Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 07:35 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times

Advertisements

While handling several stressful times in my life I had a particular repetitive dream that troubled me. During this time my mom was getting progressively sicker and enduring many medical appointments (sometimes multiple per week) and surgeries. It fell on me to coordinate, drive her to, and deal with her doctors and care, and her frequent hospitalizations, for several years. Meanwhile I had a full-time job, and a long commute, and was living alone after a divorce, and handling the purchase of my first new home as a single woman. So yes, I was stressed out for about 3 years.

My dreams were consistently about ascending or descending a big hill/mountain in my truck. The road would get steeper and steeper, until at some point it was vertical and my truck would simply fall through space, and I would wake up before impact. In one dream, I even drove up a high arching bridge and at the summit of the bridge, high above the bay, the road simply stopped and drivers had to "jump the gap" like Dukes of Hazzard to reach the other side of the bridge. I launched my truck through the air, but I was not going fast enough to reach the other side, and fell hundreds of feet towards the water. It was clearly my subconscious trying to tell me that I was taking on more than I could handle, that the "road I was on" was simply becoming untenable. After my mom's death, I never had those dreams again. It was only after the dreams had stopped that I realized what they were trying to tell me about my life.

Last edited by TheShadow; 12-17-2021 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 09:24 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My dreams were consistently about ascending or descending a big hill/mountain in my truck. The road would get steeper and steeper, until at some point it was vertical and my truck would simply fall through space, and I would wake up before impact. In one dream, I even drove up a high arching bridge and at the summit of the bridge, high above the bay, the road simply stopped and drivers had to "jump the gap" like Dukes of Hazzard to reach the other side of the bridge. I launched my truck through the air, but I was not going fast enough to reach the other side, and fell hundreds of feet towards the water. It was clearly my subconscious trying to tell me that I was taking on more than I could handle, that the "road I was on" was simply becoming untenable. After my mom's death, I never had those dreams again. It was only after the dreams had stopped that I realized what they were trying to tell me about my life.
It's understandable. You were feeling a sense of out of control of your life.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:49 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
My husband has night terrors and is always fighting someone, has actually punched or kicked me a few times. We sleep with the comforter rolled up between us, hasn't kicked me since. But the angry yelling isn't fun at 3am! He never remembers. He has never yelled or even raised his voice to anyone is his life! Maybe if he did he could work out some demons![/quote]

———————————————— ———————————————— ———————————————— —————-

This sounds a little like me a few months back, not the yelling though.
I’ve no idea what if anything triggered it, but over the space of a couple of months I had two weird dreams that I recall, where I was fighting someone, and ended up on the floor of the bedroom.
No idea what the conflict in the first dream was about, but a guy was lashing out at me with lefts and rights, and I saw the opportunity to kick his upper thigh, and drew back my leg and kicked out hard.
Next thing I’m laying dazed on the bedroom carpet with blood dripping from a gash on my ear lobe and a long graze on my upper arm which was seeping blood too.
I had fallen between the bed and the nightstand, getting the gash and grazes from the oak nightstand.
THEN the yelling started, “You clown, you’re dripping blood all over the carpet, don’t even think about getting back in bed until you’ve stopped that bleeding!” That was my sympathetic wife!
In the second dream I’m walking across a large parking lot, toward the London Black Cab that I drove before I retired in 2012, it was parked next to a wooden fence.
As I approached, a guy walked up to the cab, opened the rear passenger door and proceeded to urinate on to the floor of the cab.
Remember, this is all in a dream, so I punch the guy in the ear and as he hits the ground he tries to kick me, but I see it coming and kick him in the cojones.
The impetus of following through put me back on the bedroom floor again, with grazes, a black eye, and torn off skin on my arm as I once again bounce down the gap between bed and nightstand.
Having had her fill of this, my wife insists that I stuff cushions between the bed and the nightstand now, but that proved to be the last cauchemar I had.
I still have no idea where these dreams came from but my wife said, “If you have another one and grab hold of me to keep you from falling out again, you’re a dead man!”

Old 12-17-2021, 11:03 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,358 times
I have a recurring dream about being in an elevator and while traveling, it begins to rotate until it's upside down. Sometimes I'm alone and sometimes there are other strangers with me. It's a terrifying dream but pretty easy to decipher because it only comes when I'm enduring some intense, continuous stress that I can't easily resolve.

I think it's a metaphor for feeling unmoored and life feeling unsettled or "upside down". It's extremely scary and I'm usually jolted awake trying to scream.

I used to have wondrous and beautiful recurring dreams of being able to fly - either through a starry night sky or above scenic landscapes or azure oceans. I haven't had that one for a long time and wish they would return because I feel so light and free in them.

More and more as I age, the dreams are unsettling; usually just annoying or low-grade miserable. I think because it can be scary aging and not knowing exactly what to expect toward the end.

Old 12-18-2021, 02:38 AM

This should have been my reply to Siduvall’s post # 13, but somehow gremlins got in and eradicated it, hope this makes sense.

I’ve no idea what if anything triggered it, but over the space of a couple of months I had two weird dreams that I recall, where I was fighting someone, and ended up on the floor of the bedroom.
No idea what the conflict in the first dream was about, but a guy was lashing out at me with lefts and rights, and I saw the opportunity to kick his upper thigh, and drew back my leg and kicked out hard.
Next thing I’m laying dazed on the bedroom carpet with blood dripping from a gash on my ear lobe and a long graze on my upper arm which was seeping blood too.
I had fallen between the bed and the nightstand, getting the gash and grazes from the oak nightstand.
THEN the yelling started, “You clown, you’re dripping blood all over the carpet, don’t even think about getting back in bed until you’ve stopped that bleeding!” That was my sympathetic wife!
In the second dream I’m walking across a large parking lot, toward the London Black Cab that I drove before I retired in 2012, it was parked next to a wooden fence.
As I approached, a guy walked up to the cab, opened the rear passenger door and proceeded to urinate on to the floor of the cab.
Remember, this is all in a dream, so I punch the guy in the ear and as he hits the ground he tries to kick me, but I see it coming and kick him in the cojones.
The impetus of following through put me back on the bedroom floor again, with grazes, a black eye, and torn off skin on my arm as I once again bounce down the gap between bed and nightstand.
Having had her fill of this, my wife insists that I stuff cushions between the bed and the nightstand now, but that proved to be the last cauchemar I had.
I still have no idea where these dreams came from but my wife said, “If you have another one and grab hold of me to keep you from falling out again, you’re a dead man!”[/quote]

Old 12-18-2021, 02:40 AM

This is the third time that I’ve tried to submit this in reply to slduval’s post # 13, if it goes missing again I’ll give up!

I still have no idea where these dreams came from but my wife said, “If you have another one and grab hold of me to keep you from falling out again, you’re a dead man!”[/quote]

Old 12-18-2021, 10:37 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
My husband has a recurring dream that he flies and can sing opera while up in the air flying all over the land singing his heart out!

Wish I had THAT DREAM!

Old 12-28-2021, 10:55 AM

83 posts, read 55,991 times
As I age, one dream that sticks with me is the one where my parents and siblings are all floating a huge waterpark leading into the sea. We're all on inner-tubes but one parent and one sibling is on the comfy air mattress together. The waves are chaotic. I tried to grab their hands. I felt desperation because they were all floating away from me. It was the saddest dream because I was powerless to grab their hands and they would not take my hand. It was about three or four years ago but it still brings such sadness to me. Since then I've lost some of the key people in this dream.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:18 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
I usually have forgotten the details of mine shortly after waking up. I do for a few remember a highlight or two. I don't have them that often. Infrequently one that seemed to be a bit scary. Most often something I didn't get done at a point in life that really did get done. Some times a paper I forgot to turn in years ago but really did etc etc.

Old 01-03-2022, 02:34 PM

749 posts, read 580,342 times
Thereare 2 theories. One is that elements of the dream have a universal meaning. Symbolic. The other is that each person is unique and their dreams have different meanings for everyone. I tend to agree with that. I never knew anyone who could understand their dreams or someone else's. I began writing down my memorable dreams in a journal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement