Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 11:25 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,176,218 times

Advertisements

Thank you Roselvr for link. Had to listen to it several times to get through his accent. But what he was doing to shut off his phone is exactly what I was doing. I just tried it and I am still getting that dumb message about rebooting in safe mode. I haven't used my wify for anything, though I've checked a couple times and it easily connects to it. Haven't clicked on the browser, haven't been on the internet. I don't know why I should get that message when I try to shut down. I certainly haven't put anything bad in here. So far I've only made a few calls, answered a few calls, and texted back and forth with 2 people.

The things I've done in here are simple things, changed ring tones, changed tone for incoming texts (I think), changed brightness, added a wallpaper on home page, added an unlock code. Code is annoying, seems to come up too often, very annoying. I lengthened the time before it goes to sleep. Every time it goes to sleep when I bring it back up I have to put the 4 digit code in. Is this normal?

2 friends looked at it, they have Moto's also but different models and their's are very different and don't operate like mine at all. Yes, I still have to look for videos specific to mine. Even the video Roselvr noted had a different looking phone than mine, just the camera configuration in the back, but it did seem the same otherwise, at least the side buttons.

I got an Otter Box which came today and a tempered glass protector. I put the OB on which was easy but I know I must take it off to do the glass. I watched a video on that. I thought it would have more texture on it, but it does make holding this slippery thing easier and it's not as bulky as I thought.

I'm getting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 06:25 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,340,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I've done the google "how do I" (thanks for that idea, should have thought of that). It tells me to tap and hold on the item for 2 seconds. Then it will be selected, and I can press the three dots (more), and one of the selections is delete. Going to try this but haven't yet. Thanks, everyone, and will let you know if I manage.
Yes, this works. As soon as I learned how to "select" items in my download place, all I have to do is select the item of interest, then the trash can comes up as a selection in case I want to delete the item.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:37 AM

43,553 posts, read 18,630,427 times
Quote:
Yes, this works. As soon as I learned how to "select" items in my download place, all I have to do is select the item of interest, then the trash can comes up as a selection in case I want to delete the item.
Besides the "how do I ..." on google you can also bring up YouTube and do the same "how do I..." and get a list of videos that show you how to do something.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:55 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,176,218 times
So I see this thread is dying a slow death here. But I have a quick question. Android phone here. Scrolling up from the bottom brings up recent things I've been doing...like the weather app I put in... and I'm told that runs in the background and uses up battery life. So, is that correct and how do I get those recent things shut off so they're not running in the background? Swiping it off does not seem to get rid of it. I don't want to get rid of the app, just shut it off so it's not running. Did I ask that correctly?

Never thought I'd get here, but I love this phone. Mainly because I went to an event and now have pictures of a lot of loved ones and have shared them with friends back here. That's priceless and worth all of this effort in learning it. Lots I still can't do I'm sure, but I'm getting there. One thing I'd recommend: write down all your passwords...because I had mine in the computer...went out of town and relative and I were trying to put in email and google stuff and guess what, I couldn't remember the passwords so now I have to limp through that myself as I'm home and have my cheat sheet! Thanks guys.

Old 02-09-2022, 05:29 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,626,116 times
Pat I'd recommend you first go check which apps are using the most battery to make sure you're not trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

On my Android phone it's settings -> battery -> view detailed usage, you should have something similar to see which apps are the worst offenders. I can also go to settings -> battery -> battery optimization to see a list of apps, for each one I can set it's battery profile to make it restrict the apps background activities.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:12 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,340,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post

The things I've done in here are simple things, changed ring tones, changed tone for incoming texts (I think), changed brightness, added a wallpaper on home page, added an unlock code. Code is annoying, seems to come up too often, very annoying. I lengthened the time before it goes to sleep. Every time it goes to sleep when I bring it back up I have to put the 4 digit code in. Is this normal?

I'm getting there.
When I got this new phone - a Motorola Pure, whatever that is (all I know is it was one of the cheapest smart phones and the most like the other Motorola I had). At any rate, I had the option when setting it up of saying not to have ANY codes to put in to lock it. I hate having to put a code into my own phone to use it. Maybe there is someone on this forum who knows if you can undo this locking thing after initial setup.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:04 AM

1,510 posts, read 822,347 times
Quote:
When I got this new phone - a Motorola Pure, whatever that is (all I know is it was one of the cheapest smart phones and the most like the other Motorola I had). At any rate, I had the option when setting it up of saying not to have ANY codes to put in to lock it. I hate having to put a code into my own phone to use it. Maybe there is someone on this forum who knows if you can undo this locking thing after initial setup.
The nice thing about an iPhone is you can use your face to unlock the phone or some of the lower price models you can scan your fingerprint.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:14 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,626,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
The nice thing about an iPhone is you can use your face to unlock the phone or some of the lower price models you can scan your fingerprint.
The nice thing about modern phones, you mean. Face and fingerprint scanning aren't unique to one brand.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:58 PM

1,510 posts, read 822,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The nice thing about modern phones, you mean. Face and fingerprint scanning aren't unique to one brand.
They just work better and quicker on an iPhone.

Old 02-12-2022, 07:09 AM

4,762 posts, read 4,469,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That is theoretical. I enabled both of those features, yet 9 times out of 10 it tells me my fingerprint is not a match. So, needless to say, I am a fan of the enter the pin to unlock.
With my previous phones I never had it lock with a pin. As I am doing more and more with it, I realized that having a pin made a lot of sense. DH had been nagging me big time so I finally did and admit that he was right.
It really is a good thing to have "some" security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement