Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 03:31 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
As mentioned, the people I linked to have the necessary resources.
In the case of Bob Wells, he derives his income from his YouTube channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 03:56 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
So does CamperVanKevin, and Pandamonium. They also have Patreons and other income streams. Carolyn's RV Life, which is very good also, derives much of her income through YouTube and Patreon but she also still consults part time. There are many nomads who are quite "upwardly mobile" meaning they live in high-end RV's and live quite the life. I really like Traveling Robert, he's a travel channel in his own right. There's a strata to nomad life, just like life in stationary society. But people on this thread know that already!

Old 07-11-2022, 06:17 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Bob Wells also has retirement income. He has a book, though I doubt that brings in a lot of money, which sells on Amazon.

Sadly, I have noticed over the years that he seems tired and tends to be even more reclusive. Gosh, I think I started watching his youtube videos when he started making them. He seems to be a kind man, and is quite interesting to follow.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:45 PM

474 posts, read 318,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Nothing wrong with that!

Old 07-11-2022, 07:55 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
Nothing wrong with that!
Absolutely not!!!

It's actually innovative, to create a content out of real life experience and recognize others are interesting in watching.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:00 PM

Very recently Bob has a young man who has taken over reviewing various boondocking and camping sites, etc. He has a 501(c)(3) which has volunteers (and likely a couple of paid assistants). He is 67 and that's part of why he seems slowed down. But he's still very active with HOWA, the 501(c)(3) that helps compromised seniors get into a vehicle. They do amazing work.

Here's a video posted today about Debra Dickenson's community and other friends (many of them in this video are men) talking about how much they love boondocking and making friends out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DVLC4xwjZA

Old 07-11-2022, 09:03 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,665 times
Living near public land, I've definitely noticed the increase in car campers/boondockers over the past few years. Going to research this USFS study that the YouTuber Debra was talking about. I'm curious/concerned about How many boondockers are living as such out of necessity rather than choice?

Old 07-12-2022, 07:18 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I'm always curious who's sitting around all day watching all these vlogs. It seems people must either spend all day online viewing them or spend all day making them. Kind of defeats the purpose of "getting back to the land," doesn't it? They might as well be sitting in a cubicle in some office building.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:39 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Kind of defeats the purpose of "getting back to the land," doesn't it?
These days seems like it's more about finding a cheap way to exist, or hang out with friends (party in the woods!)

When I did this in the '90s and early '00s, it was easy to find places in the boonies where I wouldn't see anyone at all. But back then, no one else was doing it. Never had internet. No one ever knew where I was. Spent my days wandering around in the wilderness. Making youtube videos would have been a completely different experience... and not something I'd enjoy at all.

I met a national news manager once, who wanted me to write a regular article about my life. I thought about it awhile and agreed, so long as I could remain anonymous and my location secret. She had the opposite idea, so that was the end of that.

BTW, the law wasn't after me or anything, I just would have hated the idea of being any sort of celebrity, even a very minor one.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:08 PM

That's very cool and I'm with you on that. I'm glad there are YouTubers but it's definitely not for me.

Apparently it's still fairly easy to boondock but now it can be a bit more difficult to find a good spot.

Starlink appears to be in flux, let's see what happens with the Dish dispute. Elon Musk withdrew the Twitter bid so what's going on with him (isn't Starlink part of Musk's deals?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement