Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 08:54 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I haven’t run it. I have 5 gallons of ethanol-free gas and 3 quarts of motor oil for it but I left it sealed in the big clear plastic bag it shipped with and it’s sitting in the garage. I decided not to do the 5 hour break-in/oil change. My plan is to run it for 5 hours next summer before hurricane season with Dino oil, drain the fuel, put full synthetic in it, and fog the cylinder. I’d rather not mess with it in the winter unless I lose power. I’m putting blind faith in Honda quality control. It was tested at the factory and mothballed.

Your generator (the EU3000iS, I assume) is top-rated and considered the quietest on the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 09:06 AM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
I shop online and have for years. Nothing really changed with the pandemic. I still grocery shop in person, 98% of the time.

Most recent online purchases:

- cat litter
- cat food
- powdered dry milk
- case of facial tissues
- ibuprofen

Super exciting and scintillating stuff, I know!

Old 01-10-2022, 09:18 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Oh Amazon, how I miss thee! Actually, I'm probably saving scads of money not having it.

Still, sometimes people living here returning from the U.S. will mule down small items.

My two for this year was my yearly beach wall calendar and a small electric water pump that effortlessly gives you water from a 5-gallon bottle (that is how we buy drinking water). What a brilliant invention; only $12 and rechargable, barely the size of a water glass. No more hefting and turning over those heavy bottles!

Last year was a new Kindle for DH and vitamins from our trusted source, via Amazon. So grateful to get books via Kindle/Amazon.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:23 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
I started buying online extensively in the mid-90s because I could get extra points through my airline affiliated credit card using their portal, that paid for numerous "free" trips to Asia/Europe or I would buy a really cheap ticket on sale & bump up to Business Class with points.

Once "Googling" became a verb I found that Amazon pretty consistently had lower prices & offered free delivery if a member & after years of resistance I joined & have hardly set foot in a store other than a grocery or hardware for the last 20 years.

The last item delivered was a big toaster-oven/air fryer with a rotisserie function, the gas went out in my building & they say it may be months before all the utility inspections turn it on again. The day after Christmas it was reduced by $30 & I jumped.

The last item I ordered was 2 days ago - a box of K95 masks directly from 3M, things like that at Amazon could be counterfeit & this is about sickness, not cooking chickens.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:33 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I just got a two-ounce bottle of heliotrope oil.

In the summer I like to keep a plant or two outside my kitchen door so that the southern summer breezes waft the scent into the house.

With cabin fever season coming on I though a touch of summer might be a good thing to have around.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:59 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I started buying online extensively in the mid-90s because I could get extra points through my airline affiliated credit card using their portal, that paid for numerous "free" trips to Asia/Europe or I would buy a really cheap ticket on sale & bump up to Business Class with points.

Once "Googling" became a verb I found that Amazon pretty consistently had lower prices & offered free delivery if a member & after years of resistance I joined & have hardly set foot in a store other than a grocery or hardware for the last 20 years.

The last item delivered was a big toaster-oven/air fryer with a rotisserie function, the gas went out in my building & they say it may be months before all the utility inspections turn it on again. The day after Christmas it was reduced by $30 & I jumped.

The last item I ordered was 2 days ago - a box of K95 masks directly from 3M, things like that at Amazon could be counterfeit & this is about sickness, not cooking chickens.
Which one did you get? Do you like it? Does it seem solid and have accurate temps and timers? I'm looking for one now.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:09 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
You name it, I’ve purchased it. We moved into our new house a few weeks ago and we waited to upgraded, purchase new and/or shop for house stuff. To wit:

Invisible dog fence
Wireless printer
TV & tv mount
Double oven
Cooktop
W&D pedestals
Security system
Walnut cutting board
Driveway alarm
Fire extinguishers
Bedroom set
Mattress set
Recliner

We’re almost through our purchase list so it’ll slow down a bit. There’s talk of a small workshop and a barbecue pavilion so it won’t stop until mid-summer.

If you’d like to see a photo of our living room view, go here. It’s been a bit tough building through Covid, supply chain issues, etc, but it’s been worth it.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:12 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,232 times
Most of the stuff I buy is online. Last order was for our pets (cat & dog food, cat litter, guinea pig hay).

Old 01-10-2022, 10:17 AM

119 posts, read 85,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
You name it, I’ve purchased it. We moved into our new house a few weeks ago and we waited to upgraded, purchase new and/or shop for house stuff. To wit:

Invisible dog fence
Wireless printer
TV & tv mount
Double oven
Cooktop
W&D pedestals
Security system
Walnut cutting board
Driveway alarm
Fire extinguishers
Bedroom set
Mattress set
Recliner

We’re almost through our purchase list so it’ll slow down a bit. There’s talk of a small workshop and a barbecue pavilion so it won’t stop until mid-summer.

If you’d like to see a photo of our living room view, go here. It’s been a bit tough building through Covid, supply chain issues, etc, but it’s been worth it.
Thanks for the view from the LR! I'm so glad you're finally in - that porch is lovely!

Old 01-10-2022, 10:35 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not to hijack the thread but pretty much every time I ordered a case or two of canned cat food on Amazon, the cans were dented and it often had a few exploded cans. I’d call Amazon and they would ship more cans that also got there dented. I got a bunch of free cat food picking out the cans with an intact seal but it was a PITA. Chewy puts a cardboard top on the case of cat food and pads out the box really well with large bubble wrap packing material. The box is sized so the cans can’t move around and dent compared to the huge Amazon box where the case bounces around inside the box. I haven’t had any dented cans at all.

You’d think Bezos would have enough added costs from all the re-shipped items to fix the problem.
Those cardboard shells do a great job of preventing dents but the last shipment I received didn't have them, but I wish they did. They make great organizers for my pantry. Luckily, the cans arrived undented.

I prefer purchasing anything I need online. I was never a person who viewed shopping as an outing; it was always a pain that I wanted to get through as quickly as possible. My latest purchases over the past month were:

Set of thumb drives - amazon
Cardamom tea bags - amazon
The Power of the Dog (book) - amazon
Phone cover - amazon
Computer mouse - amazon
Cat food - chewy
Cat toys - chewy
Cat scratching post- chewy
Moisturizer - Elizabeth Arden
Shampoo/conditioner - Kerastase
All 2021 Xmas presents - Amazon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement