Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2021, 09:22 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I just refinanced with cash out to get completely out of other debt (have been quite careless). My new mortgage will be 2.99 !! and 30 years of payments.
Is this a typo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 09:25 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
"The Norm" answer, lol...

There is no right or wrong answer to a complex question. Get a Gaussian spread of answers, and you can determine a practical median. (of course, the answer would have to be analyzed using fuzzy logic, not boolean). Still doesn't "mean" anything.

The question, "Has anyone else decided that owning one's abode isn't the necessary way to go?" ...was a fair question. The real answer to this would have been 'YES'. If it were 'NO', it still wouldn't answer the question, which is where the discussion started.

We just got all the reasons for the decisions when the answer was 'NO' !

The Norm either does not exist, or nobody here knows what it is (I certainly don't :-). I am not sure that the spread would be Gaussian, but more likely to be bimodal. I was under the impression that most homeowners pay off their mortgage, and then either continue to live in their home, or downsize in retirement to something smaller that they buy with the proceeds of selling their larger home, and keep the rest of the cash for other purposes. I was also under the impression that lifelong renters tend to continue renting in retirement, and do not buy their first home (with or without mortgage) in retirement. But there are certainly all kinds of possobilities. Yes and No are equally real answers to the OP's question. Either Yes or No answers the question, but people generally tend to expand the answer beyond yes/no.

At any rate, I like to own my place, plus it is my preferred reassurance against hyperinflation. If I needed to borrow something against my home, I'd get a HELOC sooner than a mortgage.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-27-2021 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-27-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Why does it have to be the tenant that did something "bad"? Maybe the landlord needs money for one thing or another and wants to take advantage of a hot real estate market with big profits?

Again, if the landlord needs money or wants to take advantage of real estate market, the owner generally gives a notice longer in advance (the hot market does not cool off in one month). A 30 day notice to vacate is generally given as the beginning of eviction for lease violation, but it seems from the other post that this 84 year old lady was a month-to-month tenant at will, without a lease. It is possible that, in such a case, tenancy can only be terminated with a 30 day notice from either landlord or tenant (ie, an earlier notice may not be legally applicable, I don't know).

Old 12-27-2021, 09:39 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
In most states if there is no lease the state implies one …and it may not be what you want

Old 12-27-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
There is the old saying, "there's his story, her story, and the truth."

The woman's resolution was to move into an independent living facility in another state to be with her sister. She says the home was sold to an investor, but there was no real estate sign, no realtor tour, nothing.

As I said above, it sounds as though she was a month-to-month tenant at will, without a lease, and maybe in such a situation the only possibility of terminating tenancy was a 30 day notice. Maybe she previously discussed with the landlord her intention to move to the facility, and the landlord had still kept that property only because he/she had a long-term tenant, but had decided a while ago to sell it if she moved out. Maybe then the landlord got a good offer, and acted on it - moving out & sale of property usually cannot be perfectly coordinated to happen in the same minute.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:45 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Is this a typo?
Sounds about right for what rates are now.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:51 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Again, if the landlord needs money or wants to take advantage of real estate market, the owner generally gives a notice longer in advance (the hot market does not cool off in one month). A 30 day notice to vacate is generally given as the beginning of eviction for lease violation, but it seems from the other post that this 84 year old lady was a month-to-month tenant at will, without a lease. It is possible that, in such a case, tenancy can only be terminated with a 30 day notice from either landlord or tenant (ie, an earlier notice may not be legally applicable, I don't know).
hey maybe her family wanted her to move to an assisted facility and this was the only way to get her out - work with the landlord and not tell her why?

Old 12-27-2021, 09:57 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sounds about right for what rates are now.
Sorry. I misread. I thought her new mortgage payment is only $2.99/ mo.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:04 AM

30,524 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
hey maybe her family wanted her to move to an assisted facility and this was the only way to get her out - work with the landlord and not tell her why?

yup.
that's a real possibility. Us oldsters don't like change.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:06 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Is this a typo?
No, it's accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement