Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2022, 07:53 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McToons View Post
Yes , They collect their money after I pass away
So, there is no age discrimination: The State doesn't collect from the 55-65 age cohort. The State collects only from the estates of people who are dead. When they are dead, they are no longer people, and thus discrimination doesn't apply.

Last edited by moguldreamer; 02-02-2022 at 08:09 AM..

Old 02-02-2022, 07:57 AM

22 posts, read 6,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
He seems to like to whine but not answer questions.

Finally he says he applied for disability but didn't get it. He should have gotten an attorney who appeals. It's a game they play. If he was as sick as he said he was where he wasn't allowed to work for a whole year, he would have gotten disability after his first appeal with an attorney.
This is totally 100% untrue. Hardly anyone is approved for disability on the first try. They routinely deny you. What are you thinking?

Quote:
He doesn't understand how lucky he was to even have health insurance.
He is not lucky. He is broke at death and his heirs pay for this deception while other heirs, utilizing the same Medicaid, will not. Period.

He was deceived. You seem hell bent on twisting what he wrote. This is a LOAN, it never was health insurance. It is health insurance FOR ME if I sign up, it was not for HIM. I am younger so am not signing up for a loan. Average people would not question anything about going onto any health insurance plan as it NOT being what it is and always has been, health insurance. Please stop this blaming. Ever since the ACA was implemented, many people are on medicaid. Our state there is no resource limit, only an income limit. Low paying jobs may mean being on Medicaid, including my former company.

Eventually we had excellent benefits for my entire family and perks. Ask age 65, we'll have health benefits for $10 a month. Dental included. This made up for the lack of hourly pay I would've otherwise needed to cover Part B+ a Supplement+ Dental Insurance.

You are way off base, uneducated, and posting things which are untrue to hyjack this thread. Please let the op continue, unmolested by your untruths which expect clarification, no just stop posting them. Your hella long posts based on untruths are not necessary. Oh my, you are so enmeshed with these long posts it's unhealthy. Showing no shame for all your untruths. I wish you could be blocked somehow. I don't know what you have against the OP but please stop. Don't bother saying nothing, just stop.

Quote:
Why did you have "a good friend call" to see what you owe? That doesn't make sense.
Makes perfect sense. Why is it offensive to you, why do YOU question it? Don't answer. Not sure why you are hell bent on trying to make this OP look bad. Please stop. he has health issues big time and is now in the poor house over it. Not because he agreed or had the right to pay the bill back, but because he was deceived. When people are ILL, it is no time to be reading legalize.

Quote:
You make no sense.
No sir, you make no sense.

Your greenie welcome to the board to me was odd, I've been here since 2021 and we've corresponded more than a few times now. My computer graphics card was going out so on my former account I mentioned it. My computer remembers my password logging in, I do not. So once it goes out, so does the password.

Quote:
You make it sound like your medicaid is $124 a month. You figure? Since when do they charge for medicaid insurance?
Since when? Since it's inception. It's called a medicaid share of cost. Other States may call it something different but essentially Medicaid is a Federal Program so States overall, pretty much, follow that lead and those laws. Some States have generously put in their own funds to make it more favorable but overall, no.

I used to be a County Worker back in the day. Decades and Decades ago before it got so complex. Most people in California don't to have a share of cost because it's so expensive to live here. Our State enacted a law to do away with it. I am not educated upon NJ

Quote:
Why do you continue to take medicaid?
This is not your business. But clearly, with his health issues, it seems obvious

Quote:
Why would you not pay your medigap to get off of medicaid?
It would take too long to explain this to you, how medicaid and medicare work together. Medicaid has MANY programs, depending upon your age and SITUATION. They are very difficult to learn for even the County employees. You will further hyjack this with any attempt to educate you anyhow so please bow out and let the thread proceed.
OP I apologize for all of this nonsense. You are correct, many people are on medicaid. I had co-workers on it, they were forced to have it not even allowed to buy private coverage until they qualified with our company. The did not have Medicaid prior but was forced on it if they wanted health insurance.

Medicaid is no longer just for the poor since it is based solely on monthly income.

I earned low wage, hence my SS will be low. However that doesn't mean my employer didn't match 10% of my 401k, provide a HSA with a small Match, provide excellent health insurance for just $10 a month per family member while other companies were not even covering family members. My best friend is an Elementary School Teacher, she pays almost $200 a month for her husband. We loved our catered lunches, $1000 gift cards at Xmas, 100k life insurance at no cost, great disability policies, etc. Ubered to work now if needed. All the things my salary would've OTHERWISE covered, this was covered by my employer. I don't find this un-common in California, especially from the Tech Boom decades back. NO health costs whatsoever except $10 a month at age 65. We spent very little on food since I brought much of the food home from work.

Our employees are on Medicaid if they haven't worked for the company for a decade. This is their ONLY choice. Some are within the age this is just a loan. Some within a certain age range of 55-64, pay money out for not having health insurance each month deciding if they become ill, to just make monthly payments to the hospital and doctors. It's a real issue that yes, EVERYONE's on Medicaid now. Since the ACA, it's how it is.

Last edited by BalloonLady.; 02-02-2022 at 08:31 AM..

Old 02-02-2022, 08:01 AM

22 posts, read 6,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
So, there is no age discrimination: The State doesn't collect from the age 55-65 cohort. The State collects only from the estates of people who are dead. When they are dead, they are no longer people, and thus discrimination doesn't apply.
You can dance around it all you want. People in our state DID NOT KNOW they owed all of this money, that it was just a loan. This is why our Governor passed a few laws recently regarding the Medicaid Estate Recovery Act. This is a reason why many other states did so prior.

We all know health insurance is not a LOAN. After you pay some money upfront, usually but not always, we all know that overall the bill is covered. There is no way anyone could possibly predict this would be a loan and not health insurance.

Hospitals take payments. He had the right to go that route. One of the great things about it is when you pay cash, your bill is LOWERED at least 50%, often as much as 75%. This is a loan he could've kept paying on while able to keep his house in the family. Charity Care may have kicked in.

Our hospital educates people on this legalize. They try knowing this is the worst opportune time to do it. Suggest the less painful route to go. I help with the hospitals main annual fundraiser which raises 75% of the money which goes to the charity care.

Last edited by BalloonLady.; 02-02-2022 at 08:24 AM..

Old 02-02-2022, 08:11 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalloonLady. View Post
This is totally 100% untrue. Hardly anyone, gets disability on the first try. They routinely deny you. What are you thinking?

He is not lucky. He is broke. He was deceived. You seem hell bent on twisting what he wrote. This is a LOAN, it never was health insurance. It is health insurance FOR ME if I sign up, it was not for HIM. Average people would not question anything about going onto any health insurance plan as it NOT being what it is and always has been, health insurance. Please stop this blaming.

You are way off base, uneducated, and posting things which are untrue. I don't know what you have against the OP but please stop.

Makes perfect sense. Not sure why you are hell bent on trying to make this OP look bad. Please stop. he has health issues big time and is now in the poor house over it. Not because he agreed or had the right to pay the bill back, but because he was deceived. When people are ILL, it is no time to be reading legalize.

No sir, you make no sense. Also your welcome to the board to me was odd, I've been here and we've corresponded a few times now. My computer graphics card was going out so on my account I mentioned I'd be opening a new account. My computer remembers my password logging in, I do not.

Since when? Since it's inception. It's called a medicaid share of cost. Other States may call it something different but essentially Medicaid is a Federal Program so States overall, pretty much, follow that lead and those laws. Some States have generously put in their own funds to make it more favorable but overall, no.

I used to be a County Worker back in the day. Overall, laws in our state have not changed. Most people in California don to have a share of cost because it's so expensive to live here. I am not educated upon NJ

This is not your business. But clearly, with his health issues, it seems obvious

It would take too long to explain this to you, how medicaid and medicare work together.

You are posting untruths and are wholly uneducated. You are being cruel and need to stop this. You are way too enmeshed in posting untruths to make the OP look bad. Again, please stop. I will not be correcting any of your correspondence to the OP any further

You have too many inaccuracies to even begin to deal with. The OP is not paying back anything. His ESTATE will be on the hook for it. That’s it.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:11 AM

100 posts, read 29,136 times
What I do not understand is the Venom towards me. My daughter was not born with a silver spoon in her mouth. I had to work 12 hour days just to buy my modest 2 bedroom condo, I guess I never had the income you folks enjoy. That's OK, I worked very hard, went to church on Sunday, kept my nose clean & raised my daughter right. I need that money for my retirement as I never made a whole lot of money. There may not be any left over for my daughter. That's life! I do not complain about that. But really shouldn't you be angry at all the people who get all this free without working or contributing to society. Most states see this law as age discrimination as it clearly is.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:16 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times
Quote:
You can dance around it all you want. People in our state DID NOT KNOW they owed all of this, they were deceived, given Medicaid information while on pain meds, having no choice.
You forgot to say they threatened them with red-hot pokers, held their children hostage suspended over boiling oil, and held .44 magnums to their heads.

Quote:
Of course it is discrimination EVEN IF it doesn't fall under the legal definition.
Incorrect. But thanks for playing.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:41 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,221,686 times
@McToons - I have definitely not directed any venom (your term) towards you. However, please do appreciate a few of things:

- You lose all of my sympathy by trying to talk pejoratively about other groups (Welfare,immigrants,illegals who have pay nothing - your words). Here you are hyperventilating about of the potential public assistance recovery from your estate and you need to add completely irrelevant references to others who might or might not be needing the assistance. So, you come across as a kiss up and kick down person.

- I appreciate that your age group might have drawn a short straw but shouting AGE DISCRIMINATION is capitals isn’t cutting it. It is the law in the state that applied to your age group, and just because you did not understand it doesn’t make it anyone else’s fault.

- When you write on an Internet forum, you will get information and opinions that do not match yours. You also get some useful information. So, you signed up for this when you posted.

- As for the recovery of public assistance from anyone’s estate , I personally do not think of that as a tragedy. I wish it were applied across the board and stringently to discourage / stop cheating. That might come across as a right-wing argument and I am definitely not that. I’d personally prefer to see the recovery funds being aggressively pursued and made available (recirculated) as public assistance to the future needy - expanding and sustaining that pool in the future. So, at least conceptually, I am for the concept of recovery - much broader than simply your case.

- Finally, your posts are confusing and throw kitchen sink full of irrelevant and contradictory information at the reader. That hardly helps your cause.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:48 AM

100 posts, read 29,136 times
Thank you Balloon Lady. You are clearly well versed in the subject. The folks here are somehow looking at this from an emotional level. The only issue here is that folks between 55 & 65 Do not receive the same treatment as anyone younger. They get free benefits, We get a loan that ewe do not even no we had taken. What also is difficult to understand, My benefits were 60-80 a month before I was put on Medicaid When my income dropped very low it sky-rocked. Does this make sense to anyone. If anything I should have had to pay $60 a month still.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:55 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McToons View Post
What I do not understand is the Venom towards me. My daughter was not born with a silver spoon in her mouth. I had to work 12 hour days just to buy my modest 2 bedroom condo, I guess I never had the income you folks enjoy. That's OK, I worked very hard, went to church on Sunday, kept my nose clean & raised my daughter right. I need that money for my retirement as I never made a whole lot of money. There may not be any left over for my daughter. That's life! I do not complain about that. But really shouldn't you be angry at all the people who get all this free without working or contributing to society. Most states see this law as age discrimination as it clearly is.
I was not intending to appear “ venomous “ or “angry” at all, because I am not. Not in the least. I am only trying to state facts here. You have posted some things that are simply not true, or at best very misleading. It’s much more helpful for everyone to know the facts isn’t it? So that they can learn and be aware?

Old 02-02-2022, 09:04 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You have too many inaccuracies to even begin to deal with. The OP is not paying back anything. His ESTATE will be on the hook for it. That’s it.
His estate, that he earned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.