Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 08:20 PM

8,338 posts, read 6,421,491 times

Advertisements

I have a large collection of Lionel trains. If a worker took one home I might not miss it for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 08:35 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Not saying home health care workers do this, but Tools on the workbench seem to sprout feet and walk right out of the house.

Elderly widows, in particular, aren't going to notice tools missing off of their late husband's workbench - could have gone missing today, could have gone missing 2 years ago.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:43 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What did anyone expect? Poorly payed and badly educated people are left in a patient's home, with no or little oversight. These are people with three weeks of education, a HS diploma, or GED and not much skin in the game. They don't have a professional license to lose. If they screw up, they can get a job at Walmart.

They need to paid AT LEAST $15-18 per hour. The should be trained by a community college or not-for-profit trade school, with an articulation agreement with at least an LPN or two year ADN school, NOT an agency.

This way, we know that the workers are serious about this line of work. Using cellphones, playing games, texting ALL should be forbidden.

I saw the way my father was "cared for" - I was horrified!

Perhaps nursing schools are a good place to recruit HHAs.

We will continue to get careless and bored, and criminal homecare workers to take care of our loved ones - and eventually - of us.
That IS NOT enough for people that will be changing poop,pee,and handling weight over 100 pounds. I say $24-$26 an hour.

A lot of seniors are overweight these days. I cared for a 300 pound 91 year old. Yes,an obese 91 year old. I damn near had to look twice at the chart AND the patient.

The elderly are getting very obese,like the rest of us. On top of all the other issues.

Most nurses do not want to work as HHA. It is a hard job. Most are serious about what they do but because management does not care,neither do they. It is called compassion fatigue.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:57 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That IS NOT enough for people that will be changing poop,pee,and handling weight over 100 pounds. I say $24-$26 an hour.

A lot of seniors are overweight these days. I cared for a 300 pound 91 year old. Yes,an obese 91 year old. I damn near had to look twice at the chart AND the patient.

The elderly are getting very obese,like the rest of us. On top of all the other issues.

Most nurses do not want to work as HHA. It is a hard job. Most are serious about what they do but because management does not care,neither do they. It is called compassion fatigue.
Yup, not all old people are frail and tiny. My great-uncle and aunt both died last year, six weeks apart, 96 years old and married for 76 years. He was a tall skinny beanpole, and she was five feet tall and five feet wide. I remember when she could still walk in her late 80s laughing at my mother's kitchen table because "the doctor told me again I should lose weight. I am 276 now. Same as my house number! HAHAHAHAHA". Eventually she could not walk and my uncle couldn't care for her, so she went into a facility and he visited her every day. (He went into the same place in his last year when he started to talk about having to fight the Germans.)

I went to the wake for my old boss's mother, who died at 90 of cancer. I was taken aback at the size of her in the casket. I was not expecting a woman that age who had cancer to be almost spilling out of the box.

Old 10-13-2022, 11:00 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
What did anyone expect? Poorly payed and badly educated people are left in a patient's home, with no or little oversight. These are people with three weeks of education, a HS diploma, or GED and not much skin in the game. They don't have a professional license to lose. If they screw up, they can get a job at Walmart.

They need to paid AT LEAST $15-18 per hour. The should be trained by a community college or not-for-profit trade school, with an articulation agreement with at least an LPN or two year ADN school
, NOT an agency.

This way, we know that the workers are serious about this line of work. Using cellphones, playing games, texting ALL should be forbidden.

We will continue to get careless and bored, and criminal homecare workers to take care of our loved ones - and eventually - of us.
If you put these requirements, the shortage will just be 10X worse than it is. You can be an LPN with a 2 year CC degree, who is going to do that to become a CNA? No LPN is going to work for $15-$18 an hour.

Old 10-14-2022, 05:35 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I imagine they start drugging these poor souls. So sad...
HHAs do not have access to medication. They cannot administer ANY medication.

Agitated and disoriented patients frequently find massive relief with the proper, prescribed sedative. All drugs are not bad. Pharmacophobia is sweeping this country, and I find it alarming.

Again, HHAs who receive THREE weeks of training, at a for profit agency that wants a live body to "traine" and send out to a patient's home.

Giving meds is not what they do.

Old 10-16-2022, 10:50 AM

553 posts, read 172,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup, not all old people are frail and tiny. My great-uncle and aunt both died last year, six weeks apart, 96 years old and married for 76 years. He was a tall skinny beanpole, and she was five feet tall and five feet wide. I remember when she could still walk in her late 80s laughing at my mother's kitchen table because "the doctor told me again I should lose weight. I am 276 now. Same as my house number! HAHAHAHAHA". Eventually she could not walk and my uncle couldn't care for her, so she went into a facility and he visited her every day. (He went into the same place in his last year when he started to talk about having to fight the Germans.)

I went to the wake for my old boss's mother, who died at 90 of cancer. I was taken aback at the size of her in the casket. I was not expecting a woman that age who had cancer to be almost spilling out of the box.
They needed the "assets" to twerk until they dropped

Old 10-20-2022, 02:35 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you put these requirements, the shortage will just be 10X worse than it is. You can be an LPN with a 2 year CC degree, who is going to do that to become a CNA? No LPN is going to work for $15-$18 an hour.
You can be an Lpn with 1 year schooling. Most only have the one year schooling

Rn usually have 2 year degrees.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:47 PM

746 posts, read 494,021 times
Quote:

They need to paid AT LEAST $15-18 per hour. The should be trained by a community college or not-for-profit trade school, with an articulation agreement with at least an LPN or two year ADN school, NOT an agency.

You want to pay those people just $15-$18 and expect them to be trained by a community college or trade school when there is a national shortage of healthcare workers already?

Yes, let them play on their phones.
Turn the day to being as towards the worker as much as possible so you can keep them on staff.
Give the worker anything you can, have them bring their trash to your home so they don't need to pay for trash.
You just gave them a $40-$50 raise per mo
Let them do their own laundry while at your house. That gives them more free time
If you have any fruit trees, tell them to go pick some of the fruit
Add them onto those subscriptions, many allow other family members to utilize it too- Youtube TV, Amazon Prime, etc.
When client watches a movie, have them pick 5 they like and let the caregiver choose one of those movies.
Make the shift as fun as possible so they'll stay
Let them cook their dinner in a crockpot and take home. Chop up vegetables while watching a movie together.

If they enjoy their job, maybe they'd be willing to get training. Who knows. Or you can find someone trained and offer them the above, and maybe more to add financial value to their hourly wage, that might be good.

Try to make their shift of more value to them without adding additional stress expecting them to constantly be on their feet working the entire time. Mom is no Queen. People can get the bare minimum but not much more.

Anything more, the pay needs to be closer to $22 per hr.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:54 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You can be an Lpn with 1 year schooling. Most only have the one year schooling

Rn usually have 2 year degrees.
Yes, my oldest sister did the one-year LPN school years ago. She is retired now, 72, taking care of her incapacitated husband, and she is getting offers to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement