Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2022, 08:49 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Ok. I had wanted to buy a Moto phone at Walmart off the shelf and it came with an AT&T Sim Card. But Walmart has no one to help port a number or answer any questions. So I went to the AT&T store, mainly because I was with AT&T before and we've tried others and for some reason it's the only service we can connect to at this house. AT&T said they couldn't use that phone to connect me. Doesn't matter now. I just don't believe it.

So for a few reasons I ended up with a Moto One 5g ACE phone. Way too much $ and the tag price was less than what I was charged, even without the 1st month service and taxes and stuff. But it is what it is and here I am.

Ok I am navigating around this thing better. Somehow I got notifications on do not disturb. How do I get that off? How did I get that on?

Need to get a screen protector and case on this slippery thing. Difference of opinion on whether to get a built in protector with the case or get a case without and put one on myself. Is that hard to do? I went to 5 stores, nobody has a case for this apparently it's too new. Even AT&T store said they didn't. I want shock absorbing. Do I do glass or ___? suggestions please. I saw them everywhere online, didn't know what to order. Otter Box is too pricey and bulky, this thing barely fits in my purse pocket!

Having trouble turning this thing off also. Button on side then 3 options come up and I push turn off... and it starts up all by itself again. Not all the time.

Last question for now: do I have to have a Google account? I never had one on my computer. I guess that's not hard to do? My old phone was a dumb phone and had no online stuff, so no Google account. It sounds like AT&T just started up my voice mail like it was before, the prompts are the same though I haven't listened to my message yet to see if it's the same.

Thank you for putting up with my ignorance! I don't think it'll be as hard as I anticipated. I can feel how I'm getting more comfortable with it.
The big issue with buying a phone at Walmart, Best Buy, or any other non-carrier third party is that the carrier will often stub up if there is a support issue, then refer you back to the original point of purchase. Those places often don't have meaningful tech support, and refer you to the carrier. It's an endless loop.

You need a Google account to be able to download apps and such on Android phones. It's required for the application store.

You need to find the make and model of the phone, and look up tutorials on YouTube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 09:24 PM

43,181 posts, read 18,318,340 times
Quote:
Ok. I had wanted to buy a Moto phone at Walmart off the shelf and it came with an AT&T Sim Card. But Walmart has no one to help port a number or answer any questions. So I went to the AT&T store, mainly because I was with AT&T before and we've tried others and for some reason it's the only service we can connect to at this house. AT&T said they couldn't use that phone to connect me. Doesn't matter now. I just don't believe it.

So for a few reasons I ended up with a Moto One 5g ACE phone. Way too much $ and the tag price was less than what I was charged, even without the 1st month service and taxes and stuff. But it is what it is and here I am.

Ok I am navigating around this thing better. Somehow I got notifications on do not disturb. How do I get that off? How did I get that on?

Need to get a screen protector and case on this slippery thing. Difference of opinion on whether to get a built in protector with the case or get a case without and put one on myself. Is that hard to do? I went to 5 stores, nobody has a case for this apparently it's too new. Even AT&T store said they didn't. I want shock absorbing. Do I do glass or ___? suggestions please. I saw them everywhere online, didn't know what to order. Otter Box is too pricey and bulky, this thing barely fits in my purse pocket!

Having trouble turning this thing off also. Button on side then 3 options come up and I push turn off... and it starts up all by itself again. Not all the time.

Last question for now: do I have to have a Google account? I never had one on my computer. I guess that's not hard to do? My old phone was a dumb phone and had no online stuff, so no Google account. It sounds like AT&T just started up my voice mail like it was before, the prompts are the same though I haven't listened to my message yet to see if it's the same.

Thank you for putting up with my ignorance! I don't think it'll be as hard as I anticipated. I can feel how I'm getting more comfortable with it.

It's a smartphone so you don't turn it off. When I'm home I keep my iPhone in the charger. I don't turn it off.

I have both a screen protector and a LifeProof case for my iPhone. 2 separate products. I had a LifeProof on my old iPhone for years with no issue whatsoever so I got the same for my new iPhone.

Well worth the money IMHO.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's a smartphone so you don't turn it off. When I'm home I keep my iPhone in the charger. I don't turn it off.

I have both a screen protector and a LifeProof case for my iPhone. 2 separate products. I had a LifeProof on my old iPhone for years with no issue whatsoever so I got the same for my new iPhone.

Well worth the money IMHO.
Screen protectors need to be changed out regularly.

They're basically plastic covers, and get all sorts of fingerprints, grime, etc., on them, over the long term. I wouldn't keep one on more than a few months.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:09 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,602,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

They're basically plastic covers, and get all sorts of fingerprints, grime, etc., on them, over the long term. I wouldn't keep one on more than a few months.
Screen protectors (or the screens themselves) need to be carefully cleaned regularly. If you can't manage to do that, then replacing it is lazy (by my generation's standards) but whatever.

To my generation, a screen protector guards against scratches - not dirt - on your screen.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Screen protectors (or the screens themselves) need to be carefully cleaned regularly. If you can't manage to do that, then replacing it is lazy (by my generation's standards) but whatever.

To my generation, a screen protector guards against scratches - not dirt - on your screen.
You can buy a pack of screen protectors for $10-$15..

I bought my girlfriend an iPhone 13 regular for her birthday/Christmas gift. The screen protectors are stick-ons. Between general smudging and wear and tear, they need regular replacement. We had to replace one tonight. She doesn't use her phone half as much as I do.

They're not expensive.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:33 AM

23,876 posts, read 33,595,201 times
I want to post this for anyone changing from an iphone to android. I never knew that changing over can be so easy! I'll have to tell my daughter about it.

Move your stuff from iOS

Quote:

I looked up your Moto One 5g ACE phone. It says it's an android phone which is one that runs on Google, since you don't have a google account, my suggestion is to sign up for one. That will end up backing up your contacts, photos and apps because they run on google platform. That also gives you access to everything on your computer when you go to google, sign in, top right of the page is your name, to the left of it is an icon with dots, click the dots, all of the google app links are there. Click whichever you want, it will open.

After buying a new device to replace my old android, the set up screen asks if this will be a new device or if it's an upgrade device. When I select upgrade, it has me log in, then it does it's thing to get my contacts, photos and apps I had on my old device, installed on my new one, so your next device will be easier to replace.

I also went to Walmart's moto phones, they are right, the ones I'm seeing, will not work with AT&T unless you went to an AT&T prepaid plan. I assume that you have a monthly plan.

For a case, your best bet is to look online at the Motorola web site that I linked above. I only buy Otter boxes which have saved my phone from a lot of damage. Some how my Samsung tablet was on my car, I'm not one to even put my phone or tablet on the car, it was probably my daughter or grandson. I pulled out of my development, started going 30 something, when something flew off my car. Miraculously, my tablet was not damaged in any way.

I was carrying my Samsung cell and my grandson's Samsung cell, when they both dropped on the garage floor. Mine had no damage, it landed face down, my grandson's wasn't as lucky, his screen cracked. He has a cheap case on it.

Yes, Otter boxes are clunky, they're also expensive, but they're good insurance to keep my devices safe.

I put a screen protector on my cell 3 years ago, have not needed to replace it.

powering off a Moto One 5g ACE phone - To turn off the Motorola One 5G Ace, press and hold the power button on the side of the device.

motorola one 5G ACE help topics, I see at the top, sign in with google account is an option, so you'd probably get better help on their site if you did log in with your google account after making one.

How to power off or switch off Moto one power

Old 01-12-2022, 07:10 AM

4,615 posts, read 3,309,633 times
Here's a new problem just occurred yesterday. The status icons on the top of my Motorola 3+ (about 5 years old) suddenly disappeared. My niece said to get to settings, advanced settings, notifications, show notifications bar. But I didn't have that command on mine.

What I eventually found is that the icons had somehow turned black against my wallpaper, which is dark, and I had to change my wallpaper to a very light colored one so I could see the icons. Any idea what I did (so I can change it back)?

Old 01-12-2022, 07:56 AM

43,181 posts, read 18,318,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Mine is glass.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:44 AM

8,347 posts, read 6,441,137 times
Glass screen protectors last for years. Don't carry your phone in the same pocket with your keys.
I used to carry my phone in my back pocket, I fell on my rump. It cracked the glass screen protector but the phones screen underneith was undamaged.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:48 AM

4,063 posts, read 2,143,873 times
I don’t use my cell phone much, so probably shouldn’t be worried about this, but does anyone carry a portable charging device just in case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement