Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 09:32 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,219,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Spoken from a friend that's been there! I have never been the boss in my marriage but for some reason my son hands over the title to his women. You are spot on!
Thank you
Shalom!
Our dil tries to be boss but my son isn’t having it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 06:14 AM

23,900 posts, read 33,661,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Spoken from a friend that's been there! I have never been the boss in my marriage but for some reason my son hands over the title to his women. You are spot on!
Thank you
Shalom!

I've always reminded my hub to call his mother and her step mother who raised her on specific dates such as her anniversary, day his father passed for his mom and once a month for his grandmother. My son knows when he needs to call his other grandmother. He's always been real good about that.

My son is similar, he does what the woman wants and that's ok. He still lives here 2 nights a week. She doesn't have parents living any more so I'm sure she doesn't think that maybe I'd appreciate they come here for Thanksgiving.

If he marries her he won't be having kids. That's a hard one to swallow I'm sure for him, he's always wanted them. I suggested he donate sperm. I'm going to bring it up again.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:16 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,666,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've always reminded my hub to call his mother and her step mother who raised her on specific dates such as her anniversary, day his father passed for his mom and once a month for his grandmother. My son knows when he needs to call his other grandmother. He's always been real good about that.

My son is similar, he does what the woman wants and that's ok. He still lives here 2 nights a week. She doesn't have parents living any more so I'm sure she doesn't think that maybe I'd appreciate they come here for Thanksgiving.

If he marries her he won't be having kids. That's a hard one to swallow I'm sure for him, he's always wanted them. I suggested he donate sperm. I'm going to bring it up again.

Roselvr, mine was 5 min away, which I loved, would bring them food, never would go in, just drop it off, always trying not to interfere, but when the woman's mother moved, by George, she followed! I have to tell you I didnt see that one coming. Then of course all holidays are with her whole family now, so my son protested and came up here for Christmas and that is when the real problems started. The woman blamed me and I didnt have anything to do with the decision. But it is what it is and like I said at least my son does communicate with us now. I do wish my dil was like you were to your mil... but seems my son goes for high maintenace strong women and they dont want to share.
Thanks for your input

Old 07-29-2022, 02:54 PM

131 posts, read 51,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Are you saying parents have a responsibility to give their adult children money?

Sort of. I think if you have a child, you have a responsibility to set them up so that they can succeed in life. This means helping them out as adults as necessary.

Many older, boomer-aged parents seem to think that they are good parents simply because they "provided a roof over their kids heads" until they were 18 and that they owe them nothing afterwards.

I think this might have made more sense when they were growing up, but that now a days, it works better for families to collaborate and help each other a bit more. If you treat them like this, you should also likewise expect nothing from them in return.

Last edited by Colton929; 07-29-2022 at 03:02 PM..

Old 07-29-2022, 08:04 PM

319 posts, read 200,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton929 View Post
Many older, boomer-aged parents seem to think that they are good parents simply because they "provided a roof over their kids heads" until they were 18 and that they owe them nothing afterwards.
Many of the Boomer age parents were born to people who suffered a great deal during the Depression era. That they were able to provide a roof and food for their children was actually a great accomplishment.

I'm late Boomer who came to maturity in the 70s, during the nasty economic times of high inflation and high unemployment. My agemates and I were expected to go to college (thankfully, financial aid in the form of Pell grants and scholarships was more liberally disbursed), get a job and move out. It was done not only for independence but to reduce the burden of parents facing layoffs and higher expenses themselves.

I look at some of these failure to launch people with distaste (not all. Times are tough). It wasn't even a consideration for many of those my age to ask to move back home or for financial help. You lived in a roach motel, ate ramen, or doubled up with roommates. Our parents labored enough to get us to the point of launch. Falling back to them, causing a strain on their ability to live a decent life, was not done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement