but just showed up in the first 15,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement