Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2021, 11:01 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,541,558 times

Advertisements

Regarding passwords or numerical passcodes.

Each app may want you to set a password or passcode to use it.

I've developed a password or passcode pattern that means something to me, but not to others.
That way it's easier for me to remember when I need to sign in again.

I gave several patterns, each pattern relates to each type of app.

For instance, I have one pattern for retail/online shopping, and a different pattern for banking.

It makes it easier for me, but can be confusing to someone else trying to access my apps/information.

This should be nothing new to those of you who use computers.

This site, for example, CD itself has a password to access and use it. I have a totally different pattern of password for sites similar to this.

If you have a smartphone and forgot your password, you can have the site/app send you a notification via email or text do you can regain access if you forgot your password.

Someone noted above that an 8 digit password might be too long for the average person to remember, but as tech moves forward, required password/passcode s get more lengthy and complex. Especially for complex info, like banking.

To those annoyed by the "verification" messages, that is to help PROTECT YOU, and your sensitive information, such as banking.
If the site/app wants to send you a text or email, it will only go to you, on your smartphone or your email. It can't/won't go to anyone else.

I have had times where I've gotten a message asking if I was trying to access a site or app, and I was NOT. That means someone was trying to gain access to my info on that site/app. When I replied NO, that blocked whomever was trying to access my site/app/info from gaining that access.
Sure, it may be annoying or a pain, but it is to PROTECT YOU.

You wouldn't like it if someone was trying to gain access to your bank account, got into it, and then drained your bank account/s!!!

The reason I have different patterns,band different password s, is if you use the SAME one for everything, and a nefarious hackers gets that password, they can then access EVERYTHING you used that password/code for!

BEST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 11:09 AM

89,033 posts, read 85,593,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
This discussion just makes my eyes glaze over, LOL. Life has gotten way too complicated! I try to keep it simple but, as I say, "they" increasingly won't let me.
Well, a lot of what a smart phone can do, most of us will never use. I am eternally grateful for the GPS feature, or I would have spent a lot of time being lost in the past few years. I still carry a road atlas in my car, though.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:13 AM

22,130 posts, read 13,287,159 times
We managed to find our way around - and do everything else - BEFORE smart phones; personally, I think they just make us lazier and infinitely dumber!

Old 12-11-2021, 12:51 PM

89,033 posts, read 85,593,405 times
Quote:
We managed to find our way around - and do everything else - BEFORE smart phones; personally, I think they just make us lazier and infinitely dumber!
It depends on how you use them.

As mentioned, I love the GPS. Just today, I wanted to get a bottle of wine for later. I am staying in an unfamiliar area, and I had no idea where I could find a liquor store. I found the nearest one, and I used the GPS to get there.

It was a series of turns on unfamiliar roads. Yeah, guess I could have first found a store that sold a local paper map, but this took a few seconds to give me the info I needed.

Old 12-11-2021, 01:46 PM

And if the grid ever goes down, we'll all be as helpless as newborn babes.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:57 PM

11,674 posts, read 12,812,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
You don't need to "show" it, but just enter it like a password. One of my banks has an 8-digit code. I recall from my Psych labs, the average adult with a 100-IQ cannot recite back an 8-digit number on single hearing, so the security code requires above-average intellect.
There isn't something to "enter." The code is usually scanned by someone at the venue, such as a movie theater or live theater or even when you get your vaccine. You need to provide either a paper copy or show your screen on your cell phone.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:09 PM

15,654 posts, read 26,380,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
After my post several days ago I was actually afraid to come back. But I got a few reps and realized others might be feeling what I do about the bashing. Our society is much kinder about a whole slew of things than they are about technology. It's really too bad.

My 3G is going away. I have an extended keyboard on my phone so I can talk and text. It's a wonderful little phone, similar to a Blackberry. I don't like being left in the dust either, so there's that. So I simply must do something about this.

Dumb phones are really stupid right now. I saw one that was an old-style flip with the 10 buttons for texting, yuck, but somehow you could make the inside of the lid a touch screen to text. How long before that hinge broke doing that? Yuck.

So I took my mail ad to TMobile and find their smart phones go from $89.00 to thousands. Ok. The $29.50/month charge is only if you are opening the account thru the internet and only if you are setting up 2 lines at $29.50 each. So back to square 1.

I go over to AT&T, parking lot is so small there was not one parking spot. Consumer cellular in the only place it's available to buy only has someone to set you up an hour south or an hour north. Or online where you have a new phone sent through the mail...and that provides NO help whatsoever to a new user.

I realize this is not what the OP had in mind for this thread... but you see maybe how I am having trouble even getting started. Sigh...
The big places like AT&T and T-Mobile and there’s others, they have such a great market share they don’t need to kowtow to us. Anyhow go to Target online and find the Consumer Cellular Store near you in the Target.

Consumer Cellular is geared towards seniors. Their plans are very well priced. They have a number of phones including used ones I believe. I know for a fact they’re at Target because that’s where I usually go. When you call their customer service they don’t tell you you can do this online they actually have people who are willing to help you. And they understand that they’re dealing with seniors so they don’t talk 9465 miles a second. Honestly, sometimes I have to tell young people I can’t hear that fast.

I have yet to have someone speak down to me there. So all in all it’s been a very positive experience. And they just lowered their rates. I get one gig of data which I only use when I’m out of the house, and I have not had any issues with the phone not working in the service being a mess. I have connectivity with my car the maps work perfectly podcast show up perfectly for 22 something a month.. Also note I am an AARP member so I get a discount.

The keyboard, I use an iPhone, can be problematic for me. I almost exclusively use talk to text. It works best if you speak slowly and clearly. Sometimes I don’t and then I have to edit. If it’s an extremely long post that needs a lot of edits, I have an inexpensive Logitech keyboard that syncs to my phone. I really miss my backwards and forwards keyboard buttons — they made life so much easier but they took them away.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:10 PM

5,347 posts, read 6,070,312 times
Quote:
What grid?

Old 12-11-2021, 05:27 PM

Electricity. EMPs. Unless you have a solar "smart" phone!

Old 12-11-2021, 06:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,588,219 times
Quote:
Not quite. Batteries, power packs, propane/gas generators, solar, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement