Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 09:59 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,673,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
We're on Verizon. There are times when my cell will say I'm not online. My hub said he has that issue too at Sam's club. The way around it for anyone else on Verizon having the issue, is to turn off wifi, it then forces the phone to use your Verizon connection. When you get out of that "not connected area" turn the wifi back on.

The smart phone is not that smart to default to the Verizon connection I guess. I'm on a Samsung android, hub is using an iPhone.

For those not wanting to put minutes on a pay as you go phone, think twice before doing that. My daughter saw a woman at our Walgreens a few weeks ago who was stranded by the medical transport. Apparently she was using text now which is a wifi program where you can text and get phone calls for free using wifi. The woman couldn't use her cell phone to call anyone. Walgreens wouldn't let her call the transport company to try to get picked up. She had been stranded over 5 hours.

As soon as she told me about an error she got trying to use a cell browser for the transport company phone number, I knew she had no wifi to make a phone call. I told her she would have needed to cross the highway to use Shop Rite's public wifi if she makes the mistake to go out without minutes on her phone.

I ended up driving her home. The poor woman was shaking as I drove her, she didn't know if she could trust me. I explained how I advocate for missing people, as we got closer to her house, she finally stopped shaking.

Hopefully she will get a pay as you go card before leaving her house again. I don't recommend anyone depend on a wifi app to make phone calls.

I have a GPS built into my car and if I'm going to a new place, I load up google maps too because they show different ways of getting to the same place.

I also carry maps in my car just in case. I have a state map plus a few county maps just in case because you never know.

That's something I would do too, until I had a lot of apps, I made folders for different groups of apps such as shopping, social media, apps from Samsung who make my phone, Verizon my cell provider, Google, banking plus money apps, and genealogy.

I had to break away from alphabetical for some of them, they're in the order of most used first, then alphabetical for the ones I don't use much, especially in the shopping folder where I have the most apps.

There are cheap emergency pay plans. Tracfon sells plan on on ebay that is 3GB data, 1200 minutes, and 1200 texts for $40. Good for 365days. I am not sure, you probably can add minutes/data, etc. But for emergency phone like where you mostly use wifi, this is option. They offer choice of ATT, Verizon, Tmobile networks. This one is kinda nice cause if you need to use up the whole 3GB or all your minutes in an emergency, not so many every thirty days or such. Red Pocket offers cheap 360 day plans. Think they have a $30 and a $60 and $100 one depending amount data mostly. Liberty Wireless has unlimited talk and text ONLY 360 day plan for like $60 a year but its only on Tmobile network. So there are cheap options. Good for people that just dont use phone much and for those that mostly use wifi but like your friend may get stuck somewhere without wifi as an option.

Unlike your friend dependent on wifi to make calls, I am dependent on tethering to a cell phone for all my internet. I am rural and no cable and no DSL down my road. Its dialup, satellite, or cell. Red Pocket offers a 360 day plan with unlimited voice/text and 20GB data every 30 days and they dont mind tethering. $300 for 360 day when goes on sale. ATT network is only one viable where I am. Used to be able to get Verizon but it stopped working from cell tower closest to me so to get signal would now have to go way out in woods to get line sight to next cell tower over. Sprint was always a question, it worked back on 2G, sorta worked on 3G but not reliable. Doesnt work on 4G. Ironically 2G service actually got best reception in rural areas where towers are few and far between. I think Sprint and Tmobile are merged now, so probably same towers.

Each to their own but doesnt cost much to have a state map in glovebox, you know, old tech paper kind of map. No cell phone or such needed. May need a magnifying glass and flashlight at times..... There are more detailed county maps available if you need to find some dirt roads out back of beyond. Believe me pre-cell phone era, people werent just wandering aimlessly. Paper maps work fine, you just dont have the electronic voice to talk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 11:12 AM

936 posts, read 1,657,441 times
Great subject and appreciated for these folks that may still not understand the value (me and mine). To have started this topic on 12/3/2021 and have this much input is telling. I am strongly considering ConsumerCellular since my wife seems to be ready for dumping the flipper (kicking and screaming tho). We can get the coverages and two lines for 35 or so per month. All the stuff just doesn't mean anything to us; phone text and camera is our needs. I'll use maps to route unfamiliars but we do our research at the house.

MY PROBLEM WITH THESE PHONES IS: all the pre loaded apps and affects this has on battery life and storage, which affects speed too. When I go to the installed apps page, some have choices, others do not. Some have comments about changing the set-up or somesuch which scares me away from deleting or shutting down app.

What to do for optimal set-up with this situation ? No gamer, etc. just what I've described as needs with a smartphone.

(I have been searching this topic in the smartphone section until I thought about it a little more ...)

A note; I will replace my older LG for one of the inexpensive phones in the ConsumerCellular choices along with a phone for the wife. We may or may not retain our original numbers. This means I'll have an older model, 4G.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:44 PM

8,405 posts, read 6,506,572 times
It takes a year to get straightened out with everybody if you change your phone number.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:44 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,784,818 times
The other advantage with smart phones is that when you have emergencies such as a blackout, you can use your cell phone as a "hot spot" so that you can access the internet using your data plan. For example, you need to send a document or a PP that is on your computer and not on your phone.

I think to learn how to use your phone, go to the "settings" app and just play with it to figure out the basics. Try to backtrack as you play with it to figure out how you got there in the first place. Sometimes, there "submenus" and it's easy to forget which ones you used to find what you need again.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:09 PM

88,883 posts, read 85,381,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The other advantage with smart phones is that when you have emergencies such as a blackout, you can use your cell phone as a "hot spot" so that you can access the internet using your data plan. For example, you need to send a document or a PP that is on your computer and not on your phone.

I think to learn how to use your phone, go to the "settings" app and just play with it to figure out the basics. Try to backtrack as you play with it to figure out how you got there in the first place. Sometimes, there "submenus" and it's easy to forget which ones you used to find what you need again.
So exactly how would one do that?

Old 12-12-2021, 10:23 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,176,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The big places like AT&T and T-Mobile and there’s others, they have such a great market share they don’t need to kowtow to us. Anyhow go to Target online and find the Consumer Cellular Store near you in the Target.

Consumer Cellular is geared towards seniors. Their plans are very well priced. They have a number of phones including used ones I believe. I know for a fact they’re at Target because that’s where I usually go. When you call their customer service they don’t tell you you can do this online they actually have people who are willing to help you. And they understand that they’re dealing with seniors so they don’t talk 9465 miles a second. Honestly, sometimes I have to tell young people I can’t hear that fast.

I have yet to have someone speak down to me there. So all in all it’s been a very positive experience. And they just lowered their rates. I get one gig of data which I only use when I’m out of the house, and I have not had any issues with the phone not working in the service being a mess. I have connectivity with my car the maps work perfectly podcast show up perfectly for 22 something a month.. Also note I am an AARP member so I get a discount.

The keyboard, I use an iPhone, can be problematic for me. I almost exclusively use talk to text. It works best if you speak slowly and clearly. Sometimes I don’t and then I have to edit. If it’s an extremely long post that needs a lot of edits, I have an inexpensive Logitech keyboard that syncs to my phone. I really miss my backwards and forwards keyboard buttons — they made life so much easier but they took them away.

They say they don't make money selling anything but IPhones so the ones around here have a few consumer cellular phones but they can't set up an account. I'd have to go to a supertarget and the closest one is either 50 miles south or 50 miles north. If I knew more I could do it online, order the phone, get them to send the sim card, transfer my stuff from old phone to new and set it up. With no help. So there's the problem with Consumer Cellular! They were my 1st pick. Husband got an older style flip phone and traveled so some nice lady would help him there. His fingers don't work good enough for touch screens.

My friend got a MotoGPlay and they set things up online and he loves it. His has fingerprint access and a lot of memory. But he doesn't text or use the internet part. Our stores around here quit selling that phone. They do have the best rates for service though.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:13 AM

23,921 posts, read 33,760,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Great subject and appreciated for these folks that may still not understand the value (me and mine). To have started this topic on 12/3/2021 and have this much input is telling. I am strongly considering ConsumerCellular since my wife seems to be ready for dumping the flipper (kicking and screaming tho). We can get the coverages and two lines for 35 or so per month. All the stuff just doesn't mean anything to us; phone text and camera is our needs. I'll use maps to route unfamiliars but we do our research at the house.

MY PROBLEM WITH THESE PHONES IS: all the pre loaded apps and affects this has on battery life and storage, which affects speed too. When I go to the installed apps page, some have choices, others do not. Some have comments about changing the set-up or somesuch which scares me away from deleting or shutting down app.

What to do for optimal set-up with this situation ? No gamer, etc. just what I've described as needs with a smartphone.

(I have been searching this topic in the smartphone section until I thought about it a little more ...)

A note; I will replace my older LG for one of the inexpensive phones in the ConsumerCellular choices along with a phone for the wife. We may or may not retain our original numbers. This means I'll have an older model, 4G.

Phones are not like the old phones you're switching from. Preloaded apps are pretty standard these days, bad battery life of old days is not the same. It's also very cheap and easy to buy a car charger. You buy the USB cord and a car outlet (cigarette lighter) plug at 5 Below for $5 each.

I have a Samsung cell using Verizon so there are Samsung apps, Verizon apps and the preloaded apps. If you buy android, you get google apps, iphone has apple related apps. As I said above, I make folders for these apps which is easy to do. Touch an app icon, then drag it on top of another app that you want in a folder, a folder will pop up. Your 2 apps will be in it.

As for games, I just looked on my Samsung android. There are no preinstalled games, there's an icon that says "play games".

I suggest you take your numbers with you, especially if you've given it to places like doctors offices. If you're not established with your current cell phone then I guess it wouldn't matter.

If neither of you have an android or iphone, you will have to start fresh with your contacts. I had to do that 3 years ago when I got rid of my blackberry. Thankfully I had a lot of contacts in my gmail contacts that my android uses for the contacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
They say they don't make money selling anything but IPhones so the ones around here have a few consumer cellular phones but they can't set up an account. I'd have to go to a supertarget and the closest one is either 50 miles south or 50 miles north. If I knew more I could do it online, order the phone, get them to send the sim card, transfer my stuff from old phone to new and set it up. With no help. So there's the problem with Consumer Cellular! They were my 1st pick. Husband got an older style flip phone and traveled so some nice lady would help him there. His fingers don't work good enough for touch screens.

My friend got a MotoGPlay and they set things up online and he loves it. His has fingerprint access and a lot of memory. But he doesn't text or use the internet part. Our stores around here quit selling that phone. They do have the best rates for service though.

Personally, I'd do a cell from Walmart. Make sure you take your cell number with you. They allow you to do that now. I've had my number since early 2000's.

Cell phone set up these days is pretty basic. Do you have a gmail account? That is what controls android phones. All of your contacts, and apps, as soon as you sign into your google account on the cell, select that it's your new device, it will do it's thing.

If your old cell phone is not an android, unfortunately, your going to lose contacts, will have to start fresh on an android. That's what I did 3 years ago.

To set up a new cell phone is nothing like doing it when you got your old phone.

My cell also has fingerprint which I do have set but use a pin instead.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:37 AM

6,788 posts, read 5,528,242 times
Ok, here's a tip: if you live, say, out in country, and have spotty service or only a few bars on your phone for connectivity, you can ask your service provider for a "cell signal booster".

They might give it free, or charge about $300 fir the set.

When we went to TMobile, and though we have a city lot, we'd have trouble connecting.
So they gave us a cell signal booster free.
One thing they couldn't understand was we were in a coverage area, and a new tower was being built near us, but not online yet.
The signal booster helped for sure.

The new tower is up and running, and has improved our service dramatically.

Another thing you can try if you only have a bar or two for signal strength, is to restart your smartphone, that will make it "look" and connect to the strongest tower connection it can find.

Also, I'm in upstate NY, surrounded by hills and mountains and those can interfere with signals. Just like a tv antenna signal may have problems in such a terrain.

Also, keep in mind that something like a thunderstorm or snow storm may cause a few problems with connecting.

Because, for those who don't know, cell phone s work via radio waves.

Best..

Old 12-13-2021, 03:41 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,789,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Ok, here's a tip: if you live, say, out in country, and have spotty service or only a few bars on your phone for connectivity, you can ask your service provider for a "cell signal booster".

They might give it free, or charge about $300 fir the set.

When we went to TMobile, and though we have a city lot, we'd have trouble connecting.
So they gave us a cell signal booster free.
One thing they couldn't understand was we were in a coverage area, and a new tower was being built near us, but not online yet.
The signal booster helped for sure.

The new tower is up and running, and has improved our service dramatically.

Another thing you can try if you only have a bar or two for signal strength, is to restart your smartphone, that will make it "look" and connect to the strongest tower connection it can find.

Also, I'm in upstate NY, surrounded by hills and mountains and those can interfere with signals. Just like a tv antenna signal may have problems in such a terrain.

Also, keep in mind that something like a thunderstorm or snow storm may cause a few problems with connecting.

Because, for those who don't know, cell phone s work via radio waves.

Best..
We got a booster when we moved to FL and it was replaced when our newer smart phones came with Wi-Fi calling. Our house has concrete walls which blocks cellular signal and even being by a window didn’t help. It was/is common here to see people outside using their cell phones since the majority of homes are built with block. Wi-Fi calling replaced our booster a couple years ago.

Wi-Fi calling is available on newer smart phones and is set up through settings, it’s not automatic. It also has to be available through your carrier. When Wi-Fi isn’t available calls automatically switch to cellular service. We found the sound quality is better and has less problems than the booster we had, which also worked through our internet, basically making a mini cell tower. It was a great solution for many years.

When internet is out, which is rare, we are back outside making calls.

https://www.weboost.com/blog/what-ar...f-wifi-calling

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-13-2021 at 04:28 AM..

Old 12-13-2021, 02:06 PM

10,963 posts, read 7,510,174 times
About changing your phone number...
When hubby got a smartphone several years ago, I decided I wanted one too. He decided he'd rather have a flip phone, so we just traded. We probably could have had our cell company switch the numbers, but didn't.

OMG. It took months for his friends to make the change, but hubby hasn't changed the number with several accounts, so when he he wants to change something, the text comes to my phone. He has some lame explanation I don't recall of why he can't change the number.

Then we moved to another state. Hubby changed to the new area code, I didn't. New onslaught of his friends calling me because his number no longer works.

Lesson: If you get a new number, you'll have to change all your accounts and notify all your friends, and there's a chance you'll get calls intended for the previous user of your new number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement