Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2021, 07:50 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times

Advertisements

I am not resisting - I've used computers at work since 1987 for fee-based complex database searching, and owned personal computers in my home every year since 1996, own an iPad, and as I said in a post above, I prefer my Apple Mac laptop computer.

Your diatribe at post $#150 is laughable.

go back to your smartphone tips - no need to discuss this

Last edited by matisse12; 12-10-2021 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 08:58 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yes, it is a flimsy argument.

The world, and technology WILL move forward, with or without you.

As the Star Trek Voyager Borg says "you WILL be assimilated, resistance is futile"!

As everything, and I mean EVERYTHING moves into the digital world of the 21st century, you MAY be able to resist... for a while.

What are you going to do, if, say, at age 93 need to take a cab to the hospital and you "need an app for that", and the car is self-driving, and it needs to know where to go...via a smartphone app, in which you've entered your CC payment, destination and point of pick up?

Whether you like it or not, THAT IS coming!

You MAY be able to survive WITHOUT new tech, but you will literally become like a buggy whip maker in the 1920s, where Ford's cheap "automobiles" are taking over.

You will have a choice: you can keep making leather buggy whips (and wondering why you aren't selling many), or you can "get hip, get with it" and start making leather engine cover straps or leather seats for Ford's automobiles.

If you are already 93, you might just for without the need for a smartphone, but if you are 70, and live to 93, you may very well HAVE to adapt, and "get hip, get with it" in order to live in the CURRENT world and CURRENT technology.

You can only hide your head in the sand so long.

*Note: this post is NOT to "bash" those "resistant" to the new technology, but to give them a "reality check".

As I said earlier, and in other threads, in today's world, if you want to be "employable", you might find yourself NEEDING a smartphone.

Or, If well retired, you can TRY to resist, but if your 401k, IRA, or banking goes all electronic and REQUIRES you to adapt to smartphones apps, you can only resist so long, before it will become detrimental to your life.

And that's when someone, adapt at new tech, steps in, takes all your money and assets and licks you away in a home, where you STILL may need to enter your dinner menu on a tablet app.

This is just a reminder, that tech and the world...will move forward, and somewhere YOU WILL have to move WITH it.

Best to all, resistance or adapting.

So only those that are sighted with 20-20 vision and can afford the necessary technology are welcome in the future?

I assume there will still be ambulances and emergency services if you urgently need hospitalization. Most people will call 911 for you if you are unable.

Same way I assume still brokers and mutual funds that will allow transactions without a cell phone.

I am not thrilled with many online accounts now insisting on sending a code via text message to confirm my identity each and every time I log in. They are ASSUMING you have the technology and desire for this technology to meet THEIR desires. Most "free" email services now require you to have a cell phone to get an account. I high doubt its even possible to get a regular job anymore without a cell phone, cause boss wants you immediately available 24/7. I still remember old days when it was perfectly acceptable to simply enter "NO PHONE" on any form. Phones were a LUXURY. Now you cant continue until you enter a phone number. Not having a phone isnt an available option.....

Old 12-10-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
More and more financial institutions are doing this. I have to do this quite often with one or other of the places where we do business. It's got so I make sure I have the phone nearby if I'm going into a bank account or other financial place.

But you dont need a smart phone for this. Most flip/feature phones can do T9 texting and thus can receive basic texts. So can receive the code needed to log in. You just really dont want to have to send a very long text with T9 keyboard.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Rectangular IBM holes or Sperry/Univac round holes?
Pretty sure it was the rectangular ones. But couldnt prove it by me any more.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:56 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The camera on the 13 caught my attention.
Advanced photography tip: Much of the camera quality on phones is due to AI post-processing, not the camera sensor hardware itself. If anyone is both budget-conscious and a bit ambitious, you can shoot photos RAW (i.e. save 'unprocessed' files, may require an app download) and then use a program like DarkTable or Lightroom to process them yourself.

Probably only worthwhile if you have some interest in learning about digital photography. The built-in phone functionality is definitely more convenient.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:55 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Pretty sure it was the rectangular ones. But couldnt prove it by me any more.
Step one is to acquire an IBM 1402 machine.

Step two is to get a Raspberry Pi with a 1401 emulator on it.

Step three is to build an interface box from the Pi to the 1402.

Step four is to write an app for your phone that will communicate to the Pi.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
We ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to technology changing our lives and leaving people behind. Profits are in innovation and increasing productivity and that usually means folks adapting to new technologies. If you want to have value you may need to adapt. Other wise your only life/support line may be government.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:34 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I have so far refused to own or use one, but it seems to be reaching the point where I'll be forced to. And, yes, I'll need a class in it! All of life will soon be "digital only." It's horrible.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

I have so far refused to own or use one, but it seems to be reaching the point where I'll be forced to. And, yes, I'll need a class in it! All of life will soon be "digital only." It's horrible.
nah, you don't need to own or use a smartphone

Old 12-10-2021, 06:09 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Actually, I wanted to buy a season pass to something for next year and was told it's all digital now. So I guess I won't. I've also been issued digital rewards and gift cards that are supposed to be viewable/redeemable on my phone. Seems mailing me an actual plastic one is too much to ask these days!

Last edited by otterhere; 12-10-2021 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement