Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 01:09 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Looking out in a wilderness where there's NOTHING gets boring soon.
If you think there is nothing in the wilderness, you aren't paying attention...

On the other hand if your definition of "something" involves TV, cell phones, internet, and all the distracting noise bouncing around in people's heads, then there may be an absence of that. A glorious absence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 01:20 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
If you think there is nothing in the wilderness, you aren't paying attention...

On the other hand if your definition of "something" involves TV, cell phones, internet, and all the distracting noise bouncing around in people's heads, then there may be an absence of that. A glorious absence.
You're correct. My definition of "something" involves internet access, cell phone, Costco, Walmart, my backyard orchard, reliable water supply, electricity and sewage, and local restaurants, plus a computer desk and a 36" monitor, a comfortable couch to enjoy my 65" TV. Did I mention a comfotable air conditioning when it's 100+ degrees outside?

I will be bored to death out in the middle of nowhere. Pooping in a bucket is not my idea of fun.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:56 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Our motor home was 27 ft but older so no slide outs which can make it feel bigger. The bathroom was tiny. It did have a bedroom with a sliding door which was nice so one person could sleep and one be up. Anyway it wasn’t for me on a long term basis. It feels good to be home!
Slideouts are kind of a double-edged sword. It's nice to have additional space while camping but the slideout gaskets can leak. You guys may have been better off without them.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
do not even entertain the idea of Palmdale/Lancaster in CA. just don't
I used to live in Lancaster. I've been back a couple of times since then. Didn't even recognize our old house.

Still wouldn't want to live there.

Old 07-10-2022, 05:56 PM

11,067 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
If you are talking about Bob's land, it's north of Williams. Show Low is a long way from there. Pretty certain it is not legal and it will cost lots of $$$ to be legal.

But... people can get away with all sorts of things regarding building codes, if you are in a very remote area (which Bob's land is not), and usually in a county that is rural (lacks big towns) and has a libertarian bent. Note that some codes are state and federal wide, so even if the county isn't enforcing them, you still aren't exactly legal.

Frankly, I don't find the rationale for buying a few acres of land and "settling down" very convincing. I think it starts as a dream/fantasy but will quickly become a big headache once all the regulations, expenses, and hassles are presented. Plus the weather is going to suck for half the year at least, vs vagabonding to nice climates all year.

I lived on NF and BLM land for 13 years in the 90s and early 2000s. I violated the 14 day limit all the time, yet was never told to move. Why? I camped in very remote areas for the most part, where I wouldn't see another human for months. No one to complain. Granted it's much more of a "thing" now, and rangers are looking, but I suspect they are busy dealing with the popular gathering spots.
Yes I know Bob's land is north of Williams. Pandamonium (her name is Ausia) just bought land there too (north of Williams).

Both Bob and Ausia caravan with people and go camping a lot all over, especially Bob as you know. I don't think they're stationary at all. They just want to have a home base.

It's easier to deal with the cold than the heat in the desert.

It's getting harder to find remote BLM and U. S. Forest land to boondock on, but it can still be done.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:02 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
We have friends who own a piece of land in a National Forest. The forest and the privately owned parcels are intermingled. On a map where the forest service land is colored green, private land is white, and the map looks like a green/white checkerboard in some places. So my friends own this piece of property (several acres) and there are no services on it. The rules on owning this land say no permanent structures larger than 10 by 10 foot. So they would tow a travel trailer up there every spring after the snow melts (6,000 foot elevation) and camp in their trailer for weeks at a time, bringing the trailer back home when the winter weather is threatening, usually about October. The heavy snow at that altitude might crush the trailer. Over the years they built a shelter (10' x 10' of course) with a fireplace and chimney, and another one with an outdoor kitchen. They tow a big tote full of water ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/16529106073...0290_377867555) up on a trailer too. They've made an outhouse too. They have special totes to drain their trailer's black and grey water tanks and take it to an RV dumpsite when necessary, but use the outhouse as a back-up. They don't stay up there all summer, as they have to work, but they use most of their PTO to spend up at their camp. They have a generator, but don't run it much. A/C at that elevation isn't needed. They just enjoy the forest and do what's available nearby....hiking, swimming, fishing, riding dirt bikes, cooking out, sitting around the fire, playing games, reading, and relaxing. This type of land would be good for nomads who want a summer-time home base, but it's definitely not for the masses. They couldn't live there without being able to take the tote to a place where they can fill it with fresh water, and they have to buy fuel for the generator. If it were mine, I would set up some solar panels, and maybe a vertical windmill similar to this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/31394141071...c0294543fb96b0 , add a lithium battery system for energy storage, and you're good to go.

Last edited by TheShadow; 07-11-2022 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-11-2022, 09:04 AM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
NV has been making a concerted effort to enforce the 14 day rule, and a variety of land types, both camping sites and BLM lands. Too many people trying to "set up house".
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-11-2022, 09:18 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
...They just want to have a home base.
I suppose everyone would like a home base, but at what cost? What does the home base consist of?

When I was browsing around for an area where I could build a hovel to suit me with minimal restrictions, Coconino County came up as a place *not* to do it because of code and enforcement. I don't recall the details, but they expect you to build a viable home that conforms to their rules, if you'll be there for any appreciable time. Living in an RV on your land would not be allowed.

Building a house that you will not be living in most of the time is a luxury far outside the budget of most nomads.

It'll be interesting to see what these people end up with, anyway!

Old 07-11-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Building a house that you will not be living in most of the time is a luxury far outside the budget of most nomads.
Clearly! <chuckle> Isn't it possible most of them are doing this just to get more eyeballs and have no intention of ever following through? Attention-seeking, glamorizing the nomadic life and building a revenue stream is what they do.

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see what these people end up with, anyway!
You can be sure it will be pitched to people who long to get away and live the carefree life...at $5/gallon.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:14 PM

11,067 posts, read 6,881,999 times
As mentioned, the people I linked to have the necessary resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement