Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 09:59 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times

Advertisements

We have smart phones, smart TVs, etc. The most recent tech purchase for me (Christmas present) was the Quest 2 VR (Virtual Reality) headset. I am using it for the fitness app, Supernatural, and the meditation apps. Some of the games are fun, and some are just a mystery to me. I had a Samsung smart watch, but I've had 2 and they both died after a year. DH's newest purchase was a set of Ryobi 18v battery powered tools. He got a new buffer and hedge trimmer to go with the set for Christmas. We have multiple Alexa type devices and smart plugs so we can turn lights on and off with our voice, a nest thermostat, and security cams that we can check on our phones or tablets whenever we want. DH also loves his code reader device that he plugs into our car, and it will send a diagnosis to his cell phone app to tell what is going on in the car mechanically or with the electronics. Last summer we bought 2 new e-bikes. They're great!

The funniest tech thing we got recently was a motion-detector operated LED light that lights up the bowl of the toilet when you enter the bathroom. It's great in the middle of the night, but kind of funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 10:08 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Oh... I just realized the latest thing I got, yesterday in fact, is this really big toaster-oven (air fryer, rotisserie, broiler, etc...).

I got it because there is a problem with (minor) gas leaks in the bulding, we had no heat or hot water for several days, thank goodness that's over. But cooking gas is a much more arduous process that they expect to be down for months until the local utility inspects & replaces lines to all the apartments, a slow process before covid now apparently glacial, a cafe down the street has been shuttered for 6 months waiting a gas inspection/approval.

Normally I wouldn't get a big appliance in my small galley kitchen but for this stoveless situation. I checked out a bunch, narrowed down the field & then I noticed that one of the finalists had a rotisserie function... Sold! I waited until the morning after Christmas and got it reduced by $30.

Today I will give it a maiden cook with something called a schwarma chicken roast that I found at TJ's yesterday & serve with ww pita & salad for dinner... hopefully. It also has wifi so I theoretically could control the cooking functions & get alerts on my phone when done, etc... I guess. Plus an archive of recipes that I can also add my own to, but this wasn't important to me, the rotisserie was. But the integrated wifi with an appliance is certainly becoming a trend.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
We appreciate our Firestick which accesses almost any movie made for free (or you can pay for some new ones), once we got the hang of navigating with it. You can even speak into it, lol. That's pretty hi-tech for us. Also have the Roku. Sometimes Netflix is just not enough (no TV).

About the same time, we replaced our old Bose radio/CD player with a small new blue-tooth version which plays Accu-Radio, which creates playlists from one's favorites. Pretty cool.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:48 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,371 times
As a white elephant Christmas gift, I received a bladeless neck cooler. That should come in handy on those five-degree winter days.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:44 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,851 times
With 5G a requirement very soon, it's going to be a new iphone. I'm not really happy at being forced to buy a $1,000 or more new phone since my 6s+ still works just fine. I've babied that phone for years now in a protective case. I despise transferring computer data.
I had one of the Breville smart coffee makers, not that great, just wait until it needs a software update while you're anxiously awaiting a cup of coffee. Modern technology isn't really all that great all the time. Who can work on their own car anymore? I rest my case.

Old 12-29-2021, 02:31 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Does the length of chainsaw correlates to power required? I've been thinking about getting a battery powered chainsaw but I wanted a 16"
Here you go

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCCS67...s%2C228&sr=8-4

I bought a battery-powered Dewalt 20V, 12 in chainsaw last year to supplement our 20 in Stihl gas-powered chainsaw. We have been using the lightweight, easy-to-use Dewalt more often than the Stihl saw. My husband often uses the Dewalt to trim branches while standing on a ladder. He would never want to do this with the heavy 20" gas-powered saw.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCCS62...-garden&sr=1-3

I found this statement from an Amazon reviewer of this 20V saw:

"I changed the bar and chain to a 16” , the saw has enough power to run the larger bar"

If you make more frequent 16" cut, you may be better off buying the more expensive 60V, 16in model.

Old 12-29-2021, 03:34 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Here you go

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCCS67...s%2C228&sr=8-4

I bought a battery-powered Dewalt 20V, 12 in chainsaw last year to supplement our 20 in Stihl gas-powered chainsaw. We have been using the lightweight, easy-to-use Dewalt more often than the Stihl saw. My husband often uses the Dewalt to trim branches while standing on a ladder. He would never want to do this with the heavy 20" gas-powered saw.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCCS62...-garden&sr=1-3

I found this statement from an Amazon reviewer of this 20V saw:

"I changed the bar and chain to a 16” , the saw has enough power to run the larger bar"

If you make more frequent 16" cut, you may be better off buying the more expensive 60V, 16in model.
Thanks. I suspect 12 inch is more than adequate on my backyard tree branches but the 16" just looks "right"

Dewalt is a good brand. I see many Contractors use Dewalt but I already have Makita tools, batteries and charger so I will get the Makita version.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:50 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I have an Android smartphone.

A few months ago I got a Gen-3 Thermal-Imaging riflescope for my .50 cal rifle. I had a difficult time shopping for the riflescope.

All the stores are pushing their Gen-4s. But the Gen-4s have way too much CGI. It is amazing what the computers can do with these images, but there is a time when enough is enough, and one more step is passed the point of usefulness. this is what has happened in the world of Thermal-Imaging.

Imagine a coyote is standing in the woods looking at my pigs. he is behind a tree, his head is poking out on the left side of the tree and his rear end is sticking out on the right side of the tree. Gen-4 CGI software will fill-in his body. So the image presented to the shooter shows a coyote standing there, with no indication that there is a tree in the way. If you shoot at this image you will hit the tree. [thank god for .50 cal so in most cases the bullet will go through the tree and still hit the coyote].

I want a riflescope that shows me what is out there, without filling in any imaginary extras. If a coyote is standing behind a tree, I need to see what I can actually shoot at.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A few months ago I got a Gen-3 Thermal-Imaging riflescope for my .50 cal rifle. I had a difficult time shopping for the riflescope.

I want a riflescope that shows me what is out there, without filling in any imaginary extras. If a coyote is standing behind a tree, I need to see what I can actually shoot at.
good idea, it might be something other than a tree between you and the coyote.

Maybe there is a laser guided method that would go around the obstacle (in case it is livestock or a person), or you don't want to blast a hole in the tree (Maple tap leak).

Old 12-29-2021, 05:03 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
VR headset, app controlled outlets... a new xbox, current phones, souse vide wand, air fryer, electric pressure cooker.

None of it is really a new invention though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement