Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 11:25 AM

15,259 posts, read 13,087,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Might I suggest that you hire someone to evaluate the work they have done and evaluate your roof in general? Someone that is not selling a new roof. I found these "retired" guys because I put some comments on NextDoor and someone in my neighborhood's dad was the first retired roofer. He just had his knees replaced so he could only do so much and he referred me to his other retired friend who came over and crawled up on the roof. Of the several roofers I had out and these retired guys I was able to understand the current condition of my roof; that I had "over-maintained" it and a reasonable plan moving forward. Same scenario with my foundation (I spent $15k versus an original estimate of $50k).
That is an excellent suggestion. I will do as you did: Go on NextDoor and find someone who can evaluate the repairs.

Quote:
I forgot the other part of the roof story. I paid half the repair. I only paid the other half after I had the repair redone. I then had it evaluated before they got the other half. The company itself came out to look at what the subcontractor had and hadn't done (yes, the sub was attempting to scrxw me). And, yes, I'd say this guy you describe is trying to get his money before you find out they did a crxp arse job.

Ice in Arizona? How? Even CA, how?
It's been in the thirties here recently. However, this does beg the question of why the roof was leaking six months ago, then again during September's monsoon.

You've been a big help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 11:28 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,046,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Sounds like a scam to me. A verbal estimate and agreement means nothing as far as I know.
I agreed.

Usually a quote is in writing. Signed by both parties before work can begin. Sometime it's even more complicated and need a contract written.

Is the roof damage covered by HOI? I had my roof repair due to hail damage and it was cover by HOI, but an agent will need to come and review & approve the repair first.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:28 AM

16,250 posts, read 10,943,971 times
I live in New Mexico, the land of mañana, so I no longer expect workers to actually show up at the time they say they will. They also often take longer to do the job. I hired a guy to install a sliding patio door in April and it was done in September. Part of the problem is that the good workers are booked up for months but can't or won't say no to new customers. But then you have the guys that show up the afternoon of the morning you first contact them when you don't expect them for a couple days. I have had both kinds. I once had to call three plumbers to do a simple job before one showed up. With a couple exceptions, the work is usually done satisfactorily. I have had roofers, interior painters, exterior stucco painters, a brick floor guy, a pond guy, heating and cooling guys, and yard clean-up guys. I had a well-established company that took care of the swamp cooler and my boiler system, but they could not find their butt with both hands. I switched to another service company that are on time and actually know what they are doing. I don't think this is just a retiree experience.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:30 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,046,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If someone without permission comes around the back and starts looking into windows, that's a problem..
Tell your roofers that you HAVE A GUN! Next time you see someone peeping through the window you will not hesitate to shoot. This is Arizone, an open carry state, EVERYONE has a gun.

See if that solves the problem.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:31 AM

43,753 posts, read 18,781,145 times
Quote:
Perhaps I should have been suspicious when they were the only roofers who returned my initial call. There's been a lot of rain here. Other companies I tried didn't respond.
Yikes...yes that happens after any type of storm. Easy money to be had since people want their roofs fixed.

Seen it too many times while living in Texas. Ended up with a metal roof and my roofing problems disappeared.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:44 AM

15,259 posts, read 13,087,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Tell your roofers that you HAVE A GUN! Next time you see someone peeping through the window you will not hesitate to shoot. This is Arizone, an open carry state, EVERYONE has a gun.

See if that solves the problem.

Don't be silly.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:49 AM

12,114 posts, read 6,649,832 times
Fluffy,
Sorry you experienced that — so frustrating….
Having gone through similar type misadventures, we only use handymen or workers now who are referred to us by friends or on Nextdoor.

We have a large house with a complex roof with many angles and often have trouble with tiles blowing off during bad storms. Our roofer uses a drone and takes pictures to show us exactly what’s going on then gives us estimate of cost. Usually only about $100 to replace tiles.
We have him drone our roof every year just to make sure it’s all there and stable. No charge for the drone or pictures as he knows he will get any work.
Most roofers and roof repairmen use drones here now

Old 12-22-2021, 11:59 AM

43,753 posts, read 18,781,145 times
Quote:
That is an excellent suggestion. I will do as you did: Go on NextDoor and find someone who can evaluate the repairs.

It's been in the thirties here recently. However, this does beg the question of why the roof was leaking six months ago, then again during September's monsoon.

You've been a big help.
Isn't that doing the same thing using a different venue ?

Why not ask your neighbors first ? Or someone you know ?
Or even your realtor if you are there just a few years.

I wouldn't take recommendations from strangers.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:14 PM

14,303 posts, read 14,909,706 times
The roofing business is full of alcoholics and druggies. If not the owner, a goodly amount of the workers are.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:14 PM

8,839 posts, read 5,171,799 times
Living a a large (18,000) over 55 community, workmen are reliable. Word travels like wildfire. You know who is good, and who isn`t. Plus we have many retired plumbers and carpenters, electricians and just about anything else you need, including lawyers. Facebook is good for this reason.
There are roofers who will not get a job in my community, because of word of mouth. That is more then 9,000 homes, in their area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement