Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 12:22 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm always curious who's sitting around all day watching all these vlogs. It seems people must either spend all day online viewing them or spend all day making them. Kind of defeats the purpose of "getting back to the land," doesn't it? They might as well be sitting in a cubicle in some office building.
Most of them are too amateurish to bear watching. Way too many selfies instead of the scenery. Most don't have the right voice to pull it off. Just like good actors are few and far between. I also wonder who is watching all those....

I was excited to see a woman doing our out-of-the-way area. But as it turned out, all she did was eat in front of the camera. I don't want to see a fat woman eat, lol. Let's see the scenery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 12:23 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Starlink appears to be in flux, let's see what happens with the Dish dispute. Elon Musk withdrew the Twitter bid so what's going on with him (isn't Starlink part of Musk's deals?)
Musk lost $100 billion in two months. I'm guessing that gave him a somewhat different perspective.

I use Unlimitedville's T-Mobile data plan. Unlike Starlink, you don't have to use it at a fixed location.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:24 PM

11,067 posts, read 6,881,999 times
I am hearing good thing after good thing about T-Mobile. I hated T-Mobile for years since they screwed my mother out of $400 (she was on auto pay, something I had told her not to do). I swore I'd never ever go with them again, but here I am. I will likely do it.

I'm going to be traveling again in a few months and need reliable internet. Verizon is too expensive. I'll be done with 2nd tier Spectrum by then. It hasn't been terrible but hasn't been super great either.

Old 07-12-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I suppose everyone would like a home base, but at what cost? What does the home base consist of?

When I was browsing around for an area where I could build a hovel to suit me with minimal restrictions, Coconino County came up as a place *not* to do it because of code and enforcement. I don't recall the details, but they expect you to build a viable home that conforms to their rules, if you'll be there for any appreciable time. Living in an RV on your land would not be allowed.

Building a house that you will not be living in most of the time is a luxury far outside the budget of most nomads.

It'll be interesting to see what these people end up with, anyway!
(1) Bob Wells is 67-68 years old. He's stated he needed to let go of the RV Living Forum. He's spread too thin now with HOWA up and running, and he's stated he's tired.

(2) Bob Wells makes well over $100K per year from social media, Patreon, Amazon links, merchandising and now HOWA (likely in a paid position as administrator of the 501(c)(3). I'm sure what he takes from that is minimal, because that's how he rolls.

He has literally been telling people for years NOT to send him money, he doesn't need it. He wants people to send money to those who clearly need it (other nomads with far less income). He gives away the items that various companies send him to review.

(3) Bob Wells has stated numerous times that he hopes to never live in a house again. Any structure he builds on his property would likely be utilized for some other purpose (a business, employees, volunteers, etc.)

I'm waiting to hear about the downside of Starlink from Bob and Carolyn's RV Life because right now (or a couple weeks ago) they were/are stoked. So were some other nomads. There's always going to be a big bad wolf and Dish right now appears to be it.

"Enjoy the Journey" on YouTube (great folks) have already posted the other day about their disappointment with Starlink.

Last edited by pathrunner; 07-12-2022 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 12:52 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I use Unlimitedville's T-Mobile data plan. Unlike Starlink, you don't have to use it at a fixed location.
It's $150/mo... ?

Starlink for RVs isn't fixed... and it's $135/mo with a $600 hardware cost. And you don't need to be anywhere near a tower.

Old 07-12-2022, 01:01 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That's very cool and I'm with you on that. I'm glad there are YouTubers but it's definitely not for me.

Apparently it's still fairly easy to boondock but now it can be a bit more difficult to find a good spot.

Starlink appears to be in flux, let's see what happens with the Dish dispute. Elon Musk withdrew the Twitter bid so what's going on with him (isn't Starlink part of Musk's deals?)
Except he signed a contract to purchase it and he can't just unilaterally decide that he changed his mind and doesn't want it any longer. The Twitter CEO has already said (by way of a tweet, of course) that the company is "committed to closing the transaction on the price and terms agreed upon with Mr. Musk and plans to pursue legal action to enforce the merger agreement."

Stay tuned....

Old 07-12-2022, 01:04 PM

Elon Musk, that ________ fill in your own blank!

Old 07-12-2022, 01:51 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
It's $150/mo... ?
Yeah, so...? I was paying $200 for AT&T and it wasn't worth it.

Quote:
Starlink for RVs isn't fixed... and it's $135/mo with a $600 hardware cost. And you don't need to be anywhere near a tower.
Up to $135/month now, hmm? Not putting a big piece of hardware on top of my van. I've got solar up there.

Old 07-12-2022, 01:53 PM

Bob has a video about how you can quite strongly and effectively stake it into the ground when you're camping or set it up at a campground or RV park. Not a great idea to put that thing on top of a vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uve5OUTWTEY

Old 07-12-2022, 03:43 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yeah, so...? I was paying $200 for AT&T and it wasn't worth it.
I've never had internet access while camping. I use public wifi when I go to town. But others I know pay as little as $30/mo for unlimited data. Granted that is subject to being de-prioritized. What are you getting for $150-200/mo that makes it worth that?

The big advantage of Starlink is that it works where there isn't cell service. But if you only wish to park places where there is cell service, that wouldn't be important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement