Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 02:58 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times

Advertisements

Living where I do online shopping is a routine necessity, not mere convenience. Don't even pay much attention to what the items are except to say they are things I'd need to drive 200 miles to find in any brick and mortar store. Getting on a plane for a larger than normal shopping trip is a thing here. AK has always been at the extreme end of multiple supply chains. As for what it was like before the web existed...you folks in the south 48 have no idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 03:39 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not to hijack the thread but pretty much every time I ordered a case or two of canned cat food on Amazon, the cans were dented and it often had a few exploded cans. I’d call Amazon and they would ship more cans that also got there dented. I got a bunch of free cat food picking out the cans with an intact seal but it was a PITA. Chewy puts a cardboard top on the case of cat food and pads out the box really well with large bubble wrap packing material. The box is sized so the cans can’t move around and dent compared to the huge Amazon box where the case bounces around inside the box. I haven’t had any dented cans at all.

You’d think Bezos would have enough added costs from all the re-shipped items to fix the problem.
I've ordered canned dog food via amazon for quite some time. just in the past two months I've been running into the same problem with dented cans. Think I'll check out chewy, thanks.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:50 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Today I received a bundle of cotton socks. None of the stores have cotton socks, all they have is polyester which I dislike.
They took a couple of weeks to get here.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:03 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,314,638 times
I looked at my credit card charges. The last thing I bought online was an ignition coil and spark plug wires for my wife's Toyota Camry. I couldn't think of anything else to get her for Christmas that she didn't already have.

I'm joking about that. Her car was undrivable and had to be fixed. It was just a coincidence it happened right before Christmas.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:52 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times
The last thing I purchased was Rebuild Services for the old carburetor on my vintage Formula Car.

Old 01-10-2022, 05:17 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,035,841 times
For Christmas I bought a cloth baby doll from Etsy seller for a great-niece because the seller makes them in different hair colors, skin colors and I could choose from dozens of colors/patterns for her dress. It looked like my niece and she loved it (she is not talking yet but actions showed it lol).

I like to buy from small businesses but hate shopping in person. Etsy lets me set different criteria. Sometimes I shop in my city or state, sometimes make other settings.

Of course Amazon shopping is every week. Best thing purchased lately was a safety device for carbon monoxide and natural gas detection. We have gas hot water and 2 years ago a local couple had their home explode due to a gas leak. Couple years ago a woman down the street died of CO in her sleep. Never heard exact reasons but assume she left her car running by accident in the garage. I've never left the car on but it is very quiet running, just feel better about a safety alert. It will be hard-wired in the garage.

Old 01-10-2022, 05:27 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,833 times
I buy a good deal from Amazon and other online vendors as I do not enjoy shopping in stores other than the grocery store. My recent purchases from Amazon have been:

Round area rug for my foyer
Two rugs to go in front of my front and side doors
Stainless steel bread box
Stainless steel sink caddy for detergent, sponges, etc.
Kitty litter and dry and wet cat food
Shampoo and conditioner
Lighted makeup mirror to replace my old one that recently died
Address labels

Old 01-10-2022, 06:23 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
I just got a pair of boots through Amazon and ordered a sterling silver & gold bracelet for my wife's birthday.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:43 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Ralph Lauren sweater nwt
Day of the Dead paper mache sculpture
Tods loafers
All American pressure canner
two native american sculptures
Mullen native american huge framed print
^from shopgoodwill

Chico's tunic
Delta 8 CBD
Call Rip (yellowstone show) car sticker

Old 01-10-2022, 06:47 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Yesterday i ordered:

KN-95 masks
throw pillow covers
Scotch-Brite large lint roller refills....I use that roller on the bed and couch for dog hair
a book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement