Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 06:15 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Please, someone help Windwalker2 ^^^^

and meanwhile, as to transferring my phone pictures to my laptop, I went to settings and checked off the tethering part. I've had my USB cord connected to phone and laptop and as usual, I still can't transfer pictures. Probably, as Roselver said, I have to use Google photos.

So I have signed into Google and will try to figure it out.

BTW, Google seems to have decided to organize my phone pictures FOR ME! Which is annoying. They have put pictures of my dog into an album with his name. The pictures I took of my autumn garden just so I can remember where things were planted, they have gone ahead and made albums too and labeled them Best of September and names like that! Annoying because I want to organize my photos the way I WANT them organized!!!!!!!

No wonder computers can be so frustrating. With my previous phone I could just Import Photos. They would go to My Pictures. Then I could edit them, name them, organize them. Now GOOGLE PHOTOS has taken over and what they do is out of my control. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thank you for the help, all who tried.
If you plug an Android phone into the computer, typically the phone memory will show up as another disk drive, from which you can typically "drag and drop" the photos.

Google Photos typically does an auto-manage of most photos, if I remember correctly.

You can likely Google around to find how to disable those features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 06:17 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,536 times
It is never truly off unless you remove the battery. It has to consume a small amount to sense when you try to turn it on again.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:18 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Personally, the first place I would look if I knew how to browse the internet, but didn't know much about smartphones, would e YouTube. You can find tutorials and how-tos on YouTube for virtually anything under the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
It is never truly off unless you remove the battery. It has to consume a small amount to sense when you try to turn it on again.
This is essentially to keep basic firmware information behind the scenes. Computers have historically had what is called a CMOS battery to keep the date/time, and other firmware settings, functional. Yes, if you were to leave the cell phone powered off for a long period of time, like a year, you'd probably have to charge it upon turning it back on. For normal usage, this isn't a problem.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:10 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Elementary questions here I'm sure...

Verizon, the only carrier that works here, has informed me that I must get rid of my years old 3G flip phone. Because of what I've read about cell phone risks, I have a landline I use most of the time. That goes out when there is too much rain and then I have to use the cell phone until they fix it. Otherwise I keep it turned off.

Now I have to decide between a 4G flip phone or a 4G smart phone, either of which will allow me to keep my same senior plan. I have no need or interest in using a phone in place of my computer. There are a few benefits to having a smart phone, like to get discounts at a store where I shop but it's not worth upgrading for that.

But here are some basic questions I have about smart phones:
Can I turn them completely off like I can with my flip phone?
Can I use a wired headset with them?
Yes, you can turn off your cell phone. It’s not just the power button though. Sometimes you have to hit the power button along with the volume button and it will turn it completely off. If you just press the power button it will power down but if somebody gives you a phone call on that phone it will ring and wake itself back up. It’s like the sleep cycle on your computer. I have an Apple iPhone that’s how mine works, other brands may be different.

Can you use a wired headset? Maybe. I’m not sure in what context you are speaking about a wired headset — if you were talking about old-fashioned headphones, or that jazzy microphone earpiece thing that I’ve seen people use, probably no. As far as I know the cell phone companies have moved to a wireless earbud system. However at least for the iPhone, and I’m really sorry I have never used another phone but an iPhone and I’m very accustomed to it, bit at least for the iPhone they accommodate things by making that a separate purchase and it plugs into the power port.

But — The really nice thing about my iPhone, is by pressing a single button when I get a phone call, I can have a very good speakerphone. The button on my iPhone is the old fashioned microphone button. I don’t have to hold it up to my head to hear and I don’t have to speak directlyinto the bottom so they can hear. I do that all the time.

Both my brother-in-law and my late husband died from glioblastoma brain tumors and interestingly the brain tumors were exactly where they planted the phone by their ears in both cases. Brother-in-law died in 2005 my husband died in 2019. They both continually used flip phones. So I get it. I have not put a cell phone to my head since 2005. I do speaker all the way.

Old 12-05-2021, 11:16 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Both my brother-in-law and my late husband died from glioblastoma brain tumors and interestingly the brain tumors were exactly where they planted the phone by their ears in both cases. Brother-in-law died in 2005 my husband died in 2019. They both continually used flip phones. So I get it. I have not put a cell phone to my head since 2005. I do speaker all the way.
my sister in law worked for a tech company, and started using cell phones long before most of us, long before flip phones She also died of glioblastoma.
I use a land line for most calls, the cell only when necessary.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:00 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
I'm thinking of getting a inexpensive Android smart phone. Are they secure for financial transactions such as ordering online, banking, checking stocks? I have never had an Android anything, hence the question.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:32 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Please, someone help Windwalker2 ^^^^

and meanwhile, as to transferring my phone pictures to my laptop, I went to settings and checked off the tethering part. I've had my USB cord connected to phone and laptop and as usual, I still can't transfer pictures. Probably, as Roselver said, I have to use Google photos.

So I have signed into Google and will try to figure it out.

BTW, Google seems to have decided to organize my phone pictures FOR ME! Which is annoying. They have put pictures of my dog into an album with his name. The pictures I took of my autumn garden just so I can remember where things were planted, they have gone ahead and made albums too and labeled them Best of September and names like that! Annoying because I want to organize my photos the way I WANT them organized!!!!!!!

No wonder computers can be so frustrating. With my previous phone I could just Import Photos. They would go to My Pictures. Then I could edit them, name them, organize them. Now GOOGLE PHOTOS has taken over and what they do is out of my control. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thank you for the help, all who tried.

Google didn't add the albums. Do you remember the photo site and program called Picasa? You probably had it at one time, it was renamed google photos. All of my albums from Picasa show the same in google photos as what I named them back then.

When you hook the phone by the plug to the computer, if you're running windows 10, you may have a folder icon in the lower left quick launch icons. If you have it, click on it, then on the left side, scroll/ navigate to this PC and click it. It will show you the drives attached, one should be your cell phone.

You may have an icon on your desktop. I'm not great with windows 10. The icon I have is documents, not "my computer" which older windows had. Open my documents, the "this PC" will be on the left. If you do not have documents on the left, push the windows key on your keyboard or click the windows icon on the bottom left like you're turning it off. Documents should be there. If you have a different version of windows, post which one.

Hopefully one will get you to find your cell. Normally when I build a new PC, I customize everything, run my documents off of another hard drive. I haven't done it with this one yet, it was MIL's which I got when she passed. I think it may be on it's way out. I'll have to factory restore it because it has issues. I'll customize it after that. I feel so stupid with this version of windows where "documents" aren't stored on the device, they're in the cloud. I have a condensed version of my documents on a thumb drive for now until I put my other hard drive in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I'm thinking of getting a inexpensive Android smart phone. Are they secure for financial transactions such as ordering online, banking, checking stocks? I have never had an Android anything, hence the question.

Yes, just about every site that deals with money is secure these days, unless it is a scam site

Last edited by Roselvr; 12-06-2021 at 05:45 AM..

Old 12-06-2021, 06:50 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I was told when you do something like this on a cell phone, you do it via an app. Don’t do it on your web browser. What I was told was apps are sand boxed. Which means they’re much harder to get into because they don’t connect in the same manner that it would connect through the web.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:13 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Elementary questions here I'm sure...

Verizon, the only carrier that works here, has informed me that I must get rid of my years old 3G flip phone. Because of what I've read about cell phone risks, I have a landline I use most of the time. That goes out when there is too much rain and then I have to use the cell phone until they fix it. Otherwise I keep it turned off.

Now I have to decide between a 4G flip phone or a 4G smart phone, either of which will allow me to keep my same senior plan. I have no need or interest in using a phone in place of my computer. There are a few benefits to having a smart phone, like to get discounts at a store where I shop but it's not worth upgrading for that.

But here are some basic questions I have about smart phones:
Can I turn them completely off like I can with my flip phone?
Can I use a wired headset with them?
Yes, of course you can turn them off, (there is a power button just like every appliance) and yes, you can wear a wired headset with them.

Often you hit the Power button and it will give you a choice of turning the phone off or turning off and restarting. So it's not just a matter of hitting the Power button (usually on the side of the phone) but also completing the task by hitting or swiping something on the screen.

Also, I saw someone else question what you meant by wired headset--I assumed you meant a headset that plugs into your phone via a wire attached to it. Yes, you can. I have listened to podcasts that way.

This thread is reminding me of when I got my first smartphone, maybe around 2014. (Not counting the Blackberry, lol, but rather an Android.) I'd been using computers and programs of different types for years. I was at work the next day, and my mother was calling. I went to answer, and pressed what seemed obvious--the green button, not the red one. And nothing happened. I kept pressing the button to answer, but the phone kept ringing until it stopped.

I then called myself from my desk phone, but the same thing. No matter how many times I pressed that green button, I could not answer my phone. I finally went and asked someone, who looked at my phone and said, "I think you have to put your finger on the green button and then SWIPE." I had no idea. That was not intuitive--usually you click or press a button, and something happens. It would not have occurred to me to swipe my finger across the screen to make something happen.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-06-2021 at 07:41 AM..

Old 12-06-2021, 08:44 AM

1,489 posts, read 794,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I do not suggest an Iphone. I will never buy one. My hub has one. You can't put an SD card in it for media storage. If you get a cheap iphone, you may not be able to save any more photos because you used up all of your space. Also, they do have a cloud back up that you may fill up. The way around that is to download everything on a computer using apple's main media program itunes. I'm clueless after that. My daughter has all sorts of backups that she can't just transfer to an iphone because the storage drive isn't big enough. Her big issue is her laptops will crap out, then she loses that data. Android is just easier.
Just about everything you said about an iPhone is only partially true.

You can by an iPhone with more storage if you want, you can purchase more iCloud storage very cheap if you want or you can backup to your computer if you want.

What I like about my iPhone is when I walk into my house anything that I have done on my iPhone syncs with my computer and my iPad automatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement