Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 11:28 PM

5,766 posts, read 11,381,748 times

Advertisements

I would think that some of the RV full timers or nomads are getting squeezed by high fuel prices, if they are frequently on the move. If they only move 2 or 3 times per year with the seasons, and the distance is not more than 1000 miles per move, perhaps the fuel cost is not such big deal.

I agree with many above, that the task of buying bare land and setting it up DIY for a rural home is no small task. It is tough (and $$) to find & hire contractors for tasks in places that are far from large towns or cities. Building material costs have skyrocketed too. If one can find a parcel with an existing mobile home, that would mean that power, water and septic is likely in place. After the old mobile home is removed, you have a head start on building something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 12:38 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Spoken like the over the top worrier and hypochondriac we've long been familiar with.
Oh, you're still the real charmer you've always been. Don't ever change.

Quote:
3% of Phoenix/Tucson residents get valley fever. The majority don't even know they are infected. However, dogs get it frequently and it can be expensive to treat.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoe...-monsoons.html

Quote:
We lived for 25+ years in Phoenix, DH has COPD. And IIRC you own a condo in Scottsdale, right? :Smack:
Condo? Hardly.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:58 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
My brother and his wife sold their home and became full-time RVers. They spend a few weeks in each place and see all the attractions and have some really good times. They've been doing it now for almost years. They don't move frequently due to the cost of gas, and the work of setting up and tearing down their 42' RV and all that goes with it.

They are just now starting to talk about finding a winter home base in AZ, probably a mobile home in a park there, and just traveling about 8 months a year. There are some decent parks with reasonably priced park models and tiny homes. These parks are full of great amenities and activities to make friends. Another alternative is to lease a site long-term in an RV campground with full hook-ups. Who knows, maybe someday we'll buy a place near them as a winter getaway.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:10 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Yes, there are still a few reasonably priced parks. The one I linked to lives in one full time. It's a stationary mobile home park. I think another reason that particular woman wants to find a piece of property is that she loves being on the road and caravaning with friends. Just needs to be more stationary now due to health issues. She used to make a lot more $ from her YouTube channel. She used to travel fulltime with a caravan with really interesting YouTube content.

She's kept it going while stationary, with different content (health, cooking, vegan-keto-carnivore diet, makeup and hair).

Old 07-08-2022, 10:20 AM

7,142 posts, read 4,552,321 times
We had a motor home and a month of traveling was sufficient. Lack of space and other issues gets old. We used it to vacation yearly with 4 dogs for 13 years and then sold it.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:25 AM

Yes, it does get old. Even if you have "the right vehicle" it still gets old. Some people really love it and are firmly nomad. Some people have learned to love it. I think if I had the right vehicle for myself I could get used to it. But not with these gas prices.

My mother and her second husband traveled around the U.S., Canada and Alaska for two years, in a 5th wheel. They both loved it but were done after 2 years. They were in their 70's at that time.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:26 AM

13,659 posts, read 9,724,335 times
RV or no RV, the rationale for buying raw open land, and living on it, is privacy. Even the so-called "rural" life entails dealing with neighbors' noises, be it livestock, barking dogs, agricultural equipment, gunfire and so on. The ideal - perhaps impossible ideal? - would be truly remote, where privacy is assured.

From personal experience, 5-10-20 acres in a semi-rural environment isn't enough. Oh, it's certainly enough to NOT have access to public services, such as water/septic, cable or internet. But houses are 100-200 yards apart, instead of 10-20 feet apart. Bedroom noises dissipate, but intentional loud noises, such as chainsaws or pistols, do not.

On a somewhat different topic, I wonder if "nomads" who are now buying land, are doing it primarily for cost-control, or as a long-term investment?

Old 07-08-2022, 10:36 AM

From what I've seen, it's both. Or they could pass it on to children or grandchildren.

I agree, a minimum of 10 acres would be ideal. Or living on a couple acres in proximity to other former nomads as some are doing, and creating a community. "Pandamonium" on YouTube is doing that, I think. Her content is really great. She seems to have a fair amount of money to handle things, and it helps other people who are helping her. Another nomad I follow will probably get a home base too, but not for a few years, I think.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:55 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,971,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We had a motor home and a month of traveling was sufficient. Lack of space and other issues gets old. We used it to vacation yearly with 4 dogs for 13 years and then sold it.
I like "the idea" of being a nomad and travel a lot but DW's idea of "roughing it" starts with a H, e.g., Holiday Inn or Hilton

But who am I kidding, after driving 2 hours just in metro LA my butt hurts

Old 07-08-2022, 11:11 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I've followed several nomads these past few years, most of them are seniors (55 and older). Most are in their 60's. These are people who have a big following on YouTube and due to the excellent quality and popularity of their channels, they have made not a small amount of money. Not just Bob Wells, that wonderful guy.

Anyway, they are buying land and putting down roots and planning to just to camping here and there. I think it's a smart idea if they can do it. So many nomads can't.

One former nomad I've followed for years just posted today that she is looking for land (will probably "park it" there until she can slowly build it up). Rent in her mobile home park east of Phoenix is going up 10% per year while Social Security only goes up 3% per year. She is a very industrious and creative nomad who's had different vehicles and tricked them out. I have no doubt she'll be successful no matter what she does. Her latest is to put a recliner in her minivan (she's had Class C's and other vehicles). What an ingenious idea to create more space and still be comfortable. I slept in a comfy recliner while I was living with and taking care of my dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpZm8Jf7t5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y9TUDO7bjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IOUoX_P6gI&t=11s
Love Caravan Carolyn! I've followed her for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement