Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2022, 03:11 PM

16,205 posts, read 7,173,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yup my autocorrect is NOT always correct on this phone and I didn't catch it.

Speaking of autocorrect, or "damnyouautocorrect" as many call it, here's a lesson:

Autocorrect above your typing screen gives you suggestions for words it thinks you might be typing. You can tap the correct word suggestions to either have it finish the word for you or to select the correct word if you mistyped it.

BUT, autocorrect ALSO can change what you typed if it doesn't recognize that word to something it THINKS you mean.

Autocorrect ALSO "learns" from your word habits. It may already know that if you type "s s a" (one word, separated to keep it from doing exactly what explaining), it will automatically print SSA, because it already knows SSA is an acronym for Social Security Administration, so it won't let it be all lower case.

You can also "teach it".. there's three words suggested above. The far left is exactly what you typed, even if it doesn't recognize it. if you tap the far left word (which is exactly what you typed), it will learn that IS what you really meant.

BUT it can also use a similar word or a typo or "fat finger" mistake, or a common wrong word, and automatically put that there.

It's more annoying than anything else, hence it's why many call it "damnyouautocorrect"!!!

I once mistyped "pension", and damnyouautocorrect changed it to "pen*s", you can imagine how horrifying it was to see that! But thankfully I caught just one second before hitting the send button, or else the recipient might have wondered what my "package' had to do with money!

Best
Thank you doing this. A very useful thread.
My damnyouautocorrect changed City Univ. of New York from CUNY to something else that you can guess. I was shocked at is bad language and had to wash it out with soap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 08:32 PM

8,412 posts, read 6,514,468 times
I use the anticipated word a LOT in typing, very time saving and helpful to me.

Old 01-13-2022, 08:52 PM

6,790 posts, read 5,531,630 times
If you have to silence your phone, all you have to do is press the lower half of the volume button.
That will silence the phone.
Just remember to turn it back up as soon as you can!

If you have it set to vibrate as well as ring, it will still vibrate, alerting you to a call or message, but will make no sound.
Just a "zzz" "zzzz" "zzzz" as it vibrate s.

Only time I put it in airplane mode is when im ON an airplane.

But I'd you DO put it on airplane mode, be sure to take it OFF Airplane as soon as you can!

Mine is Android.

To the poster about boot In safe mode, YES you will always choose that. But if it's brand new phone, go to your provider of phone to ask why.

It really should not do that, and might also mean the phone is corrupted, either through virus or invasive corrupt app.

Best

Old 01-13-2022, 10:33 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,645,354 times
While I do agree about just leaving the phone on almost all the time, it is a good practice to restart the device once a week or something like that just like one should also do for their computer.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
While I do agree about just leaving the phone on almost all the time, it is a good practice to restart the device once a week or something like that just like one should also do for their computer.
Yes, one should select the "restart phone" option at least once a week.

But one should ALSO restart phone after updating the apps of system updates or service provider updates.

That allows it to activate the new features, any security patches, etc newly installed in the app or system updates.

This is VERY important.

Your phone should notify you when you have updates.
If not go to your app store and see if you have updates available.

Many can be updated using data, but some will tell you it's waiting for wifi. If you have home wifi, they'll all update on wifi.
If not go to, say a secure wifi at a medical facility, which may still be a public wifi, not so secure.

Best

Old 01-14-2022, 07:02 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,345,150 times
Yes, this "restart your phone" thing was discussed a few pages ago in this thread. Our smartphone instructor (yes, I took a class) said we should turn the phone right off about once a week to clear out any electronic glitches that get in them, just like laptops, etc.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:58 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,674,913 times
Oh for anybody wanting to limit what crap apps your phone tries to force on you, yea you cant delete them without rooting the phone, but I installed F-Droid in lieu of Google Play, found Discreet Launcher. It made it easy to hide the crap apps. When I turn phone on all I see is wallpaper and the small print stuff at top showing I am connected. Swipe up to see allowed apps. Can limit apps shown down to phone, messages, and camera if I want. Or suppose just phone if thats all I wanted. Makes life easier since you cant find simple phones anymore and wading through three pages junk apps preinstalled is painful. Oh and another app, Super Freez that supposed to keep background apps from automagically running. It seemed to speed phone up a bit but its not a panacea. Better to just be able to delete them out of hand. Yea you are supposed to be able to disable apps on phone natively, but that never seems to work, seems more of a feel good thing rather than doing anything practical. Its like the setting in your browser to tell websites not to collect your data, yea right....

Dont suppose anybody else find it that interesting, but found free app on F-Droid called Bubble. Turns cell phone into a spirit level, so if you want to mount that picture on wall of your house, it can tell you if you got it level. Its those little apps like that are truly useful. And no spyware included.

There was another called Text Launcher. It was as fast loading as anything I have seen, but it didnt have way to limit apps shown, it just showed all of them as text. If the text launcher had way to hide unwanted apps, it would be truly great. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Old 01-14-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Thank you doing this. A very useful thread.
My damnyouautocorrect changed City Univ. of New York from CUNY to something else that you can guess. I was shocked at is bad language and had to wash it out with soap.
Oh, yes I can imagine.

Just like my intended word "pension" became "pen*s", however my damnyouautocorrect mistake is at least a tolerable word. Lol, yours not so much.

If it helps any, I've HAD that mistake pop up too, though I don't use the acronym "CUNY" that often!

I've also had the "F" word inserted in my typing, though again, I don't remember what I was trying to type.

There is (or used to be, haven't checked in a while) a whole website called "damnyouautocorrect": website (you can imagine the extent in).
It shows some of the serious miswording "damnyouautocorrect" has done on people!
And yes, some can be, um, "dirty" so "some content may not be suitable for all audiences!"

Best

Old 01-14-2022, 08:36 PM

6,421 posts, read 11,634,084 times
For those who haven't seen it yet, an ode to damnyouautocorrect:

https://lingolero.com/2014/06/ode-to-a-spell-checker/

Old 01-15-2022, 08:14 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,345,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post

Dont suppose anybody else find it that interesting, but found free app on F-Droid called Bubble. Turns cell phone into a spirit level, so if you want to mount that picture on wall of your house, it can tell you if you got it level. Its those little apps like that are truly useful. And no spyware included.
Wow! What a great idea! I got my phone out and headed for the playstore to download it. Imagine my surprise to discover there are about 20 bubble level apps to choose from. How on earth to decide which one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement