Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 12:42 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
One thing turned me off about Tucson area homes are the flat roof architecture. They all look like little White Castle restaurants with earth-tone paints.
Thats one thing I didn't like when I lived in scottsdale, all the homes were the same earth tone color. bleh Glad I don't live there anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 12:54 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Thats one thing I didn't like when I lived in scottsdale, all the homes were the same earth tone color. bleh Glad I don't live there anymore.
Exactly!! At least in California they paint houses with all different colors. It's much prettier to look at other than beige!

Old 12-23-2021, 12:57 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I am having a dilly of a time with some roofers. Perhaps you have had such, too.

The initial contact was reasonable enough. We have high ceilings, so the roofs are much higher than either of us want to climb a ladder to. The guy went up on the roof, took a look around, confirmed what I already expected: We had massive leaf accumulation on the roof that was creating pools of -- get this -- ice. Yes, ice on our roof. The ice melt was seeping in through "blisters" in our foam roof. We had leaks in two areas.

He quoted me a price, I said OK and ever since then they've been difficult. They have my phone number but never call before arriving. They just show up and start pounding on my front door. It takes me a few minutes to put my shoes and a mask on, then when I get outside they're gone.

Unbeknownst to me, they (supposedly) did the patch on the foam roof while I was out of town yesterday, then called me (hey, they DO have phones) and demanded payment. I told them I was on the road. Also, I haven't seen pictures of the work. For all I know they did nothing.

I got in late last night and collapsed. I was still in bed this morning when they came to my front door and began pounding. Not getting an instant response from this tired 68 year old, the guy went around to my back patio and peered into several of my bedroom windows. Who does that?! I had gotten up and was slowly getting dressed. He must have gotten an eyeful. It's a horrible feeling having your privacy violated like that. Undeterred, he started pounding on my back door.

I grabbed a mask and went outside but by that time he was gone. Then my phone rang. They were demanding payment again. I told the guy on the phone exactly what had happened and I gave him the name of my lawyer and his law firm and told him to expect a call later today.

Ever had anything like this happen to you?
What does your contract specify as far as the services that will be provided?

Never mind...sounds like you got things straight.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:51 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
It has been very difficult lately to find people to do any kind of work. Handymen seem to have vanished with COVID. Eventually a few weeks ago I found a guy via NextDoor. I tried him for a couple of different types of small projects and learned what he could and couldn't do. Showing up on time is not his strength but he did great yard work. If I need something more serious done, I check the BBB, ask on NextDoor, check the AZ ROC and read lots of reviews on the company. This has worked out pretty well. I always spend time talking with whoever I hire and do not pay in advance, or without reasonable assurance that the job has been completed satisfactorily.

I have a metal roof, but periodically it does need resealing around skylights, screws and such.

Old 12-24-2021, 05:26 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Fluffy, it sounds like you handled this very well with a good outcome.

Old 12-24-2021, 07:43 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
It has been very difficult lately to find people to do any kind of work. Handymen seem to have vanished with COVID.
Around here it was hard to find handymen even before Covid. The Phoenix metro is huge and handymen don't make money by driving hither and yon.

But yeah, you're right: NextDoor is a good source of leads for that.

It started raining last night. Seems the roof is no longer leaking. Got it fixed just in time!

Old 12-24-2021, 08:56 AM

198 posts, read 108,986 times
This doesn't add up, it's bizarre.

Peeking thru windows is not acceptable. I wouldn't like that and would ask that person directly not to do it again. Yet overall...

This is my recent experience hiring roofers:

The roofers showed up to our home just fine. A few days within the job we didn't see them. I didn't overly concern myself over it, assuming maybe they couldn't get the materials that day or maybe there was a sickness, or maybe some human error. No biggie. They never promised to be there every single day in sequence until the job is done anyhow. That's not generally how Construction works.

I planned to have them work when I was home. That's my hang up, they certainly have the ability, as professionals, to work without me being there. It's not like I hired an amateur, I hired a company. They work outside so I can be home or not. Probably easier for them if I am not home but oh well. I didn't go on a trip however one day I did go visit a Cousin since these are adults who do not need micro-managing. I DID NOT go on a trip when I owed them money. I paid them upon completion of the job as expected. Job was done right, they didn't need me to be home at all. I didn't hound for a discount trying to find flaws, which of course being humans, there will be some. This story smells of doo doo.

Last edited by BalloonLady; 12-24-2021 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-24-2021, 09:05 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonLady View Post
I DID NOT go on a trip when I owed them money.
Neither did I. I got home late at night the same day they completed the work. Coincidence. I didn't even know they were working on the house that day because I wasn't kept in the loop.

Quote:
I paid them upon completion of the job as expected. This story smells of doo doo.
Certainly something smells but I think it's your reading comprehension skills.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:12 AM

198 posts, read 108,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Neither did I. I got home late at night the same day they completed the work. Coincidence. I didn't even know they were working on the house that day because I wasn't kept in the loop.

Certainly something smells but I think it's your reading comprehension skills.
You weren't kept in the loop about what? They do not need to call before they show up and work.You hired them to work outside, why would they call you to come and do their job? And you call them, "difficult"?

You do not need a "rebate' either. You should keep your end of the deal and not harass until you get money off your bill. The owner needed to put you in your place. You shouldn't have gotten one penny back for harassing them. Don't bother justifying it, even after you got this "rebate" back for a job well done you are still here complaining about this company making a thread on City Data.

Old 12-24-2021, 09:27 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Too much drama. Bullied the roofer into a discount?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement