Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 05:45 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Wow! What a great idea! I got my phone out and headed for the playstore to download it. Imagine my surprise to discover there are about 20 bubble level apps to choose from. How on earth to decide which one?

I thought it was pretty cool. Just watch out, seemingly simple innocuous apps collect data and spy. So not all are equally desirable. Frankly there is no reason in world Bubble app should need to phone home or other such things. There were articles about some of the flashlight apps some years back doing that. Luckily its pretty common for phones to just include that one along with calculator, etc. I think open source apps for phone, like open source software for computers is way to go. Lot less chance of greed blinding people from making a simple safe app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 09:41 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,435,284 times
What do people do with their old phones? I just sold my old one on Swappa. Their website is hard to figure out, when I finally got my listing completed it sold in only a couple of hours.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:45 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
I've seen reverse vending machines, where you can get money for your old phone. I assume you'd get a much better deal elsewhere

Old 01-19-2022, 10:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
We donate ours, at our local library. They're still good for emergency communications, and they get given to crime victims (usually domestic violence victims).

Old 01-19-2022, 11:48 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We donate ours, at our local library. They're still good for emergency communications, and they get given to crime victims (usually domestic violence victims).

I think unless you can use it on wifi, that any without VOLTE or HD Voice cant make any calls all too soon. Tmobile already requires VoLTE to their standards and ATT going to require your phone be one of their whitelisted phones in February. They arent going to keep older equipment functioning on their end, just so people can make emergency calls with an old phone. Phones that cant make calls are not super useful. I have one I use as a dedicated FM radio, flashlight button also works, and of course could use one with functional apps like flashlight, spirit level, or calculator. Or camera. Not most convenient keeping phone charged that isnt used daily. Like say no idea if you can still make emergency calls via wifi on outdated phone. But guessing somebody in an emergency wont have it all set up for that.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:11 PM

43,126 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
What do people do with their old phones? I just sold my old one on Swappa. Their website is hard to figure out, when I finally got my listing completed it sold in only a couple of hours.
I recycle all my devices via Apple. I keep my phones until they are no longer supported so they wouldn't be good to anyone.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:53 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Did you first go to settings and do an FBI wipe and factory reset?

We still have our old phone s, the data memory and sim card can be removed.

They can be recycled on electronic collection days at the landfill.

You can sell it as noted above (only after FBI wipe and factory reset).

Our Walmart has a machine to buy back phones in the entryway. Not so sure what they offer or how you get paid.

Best

Old 01-21-2022, 07:20 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times
I have two things that I downloaded to my android phone by mistake. I would love to know how to delete these things. I don't see any way to do it.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:02 AM

43,126 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I have two things that I downloaded to my android phone by mistake. I would love to know how to delete these things. I don't see any way to do it.
Google is your friend when it comes to "how do I ....". Both support pages and videos pop up that can help you do what you want.

I typed "How do I delete apps from android phone" and this popped up:

https://support.google.com/googlepla.../2521768?hl=en

Old 01-21-2022, 08:59 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times
I should have been more specific. These are not apps that I've downloaded. One is an orchestral part of a symphony, and the other is an attachment from an email. So they are documents.

Added: I've done the google "how do I" (thanks for that idea, should have thought of that). It tells me to tap and hold on the item for 2 seconds. Then it will be selected, and I can press the three dots (more), and one of the selections is delete. Going to try this but haven't yet. Thanks, everyone, and will let you know if I manage.

Last edited by ndcairngorm; 01-21-2022 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: added para.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement