Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 06:55 PM

22 posts, read 6,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
As opposed to taking and keeping taxpayer monies. Some of us would just like to be paid back.
Paid back for what? Are you afraid there won't be a piece of the pie left for you? Because clearly nothing else makes sense.

My suggestion is you get a job

Last edited by BalloonLady.; 02-02-2022 at 07:17 PM..

Old 02-02-2022, 07:14 PM

100 posts, read 29,136 times
This is amazing! some people find amusement in others misfortune .....sad

Old 02-03-2022, 03:40 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
As opposed to taking and keeping taxpayer monies. Some of us would just like to be paid back.
Do you seriously think seniors that were put on medicaid (not their choice) didn't also work and pay taxes all of their lives? They're not 30 year olds living off of welfare. They are taking and keeping taxpayer monies that they spent 40 years contributing to. So by your own bourgeoisie take on this, you neglect to think about they were also taxpayers for many years the same as you were. Many never took a dime of government help before this. You actually sound envious because they are to some extent getting paid back and you aren't.

Last edited by marino760; 02-03-2022 at 04:10 AM..

Old 02-03-2022, 06:51 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonLady. View Post
This is totally 100% untrue. Hardly anyone is approved for disability on the first try. They routinely deny you. What are you thinking?

He is not lucky. He is broke at death and his heirs pay for this deception while other heirs, utilizing the same Medicaid, will not. Period.

He was deceived. You seem hell bent on twisting what he wrote. This is a LOAN, it never was health insurance. It is health insurance FOR ME if I sign up, it was not for HIM. I am younger so am not signing up for a loan. Average people would not question anything about going onto any health insurance plan as it NOT being what it is and always has been, health insurance. Please stop this blaming. Ever since the ACA was implemented, many people are on medicaid. Our state there is no resource limit, only an income limit. Low paying jobs may mean being on Medicaid, including my former company.

Eventually we had excellent benefits for my entire family and perks. Ask age 65, we'll have health benefits for $10 a month. Dental included. This made up for the lack of hourly pay I would've otherwise needed to cover Part B+ a Supplement+ Dental Insurance.

You are way off base, uneducated, and posting things which are untrue to hyjack this thread. Please let the op continue, unmolested by your untruths which expect clarification, no just stop posting them. Your hella long posts based on untruths are not necessary. Oh my, you are so enmeshed with these long posts it's unhealthy. Showing no shame for all your untruths. I wish you could be blocked somehow. I don't know what you have against the OP but please stop. Don't bother saying nothing, just stop.

Makes perfect sense. Why is it offensive to you, why do YOU question it? Don't answer. Not sure why you are hell bent on trying to make this OP look bad. Please stop. he has health issues big time and is now in the poor house over it. Not because he agreed or had the right to pay the bill back, but because he was deceived. When people are ILL, it is no time to be reading legalize.

No sir, you make no sense.

Your greenie welcome to the board to me was odd, I've been here since 2021 and we've corresponded more than a few times now. My computer graphics card was going out so on my former account I mentioned it. My computer remembers my password logging in, I do not. So once it goes out, so does the password.

Since when? Since it's inception. It's called a medicaid share of cost. Other States may call it something different but essentially Medicaid is a Federal Program so States overall, pretty much, follow that lead and those laws. Some States have generously put in their own funds to make it more favorable but overall, no.

I used to be a County Worker back in the day. Decades and Decades ago before it got so complex. Most people in California don't to have a share of cost because it's so expensive to live here. Our State enacted a law to do away with it. I am not educated upon NJ

This is not your business. But clearly, with his health issues, it seems obvious

It would take too long to explain this to you, how medicaid and medicare work together. Medicaid has MANY programs, depending upon your age and SITUATION. They are very difficult to learn for even the County employees. You will further hyjack this with any attempt to educate you anyhow so please bow out and let the thread proceed.
OP I apologize for all of this nonsense. You are correct, many people are on medicaid. I had co-workers on it, they were forced to have it not even allowed to buy private coverage until they qualified with our company. The did not have Medicaid prior but was forced on it if they wanted health insurance.

Medicaid is no longer just for the poor since it is based solely on monthly income.

I earned low wage, hence my SS will be low. However that doesn't mean my employer didn't match 10% of my 401k, provide a HSA with a small Match, provide excellent health insurance for just $10 a month per family member while other companies were not even covering family members. My best friend is an Elementary School Teacher, she pays almost $200 a month for her husband. We loved our catered lunches, $1000 gift cards at Xmas, 100k life insurance at no cost, great disability policies, etc. Ubered to work now if needed. All the things my salary would've OTHERWISE covered, this was covered by my employer. I don't find this un-common in California, especially from the Tech Boom decades back. NO health costs whatsoever except $10 a month at age 65. We spent very little on food since I brought much of the food home from work.

Our employees are on Medicaid if they haven't worked for the company for a decade. This is their ONLY choice. Some are within the age this is just a loan. Some within a certain age range of 55-64, pay money out for not having health insurance each month deciding if they become ill, to just make monthly payments to the hospital and doctors. It's a real issue that yes, EVERYONE's on Medicaid now. Since the ACA, it's how it is.

I'm not wrong, you read my reply wrong. I said that if he was that bad after his heart attack, he would have gotten approved for disability after his first appeal. Let me explain it so you can understand. He applied and got denied, he gets an attorney who does not charge unless they're successful at getting you disability, the attorney files an appeal, if his heart is so bad he can't work, the judge would have approved it.

There are certain illnesses that get approved on the first application, having a bad kidney will get it, so will a stroke knocking you down. I know nothing about heart attacks.

Yes he is lucky. My poor husband goes without health insurance.

The OP who appears to be your father needs to pay for his medical care like my husband and I have been doing.

That house you or his daughter want to inherit will need to be used to pay his medical care if he gets admitted to a nursing home while on medicaid. It is not only for that age, it is until he dies that they can take his house to pay for his medical bills. If he does not like it, he can go back to his home country for their medical care.

You are the one reading my replies so that is on you with whatever tone is in your head, you can not hear me speak. I'm not posting with a mean bone in my body, I've been here since 2007, my history speaks louder than your few posts here defending the OP, that appears to be your father. If this really is your 2nd account, he is not your father, why are you defending him so much and how do you even know his medical history? If you really have been here posting longer than a few weeks, you should know me by now and know I don't ever have a mean bone in my body. You're reading with your own mood in your head.

I guess you missed where my hub and I's retirement money has been wiped out twice due to medical? Bankruptcy? Why did we have to wipe our life out but your father can let you inherit his house? What is fair about that?

If you are the balloon lady I've been repping that's been a member here, you know I'm not a poster who is nasty. You're reading it like that because he appears to be your father

Quote:
Originally Posted by McToons View Post
I did NOT originally apply for Medicaid, I was automatically switched. I had to re-apply each year after. I was put back on Medicaid on the end of May the first year of Covid The state sent me a letter stating it was due to Covid. That month I turned 65 & already had a plan. I cancelled the plan because if you have Medicaid after 65 It was cheaper than my Aetna plan. That is what the director of The program told me. Recently I was told that I must still pay the full premium ( out of 10 things I have been totals by DMAHS have been wrong ( As well as the pile of incorrect thick large envelopes of my yearly totals. I have been trying along with other to get a correct statement of my totals to no avail. We just recently were given this information, however it will be 2 years of begging to try to get one, I have received 2 very incorrect ones.

I don't understand how you were switched when my husband was not. It makes no sense to me.

If you have medicare questions, go to the health insurance section. This thread should have gone there or the NJ section because age 55 to 65 with your topic doesn't fit in retirement.

I'm no medicare expert but when you turn 65 you have a certain amount of time to sign up on their site, then yes, you're charged a medicare premium that everyone has to pay.

Also, you only have so much time to pick a medigap plan when you first sign up at age 65. If you do not pick a medigap, and want one later, you have to go to underwriting where they may make you get a physical, then you may be denied for it.

There are plans that go with with your age, there are plans that only go up with inflation. The UH/AARP plan G that I posted about does not go up with age, it only goes up with inflation.

Now you have to decide if you're still wanting a medigap until you die or whatever you can get with regular medicare or an advantage plan which you're probably on.

With heart issues, my advice is you apply for that AARP/UH medigap G plan, either the straight G or the high deductible because an advantage plan is going to decide where you can be seen, what tests you can do and whether you can have surgery if you need it. The AARP/UH plan doesn't work like that. If it's a covered medicare expense, they pay it. No hoops to jump through, no referrals to get either.

Quote:
I was not fortunate enough to get charity care

It makes no sense that you would qualify as poor to have medicaid but not poor to get charity care.

Quote:
What I do not understand is the Venom towards me. My daughter was not born with a silver spoon in her mouth. I had to work 12 hour days just to buy my modest 2 bedroom condo, I guess I never had the income you folks enjoy. That's OK, I worked very hard, went to church on Sunday, kept my nose clean & raised my daughter right. I need that money for my retirement as I never made a whole lot of money. There may not be any left over for my daughter. That's life! I do not complain about that. But really shouldn't you be angry at all the people who get all this free without working or contributing to society. Most states see this law as age discrimination as it clearly is.

No one is posting venom. You are reading with a tone sparking venom because you don't like what everyone is telling you. I'm first generation here too. My husband and I worked to the bone to provide the silver spoon for our kids that they had that they wouldn't have had in my home country.

Maybe your people didn't immigrate from poor countries like mine did? Maybe you would have had a gold spoon had you been born there? Middle class is a silver spoon.

I don't know how you can read any of what I posted as venom. I'm telling you what happened to my husband and I. How was that venom? I told you to file bankruptcy and leave your house out of it so you can get rid of that debt. I tried to offer you solutions like charity care too.

Do what we did to get rid of that debt then your daughter will inherit that house you're protecting for if and when you die.

Why do you feel you do not have to pay for your medical care during those ages when my hub and I had to pay ours when we had no insurance or medicaid to cover us like you did? That is what I'm asking you and why you have me riled up. How many times do I have to post that we paid our medical using our retirement TWICE, now my house has to be sold because he is still not on social security. Why don't you just file bankruptcy?

If you stay on medicaid, they will eventually take it anyway because now you're in the next age bracket where they do that for some things.

Quote:
As I was saying all along I was put on Medicaid without applying, I had been paying $60 to $80 a month. There was NO mention of Medicaid Recovery, by the time I found out I already owed over $34,000

Affordable Care Act of 2010. Estate recovery will be forced on millions of people who might have otherwise gone without insurance. Why? Because the plan is that millions more Americans have health insurance. That would be accomplished by expanding Medicaid and implementing premium assistance (subsidies). When a person is found to be eligible for Medicaid, they will be automatically enrolled into their state's Medicaid program. Those forced into Medicaid will, due to the federal law, also be forced into estate recovery. Their estates will be partly or fully taken over by the federal or state government when they die.

Why did you not file charity care on that $34k medical bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Agree that it is the design flaw that is the problem and agree that the OP didn't understand the gyyrations of this obtuse program. It has a disparate impact on people like the OP. I don't think posters understand that the OP did not seek medicaid and was content to remain on the marketplace program at the rate he was paying.

I had to go to the government source and it took me several readings to understand it:

Once you get a final determination that you're eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) that counts as qualifying health coverage (or "minimum essential coverage"):

You’re no longer eligible for a Marketplace plan with advance payments of the premium tax credit and savings on out-of-pocket costs
You should immediately end Marketplace coverage with premium tax credits or other cost savings for anyone in your household who is determined eligible for or already enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP that counts as qualifying health coverage
If you still want a Marketplace plan after you’re found eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, you will have to pay full price for your share of the Marketplace plan without premium tax credits or other cost savings.

In states that have expanded Medicaid coverage: You can qualify based on your income alone. If your household income is below 133% of the federal poverty level, you qualify. (Because of the way this is calculated, it turns out to be 138% of the federal poverty level. A few states use a different income limit.)

Income based -- no mention of assets or estate recovery.

https://www.healthcare.gov/medicaid-...ketplace-plan/

Thanks for your post Maddie but I understand what happened to the OP, I agree it sucks for him but how did he get switched on medicaid when my hubs job stopped, it's been almost 2 years now, he had zero income for months, he was also ACA, he did not get switched to a medicaid insurance plan like the OP said he did.

I am also in NJ too. My hub is not 65 yet.

All the OP has to do is pay his medical, file for charity care or file bankruptcy on his medical bills. He has a house to live in, they won't take it if he leaves it out. He's already on medicaid and social security. He probably has his monthly bills covered. Bankruptcy will take this debt away so he can stop worrying about the government taking the house if a lien doesn't get placed on it from the time his debt is wiped free until he dies. Do you realize he is only 65? He could live another 20 to 30 years where he may have to use that house to pay for his healthcare anyway. That is my point that the OP and balloon lady want to ignore.

Get that medical debt wiped out one of the above ways, the lien is off of the house

And you should know my post history by now that I do not post with venom. I'm speaking a normal tone when I write, explaining that I do understand he's first generation, wants to leave something for his kids to inherit. That American dream was not meant for us first generations, that was for the immigrant. Us first generation had kids that were provided for better then we ever had as the children of immigrants. My poor father who's gone 16 years on the 6th, worked himself to the bone, was killed due to AML leukemia due to chemical exposure from the chemicals we used to work with. I'm already positive for that chemical poisoning, so my day is coming. No house for my kids to inherit, needed the money to live and for medical.

Quote:
Not if your income falls below a certain amount on the exchange. I imagine you can get anything you want if you are wealthy. There was a graph set up for the alternate plan for obamacare. This was back when Senator McCain Voted not to kill off Obamacare. My premium would have been about 30K a year due to my poor health.

My hubs income turned to zero. Why wasn't he put on medicaid insurance in the ACA like you? He's been on ACA for years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They do it for spouses too but no lien, the spouse can move and then they can collect the debt from the spouses estate upon their death.

The point is health insurance shouldn't be a loan and some states have draconian rules. NJ seems really bad to me and I empathize with OP.

I actually do empathize with him too but I do not understand how it happened which I've typed out many times. I'm in the same boat but my hub had no insurance. As everyone sees, I'm in NJ

I'm sorry he has medical debt, pay it like we did, the lien is gone. Why did we have to pay and drain our accounts but he doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, if someone has low enough income to qualify for Medicaid, they wouldn't be able to afford a private plan, nor the co-pays/deductibles of a private plan.

Right, that's why my hub has done without, we had to pay our own way.

No one feels bad that my retirement i shot, I'm selling my house this month to live?

Quote:
A bill (A-1023/S-885) introduced in the state Legislature in early 2020 by Assemblywoman Joann Downey (D-Monmouth) and Sen. Joe Cryan (D-Union) would end estate recovery for non-LTSS enrollees in NJ FamilyCare, as well as shielding some types of assets from recovery for those subject to it.

If this affects anyone you know or you think this is unjust Senator Cryans phone # is 908-624-0880. Or you could contact your local legislator. Maybe we can get this law pushed forward, thank you for any help.

Why do you think city-datas retirement section is where you need to try to make this topic go viral? It won't, you're wasting your time if you're trying to do that. You didn't even post in the NJ section where you may have found some people to give better advice then mine.

I told you, speak to Bill Spadea of 101.5. He has people to help you if you don't want to get rid of the lien by one of the ways I suggested.

Quote:
Blue Cross /Blue shield, One of their better plans too $60 to $80 a month,

My hub had BCBS too but his cost way more than that. I think it was over $400 from the ACA

I'm sure you still don't see why I wonder how they switched you but not him?

Quote:
LA LA LA LA LA

You can keep posting all you want and continue to whine whine whine. It's not changing anything. You are upset that you may not be able to leave your condo to your college educated daughter because the taxpayers will be paid back for the money they fronted when you had your heart attacks.

Once again Lillie, thank you so much. That is exactly what it's all about.

Quote:
We will see, Hopefully NJ will repeal this unfair law like half the other states have.

Which is what I said in my first reply to you. A lot of things can happen in the next 20 to 30 years until you actually die!

You're getting yourself worked up over something that may not even be an issue when you die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Do you seriously think seniors that were put on medicaid (not their choice) didn't also work and pay taxes all of their lives? They're not 30 year olds living off of welfare. They are taking and keeping taxpayer monies that they spent 40 years contributing to. So by your own bourgeoisie take on this, you neglect to think about they were also taxpayers for many years the same as you were. Many never took a dime of government help before this. You actually sound envious because they are to some extent getting paid back and you aren't.

You're not seeing it how some of us are.

This is the way medicaid works these days unfortunately. They want to be paid back if you're a senior citizen who needed it for long term care. That's how the system works or with certain states, at the age 55 to 65, they want to be paid back. Had the OP paid his own insurance like we've done, or paid his medical bill with charity care or saving/retirement, he would not have medical debt he owes. Unfortunately, NJ wants it back if there is a house or estate when he dies.

I'll be shocked if my dad's estate doesn't get used up by his wife being in long term care. He tried to stop that with a trust but it won't work. None of us will get what he slaved all of his life for, with me by his side for over 20 years, sweating, greasy, stinking like gasoline and chemicals. Chances are I'm dying the same way he did, chemical caused cancer unless they find a cure in the next few years. There won't be much of an estate for my own kids thanks to medical bills and COVID.

Unfair for sure, but this is America in 2022. It's still better then my dad's home country. He would have slaved away, but never owned anything like he was able to in this country.

This is not the same America it was when he immigrated in 57. Now they recover money from families. Maybe things will eventually change?

The OP and my dad probably would have died if they weren't here because we have a great medical system in the USA. My father got 8 months from cancer treatment in the US that I doubt is available "home"

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-03-2022 at 07:16 AM..

Old 02-03-2022, 07:32 AM

Medicaid Recovery for people 55-65 is Age discrimination. It is a clear fact.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:00 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I wasn't referring to long term care in nursing homes for example where unfortunate people can linger there with Alzheimer for months and years.
I'm only referring to circumstances like the OP is in where the only option for people before they reach medicare age, is medicaid which they never asked for nor filled out any paperwork for but rather were transferred by the state from an ACA insurance to medicaid. It's my understanding that's what this thread is about.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:42 AM

Yes it is. I had 2 massive heart attacks at 56 Medicaid Recovery targets the ages between 55-65. I was transferred to medicaid at 57 & owe around 75K. I am waiting for my latest file to see what I owe, I have not received anything in well over due to Covid. The staff left behind sent me 2 incorrect printouts & simply refused to send another in that time period. Unlike traditional Medicaid doctors that accept medicaid sometimes add charges to your total & you are also charged a $10.00 fee for rides to the doctor (which I have never used)

Old 02-03-2022, 08:52 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
27 pages is enough. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.