Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 10:20 AM

83 posts, read 55,916 times

Advertisements

have to agree with the other posters. We may not have identified the source of stress per se, but it's not natural for humans to hide the face or muzzle the mouth. It's a human nature / deep-rooted need to see faces from birth on. There was a study where the mother of a newborn was told to hold her face still and expressionless when she looked at her baby. The baby didn't have the human feedback it expected (via facial expression) and immediately cried non-stop until they saw the mother responded with facial expressions. I find this fascinating that we're so willing to give that part up of our human-hood. My sleep has suffered for the first time in my life. So has my mental health. God knows what it's doing to our overall health to be forced into anti-social behaviors, so it's no surprise your sleep has suffered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 10:32 AM

1,250 posts, read 677,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
The last few months, maybe 4-5, my dreams flip from one to another and are so real that it's like I feel I am still in it even when I wake up. Most of them are little pieces of my past, all woven together. Sometimes they just go from one situation to another with no intermission.

They are not scary; I do not feel afraid. I have not been extremely anxious lately other than worry about covid, but even that has not been on my mind. No new meds either. Nothing has changed in my life recently. I usually see my mother and sometimes my father (who have passed) in them. Also I see my grown kids but they are much younger. I have often seen an old boss who was mean and did not like me at all. The feeling was mutual. Others are strangers to me, but seem to know me from somewhere.

What causes this? Google says it's probably stress and one's subconscious trying to come up to consciousness. Or, maybe an unknown illness?

Just wondering if anyone else in our age bracket has these dreams? If so, what does it mean? It happens nearly every night.
Do you think you are getting ready to pass?

Old 12-14-2021, 10:54 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
I am also a very vivid dreamer and as others have posted sometimes it appears I am directing the dream. I often remember them in great detail which drives my family crazy, as I feel I have to tell them to keep the memories fresh.

I have had the same sort of dreams even as a young child, so it's not new to aging or stress level. At least not in my case.

I just wish I could fly like I do in my dreams. What I don't like is that I seem to dream a lot about having trouble getting into spaces. It will be a staircase, but there are no bottom steps, or a super tight narrow space and no one else has trouble getting in.

My husband has night terrors and is always fighting someone, has actually punched or kicked me a few times. We sleep with the comforter rolled up between us, hasn't kicked me since. But the angry yelling isn't fun at 3am! He never remembers. He has never yelled or even raised his voice to anyone is his life! Maybe if he did he could work out some demons!

Old 12-14-2021, 10:56 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
The last few months, maybe 4-5, my dreams flip from one to another and are so real that it's like I feel I am still in it even when I wake up. Most of them are little pieces of my past, all woven together. Sometimes they just go from one situation to another with no intermission.
Has there been a change in your eating?

I find when I am in Ketosis, I have vivid dreams (sometimes nightmares)

That usually happens when I eat less carbs and I finished eating earlier in the day.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:07 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I am also a very vivid dreamer and as others have posted sometimes it appears I am directing the dream. I often remember them in great detail which drives my family crazy, as I feel I have to tell them to keep the memories fresh.

I have had the same sort of dreams even as a young child, so it's not new to aging or stress level. At least not in my case.

I just wish I could fly like I do in my dreams. What I don't like is that I seem to dream a lot about having trouble getting into spaces. It will be a staircase, but there are no bottom steps, or a super tight narrow space and no one else has trouble getting in.

My husband has night terrors and is always fighting someone, has actually punched or kicked me a few times. We sleep with the comforter rolled up between us, hasn't kicked me since. But the angry yelling isn't fun at 3am! He never remembers. He has never yelled or even raised his voice to anyone is his life! Maybe if he did he could work out some demons!
Same thing with my DH. He never remembers what the nightmare was, or even that he had one. I got whacked in the head early in our relationship, so I give him his "space" when sleeping.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:15 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
I call them "story dreams". For me, they are connected to medication, usually taking aspirin for a bad spell of arthritis, or a mixture of allergy meds , aspirin, tylenol over the course of a few days.

I don't like the dreams and I take it as a sign to clean up my system by stopping the extra crap.

Mine aren't nightmares but they are not pleasant and disturb my sleep. Good dreams enhance it

Old 12-14-2021, 11:29 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post

Wow, my husband is the same. He is the most low-key, kind, non-argumentative person I've ever met but the past few years he's been having "monster" dreams, like when he was a little kid. He doesn't get sleep paralysis, so he twitches, talks in his sleep, then progresses to kicking and shouting and flailing and a couple times has jumped out of bed, even falling down. He says "monsters" are after him. It's kind of scary for me.

Otherwise, he never raises his voice either! I yell and slam doors and never have bad dreams, lol.
Maybe you are on to something re "working out the demons", LOL.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:41 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
So, just the other night in my dream I went to my Dad's house (who has passed). Finding him not home, I started to watch a movie on a DVD player that was built in to this red sofa (which he never had). After a few minutes, I decided to just take the sofa home and finish watching the movie there. So, with the help of a couple gangbangers who were hanging around, I loaded the sofa into a truck (which I don't own) and took the sofa home. As the dream ended, my only concern was how so sneak the sofa back into my Dad's house. All seemed perfectly normal.

So, is this the kind of weird dream you're talking about ?

Old 12-14-2021, 11:51 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
I have always had very vivid dreams and I do now. My dreams can be quite bizarre, a clockwork orange mash up of people I knew at different ages, co-workers, friends, relatives, locations, situations. Of course my subconscious is causing them, but what difference does it make? I don't think they mean anything.
Quote:

They are not scary; I do not feel afraid. I have not been extremely anxious lately other than worry about covid, but even that has not been on my mind. No new meds either. Nothing has changed in my life recently. I usually see my mother and sometimes my father (who have passed) in them. Also I see my grown kids but they are much younger. I have often seen an old boss who was mean and did not like me at all. The feeling was mutual. Others are strangers to me, but seem to know me from somewhere.

What causes this? Google says it's probably stress and one's subconscious trying to come up to consciousness. Or, maybe an unknown illness?

Just wondering if anyone else in our age bracket has these dreams? If so, what does it mean? It happens nearly every night.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:54 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
The minds distorted surrealistic rendering of things past on final replay before the big sleep cancels out everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement