Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 10:18 AM

7,807 posts, read 3,810,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Rn usually have 2 year degrees.
Not in my experience -- they all have a BS in Nursing, and many have advanced degrees.

My mom was part of a cohort of RNs trained as part of the WWII effort. She came through a 3-year program, and always commented that she was at a disadvantage because she didn't have a full BS degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 11:17 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Not in my experience -- they all have a BS in Nursing, and many have advanced degrees.

My mom was part of a cohort of RNs trained as part of the WWII effort. She came through a 3-year program, and always commented that she was at a disadvantage because she didn't have a full BS degree.

You can get an associate degree to be an RN, or a four year BSN. There are also 3-year master's programs that give a college grad the RN after the first year.

I was one of the last at my job to go to a two-year hospital RN program.

Everyone takes the same boards.

Old 10-21-2022, 11:49 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You can be an Lpn with 1 year schooling. Most only have the one year schooling

Rn usually have 2 year degrees.
Thanks, Makes my point even stronger, why would a CNA need 2 years schooling? If they did that, they'd have to make LPN and RN twice as long as they are now to justify the higher salary.

Old 10-21-2022, 11:53 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

My niece became an RN with a 2 year degree, although now she has an BSN that her employer paid for. Community colleges offer RN degree.

Old 10-21-2022, 11:57 AM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
CNA’s take a very short training program of approximately 6 weeks.

Old 10-21-2022, 12:43 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
RNs and LPNs can give medications. CNAs cannot.

Old 02-06-2023, 06:49 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Holey bagel... do check this out:

Thirty-six percent of physicians have considered early retirement in the last year, according to "Back From Burnout: Confronting the Post-pandemic Physician Turnover Crisis," an October 2022 report from the Medical Group Management Association and Jackson Physician Search.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:39 PM

746 posts, read 495,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
She is now in a "rehab facility." She has twenty days from sometime last week, at which point she will be discharged either home, or to skilled nursing/memory care.

I can't imagine any physician signing off on the competence of either one of them to send her home. She's "interacting" with dead people daily. She'll be fine, then completely break down and sob for thirty minutes, then you can talk her off the ledge, but it's an exhausting process to get her back to semi-reality - an hour or so of coaxing and going along with the BS in her mind.

She looks at grandfather with almost the whale-eye you see in scared dogs. She is absolutely mortified of him. When they were younger, they'd both abuse each other physically. She would get something and beat the daylights out of him while he was asleep or drunk. He'd beat her at other times. He has over a dozen DUIs, and some violent felonies. She's never been a drinker, but has been arrested numerous times too. They're just bad news, but no one deserves this in a demented state.

If she's going home, I will call APS myself at this point. I went over there with my dad, and the towels all have rat waste on them. Dad's sister has set up rat traps - rats are being attracted because trash isn't being taken off regularly. They live in a rural area in coal country where there is no private or public trash pickup, so you have to haul it all yourself to a collection center. Grandpa had been taking it off, but that's no longer happening, and the trash is piling up and attracting the vermin.

Home health aides, at least no agencies I know of, service that far out.

One of his sisters that doesn't work has been supposedly going over there daily, but I can't imagine anyone of sound mind visiting there daily and letting these conditions continue.

The eldest brother is a multimillionaire, is the only who is fully retired, has no debt, and has been overseas in the Philippines for 4/6 months. He's the only one that has the financial means to move the needle. I get this in a text a few minutes ago.

Spoiler
SC:
That attorney you referred mom and dad to seemed inexperienced. Constantly saying “I need to research.” Looks like they’re just going to have take guardianship of her according to VA law and move on.

Uncle
Have you got a better one?

SC:
We need to research the best elder care/gerontology attorneys from Roanoke down. “I need to Google this” repeatedly doesn’t inspire much confidence anything will be done.

Uncle:
Why don’t you and <SC dad> see what you can come up with

SC
That’ll be me

While they are my grandparents by blood and I am trying to do right by them, I don't think they'd have done a damn thing if something happened to me. I grew up around many people around that age who were friend/neighbors/co-churchgoers of my other set of grandparents who were all better people. My barber for years was like the other grandfather I never had. He died at 92 back in 2018.

It's depressing, but like my uncle, I'm about to just wash my hands of this and move on, let the chips fall where they may. I've done what I can, but this is outside my area of expertise for two bad news people that have alienated everyone
You should talk to the hospital social worker. She has influence to push along your Grandma being put in a Skilled Nursing Facility. Grandpa will surely have to suck it up and pay but not sure how that would work

Old 02-07-2023, 06:13 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Yes. I'm concerned about that.
I see the (lack of) care and attention that people get now.

And with the quality of workers going down hill (IMO) I don't want to think about how people in long-term nursing facilities will be treated. I just pray I"m never in one. And if I am it's one of THE best.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:01 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you put these requirements, the shortage will just be 10X worse than it is. You can be an LPN with a 2 year CC degree, who is going to do that to become a CNA? No LPN is going to work for $15-$18 an hour.
Licensed Practical or Vocational nursing programs are usually about one year in length.

Registered Nurse programs are about two and one half years (Associate in Applied Science degree/ADN) or four (Bachelor of Science/BSN).

There are also second degree BSN programs for those who already hold a four year degree which take about two years.

Once dominate now all but gone (think there is just a handful left in USA) diploma nursing programs run about three years.

Professional nursing long had three pathways for entry; diploma, ADN and BSN. However over past few decades in aid of tightening things up and making nursing a "true" profession there has been a push to mandate BSN only.

This was done once back in day and it failed miserably due to severe nursing shortage. Recently at least two states; CA and NY now mandate the BSN (latter gives ADN nurses ten years after graduation to get their four year degree).

Even if not a state mandate many hospitals or other healthcare facilities "prefer" BSN nurses or those at least nearly finished with a bridge program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement