Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 07:51 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Here's something specific: our smartphone 101 (for real newbies and other non-technical types) teacher told us to completely shut down our phones by turning them right off, about once a week. This helps to clear out all the little electronic glitches they accumulate in them.
Oh, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 08:12 PM

17,548 posts, read 39,177,121 times
My husband and I have had Tracfones for years now, the last two being smartphones. We really only use ours for talk, text and limited email or FB. Some photos. It is all we will ever need. We purchase the yearly plan with unlimited talk and text and I forget how much data. Mine is pushing 4 years now, so probably will have to upgrade soon, something I don't like to do....

Old 12-15-2021, 08:33 PM

6,044 posts, read 3,762,553 times
Quote:
Here's something specific: our smartphone 101 (for real newbies and other non-technical types) teacher told us to completely shut down our phones by turning them right off, about once a week. This helps to clear out all the little electronic glitches they accumulate in them.
I don't see the point in leaving your smartphone on at night when you're sleeping. You might use that time to charge the phone. I can't see a person waking up at 3 AM and deciding to call someone. If they did want to do that, they could turn their phone on.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:13 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,587,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I don't see the point in leaving your smartphone on at night when you're sleeping. You might use that time to charge the phone.
You can charge it overnight without turning it off.

I just plug mine in before going to bed, never considered actually powering it off every night.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:34 AM

6,777 posts, read 5,497,243 times
Quote:
I don't see the point in leaving your smartphone on at night when you're sleeping. You might use that time to charge the phone. I can't see a person waking up at 3 AM and deciding to call someone. If they did want to do that, they could turn their phone on.
While what you say can be true, if you have family, and it's a 3 am emergency, they WILL call!

Now, if you also have a landline they can reach you on, sure, turn off your smartphone.

We only have smartphones, no landline, so yes I leave my smartphone on all the time.

It will "go to sleep", while on the night stand.

Best

Old 12-16-2021, 06:40 AM

6,777 posts, read 5,497,243 times
Here are a few options to get you into using a smartphone.

1) jitterbug.
They have a set program, such as talk, text, internet buttons (plus more).

2) great call.
They have similar preprogrammed apps that do the same.

These two also have an Emergency button, so if it's an emergency, it will immediately connect you.

Not all smartphones operate in a similar manner, but they can help "get your feet wet" into the world of smartphones.

Best

Old 12-16-2021, 06:59 AM

4,615 posts, read 3,310,927 times
Quote:
Nighttime is the time when you REALLY want them to be on and ready to use. Lots of accidents happen in the middle of the night and to struggle with calling 911 when your phone isn't even on negates the whole idea of having a phone in the first place.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:24 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,938,470 times
Quote:
It's probably been mentioned here but you can set your phone up as follows (at least for Android, assume similar for iPhone).

Go to "Settings" - "Sound" and select "Do Not Disturb".

Under that setting you can customize/control what notifications you want to receive. For example you can silence text message notifications, but allow calls. You can limit the calls to all your contacts, starred contacts or allow all calls. This is a very useful setting if you have someone out there than likes to continuously text stuff at 2 or 3 in the morning (don't ask why I might be interested in this).

I think that the default setting is to block texts but allow contacts to call. I prefer to allow all calls in case of an emergency as someone else had mentioned here. I guess if you had a problem with a certain individual calling at night, you could block them as a specific DND exception. Worth noting that most spammers stop calling after 8 PM (at least in my experience).

You can toggle "Do Not Disturb" on and off by pulling down from the top of your phone, where you will see the icon. You can also schedule when you want "Do Not Disturb" to be active, but have never used it. One problem with invoking DND manually, is that you might forget to turn it off. I did this once, and went a day wondering why I was not getting text notifications!

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 12-16-2021 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-16-2021, 07:50 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,938,470 times
Quote:
Good habit to get into, for me it's every few days. A cell phone is essentially no different that a PC or a laptop computer; the main difference is that unlike Windows or similar operating systems, the user has very little control over the management of the OS. What little control is available is usually under the "Settings", which folks find out quickly are very limited and a lot more difficult to use and understand than the "control panel" you usually have on a laptop or PC.

What generally happens is that a smartphone, like a PC gets progressively flakier over time as you install/delete apps - part of the reason is that many apps are poorly written, the app and the phone do not do a good job of "cleaning up" after themselves. Eventually the device gets unstable.

You may hear an argument that Google's Android is less stable than Apple's iOS. This was certainly true back in the days of Windows versus Mac, but I have seen problems with iOS as well as with Android. But in general iOS seems to be more stable than Android. (your mileage may vary)

Old 12-16-2021, 08:29 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,587,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
But in general iOS seems to be more stable than Android. (your mileage may vary)
Big time, because Android is far more customizable so there are all sorts of versions. Some are relatively close to pure Android (like Google Pixel) but others have all their own different GUI, OS layer, customizations that you can't remove including bloatware that isn't easy to remove. With iOS it's going to be an Apple Product, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement