Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2021, 10:12 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
We were just sent an email that Pfizer booster shots are available for 65 and older — along with other high risk people. Moderna and J&J are not available yet.
Has anyone gotten it yet, and if so, did you have any reaction or side effects with a third shot?
Thanks

I am 65; and got the Moderna third shot a month ago; at CVS, I attested that I am immunocompromised. I had absolutely no side effects. Perhaps it's because I have fat arms; but I rarely get side-effects from any shot other than mild soreness for less than 24 hours.

I got the Moderna booster because my first two shots were Moderna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 04:19 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Did your doctor recommend this booster for you? You are younger than my oldest child & I'm "only" 53. Vaccines should not be treated like boutique medicine; there is a reason the boosters are not approved for your age group.

Do you have a way to check your heart rate/BP & O2 levels at home? Pay attention to your body & if you experience shortness of breath on exertion, seek medical attention immediately. Interestingly, a quick VAERS search of my state for people in your age group (30-39), with your symptoms (notably; sleep disturbances) seem to be linked to two outcomes that are very different from each other: Either Pulmonary Embolism or Tinnitus (ringing in ears). Tinnitus seems to occur 1-2 weeks out, the PE's within a week.
I’ve been fully vaccinated since 1/8. No, it wasn’t “recommended,” but I’m sure my immunity waned substantially. I was eligible both then and now by virtue of working for a hospital system.

It isn’t “boutique medicine.” It’s an immunization to keep myself from getting sick. I socialize. I go to big events. I rarely mask or distance. With waning immunity, why not go ahead and get the booster? Regular boosters allow people like myself to go back to a normal lifestyle with minimal or no precautions.

The US has been so far behind on booster shot guidance that people, especially early vaccinated people like myself, began to take their health into their own hands. It might be spring before the government declares my age group eligible for a booster. By then, I’m more than a year out. To me, the waning immunity data on the Pfizer shot from the Israeli studies was fairly convincing. I trust Israeli public health information far more than I trust the American system.

Would I be that at risk for a severe COVID infection, being double vaccinated, 35, and in otherwise good health? Probably not, but being inconvenienced for a few days beats getting a symptomatic infection.

I feel mostly fine this evening. I’m tired from the several days of poor sleep. The symptoms from the vaccine itself seem mostly gone.

My SPO2 was 98% and my heart rate was 76 when I walked down the stairs and got my pulse oximeter. If I stop posting in a few days, I guess the pulmonary embolism got me.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:15 PM

1,383 posts, read 725,411 times
Pfizer booster today, no reaction but then I had no reaction to the first 2 either.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:19 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
It seems to me like "mixing apples and oranges" as in Pfizer and Moderna may be good - slightly broader coverage. We are about a week past 6 months from second Pfizer shot - waiting till 7 or 8 months. Maybe data on Moderna or the NIH study on mixing different shots will be available by then.

In Europe, many of those that got AstraZeneca, got second shot of another because of AZ halted use, didn't seem to be a problem - I am guessing that studies will show little downside to mixing.
Two things,
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I did fine with the Moderna.
I’m old but otherwise not in a risk group, so I have no worries about waiting.

Interestingly, to me, is the only two people I know who got Covid after being vaccinated, had had the Pfizer.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:36 AM

529 posts, read 491,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
It seems to me like "mixing apples and oranges" as in Pfizer and Moderna may be good - slightly broader coverage. We are about a week past 6 months from second Pfizer shot - waiting till 7 or 8 months. Maybe data on Moderna or the NIH study on mixing different shots will be available by then.

In Europe, many of those that got AstraZeneca, got second shot of another because of AZ halted use, didn't seem to be a problem - I am guessing that studies will show little downside to mixing.

My 20 something daughter is participating in a study of mixing vaccines. She initially had the J&J six months ago, and as part of the study, received a Pfizer shot. No negative issues, and they will not tell her any results. The study does have people taking the Moderna shot, and seems to be focused on the people who received the J&J shot initially.

I am not sure of all the studies, but one thing they are saying, is the Moderna may be longer lasting due to the actual shot near twice the amount of vaccine. My initial vaccine was Pfizer, and I would have liked to have had the Moderna as a booster, but they are not allowing it, so last week got the Pfizer booster.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:01 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
I am not sure of all the studies, but one thing they are saying, is the Moderna may be longer lasting due to the actual shot near twice the amount of vaccine. My initial vaccine was Pfizer, and I would have liked to have had the Moderna as a booster, but they are not allowing it, so last week got the Pfizer booster.

Part of it is probably the dose. Moderna is more than 3x the dose of Pfizer. 100 micrograms vs 30 micrograms. Part of it is the magic of getting a large molecule to pass though a lipid (the cell wall). The technology is similar but not exactly the same. The belief is that you get more Moderna into the cells than Pfizer because it's a bit better at doing that.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:12 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
I received my flu shot on Oct 1, my doctor wants me to wait 2 weeks between the flu shot before getting my Pfizer booster shot. That would be seven and one-half months from the second shot.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:29 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Because of the way in which vaccines work — by prompting the body to build up immunity against the target pathogen — individuals with compromised immune systems may not be able to build up complete or even partial immunity to SARS-CoV-2.

According to Prof. Schaffner, some medications, such as immunosuppressants and some drugs used in cancer treatments, may also negatively impact the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines

Apparently the side effects may or may not be indicative of the vaccine efficacy.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:58 AM

177 posts, read 121,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
I do not plan to have both the flu shot and the Covid booster at the same time. Does not make sense to me to do that. Will space them 1 month apart.
Same.

Old 10-07-2021, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 728 times
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation

I had J&J vaccine early March, had absolutely no side effects .
Got the Pfizer vaccine 11 PM on October 2. My arm was a little sore the next day. felt fine otherwise, then Tuesday afternoon felt exhausted and cold. no pain, just very tired/exhausted. I rested under blanket. Wasn't hungry, but ate dinner- this seemed to wake me up a bit and I felt less wiped out. Next day felt better, a little tired in the afternoon, fine by evening. No other side effects, feel great now, glad I got the booster as I am around people and feel better protected.

I was surprised by the "late side effect" but have heard it can happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement