Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2021, 08:38 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I finally tested the camera-QR code thing!
I was uploading my new 3D print design to Tinkercad, and it offered the option of creating a QR code for the page. I accepted, then pointed my cell camera at the code, and it worked!
Doubt I'll use it any time soon, but now I know it works.
Well done.

I have no idea what Tinkercad is but I don't need to. Anyway, one of the problems is that we can google our phone and ask questions but when we go to our phone with their answers, our phone may be a very slightly different model. That's what happens to me. They will say to go into Settings and do something but when I go into Settings I don't have what they said. That was a major problem with my last phone.

With my present BluPhone, my very techie sister has the same phone and she doesn't bother with organizing the pictures like I want to. She also doesn't have a laptop that she can't figure out how to transfer the photos to.

Her phone isn't identical to my phone though. All it takes is for them to call something by a different name or to have a different mode of doing things and you can get confused. It is not intuitive. I bought my phone on Amazon so there is no one to ask either. Geek Squad, if I ever get the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 09:29 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,447,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree. Don't slam people who have never done something for not knowing how to do it by osmosis. Show them.
I couldn't say it better myself, so I copied.

Seriously, I really appreciate this thread. It was a good idea & it's very helpful.

Lately I've come so close to just leaving this forum due to bickering & put-downs. However, there are some contributors who have truly helped me & I hope I can do the same.

Please, let's all take the high road.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:21 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,621,905 times
I don't know if this is within the scope of this thread, but "smart" devices are becoming harder to use by the disabled. A person with use of only one hand (such as a stroke patient) cannot manage it all. You can't hold in one hand, balanced, and tap keys on the lower part of the screen. If you pick up the phone, you cannot readjust your grip without another hand to pass it to. The only solution is to lay the phone on a non-slip table and hover over it. Put your right hand in your pocket, and try ro manage a smart phone.

A laptop presents no such problems, it is almost never required to press two keys that cannot be reached with thumb and finger.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:32 AM

4,618 posts, read 3,320,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I don't know if this is within the scope of this thread, but "smart" devices are becoming harder to use by the disabled. A person with use of only one hand (such as a stroke patient) cannot manage it all. You can't hold in one hand, balanced, and tap keys on the lower part of the screen. If you pick up the phone, you cannot readjust your grip without another hand to pass it to. The only solution is to lay the phone on a non-slip table and hover over it. Put your right hand in your pocket, and try ro manage a smart phone.

A laptop presents no such problems, it is almost never required to press two keys that cannot be reached with thumb and finger.
I refer you to my post about dictating emails a few pages ago. It might save you from having to juggle things so much. I just tried to download city-data on my phone to see if you could dictate replies and other postings on it, and you can. It seems any time you get up a keyboard on your (android) phone, the little microphone icon comes up. I don't know about iphones because I don't have one.

But City-Data seemed very small to use on the phone, too small really to read properly, so I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that.

My husband broke his arm a few months ago and it's amazing the things you cannot do with one hand that we never think about. Eating is the most common. How to get the toothpaste on your brush? Tie your shoes? Button your shirt or zip up your pants? (but I'm getting off subject again, haha)

But to get back on topic, you can say, "hey google" and do all sorts of things with no hands, just by talking. When you say, "hey google," you activate google's assistant and she asks you what you want to do. You can phone people in your contacts, you can text them, you can open your email. You can probably do lots of other things that I don't know about.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:36 AM

494 posts, read 287,289 times
This Forum is a great idea! Thank you for doing it.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:55 AM

1,503 posts, read 805,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
New technologies used to come with big instruction manuals. You are lucky to get a message telling you to turn on whatever now. For me this is the biggest obstacle to learning how to use new tech.

So I will probably not get an IPhone ever, and am reluctant even to try an Android phone.
IPhones are probably easier to use than an android phone. Also with an android you have Google tracking everything you do.
I want to add that most of the phone stores offer classes on how to use the phones they sell and Apple offers free classes in their stores.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:42 AM

88,696 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Sorry, but although I won't make fun of anyone for not knowing how to use their smart phone, I am a cranky old secretary, and I just couldn't stand looking at the title any longer and corrected it.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:58 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,611,600 times
Quote:
True. I get annoyed when I Google how to do something on <insert specific model of Android> and the directions say something like open settings and under XXX, choose YYY, but there IS no YYY under XXX. All the time.

So a lot of the instructions online are not correct or applicable. Sometimes I can figure it out (like how to sort my apps alphabetically).
Not to mention all the times the answer is actually "you just can't do that anymore because that feature was removed for no apparent reason".

How could anybody be made to feel bad for not understanding this nonsense?

Old 12-08-2021, 09:39 AM

8,364 posts, read 6,463,705 times
Quote:
True. I get annoyed when I Google how to do something on <insert specific model of Android> and the directions say something like open settings and under XXX, choose YYY, but there IS no YYY under XXX. All the time.

So a lot of the instructions online are not correct or applicable. Sometimes I can figure it out (like how to sort my apps alphabetically).
This happens to me all the time. Exactly this happened to me last night when I tried to learn how to bring back spell check on my Chromebook.
So much for otherwise compent people having so much trouble with technology. It dosen't work the way it's suppose to.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:39 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,208,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
You can always ask us! What would you like to do with your iPad?

Google and Apple can't really expect to provide written instructions for phones because they're too versatile now. It's not like they can explain every app the phone comes with, including those not invented yet. Also, the rapid development cycle and availability of google.com has made companies lazy, I think. Why provide documentation that will be obsolete in 6 months when most people just Google "how do I [perform task] on [program]" for every question? It's really frustrating sometimes, even as a relatively tech-savvy person.

Well, I wanted to download the same browser for the Ipad that I use on Windows since it's available for Apple too, and then check my Email. There were no instructions on how to find the Ipad browser to even connect to the Internet. I had no idea what it was called because I have never used Macs.
But this is off topic for this thread.

And I think I'm deciding just to upgrade to the 4G flip phone that Verizon is offering. I don't want to spend hours or days trying to learn a smart phone I don't really need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement