Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 07:17 PM

88,786 posts, read 85,187,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Yes spring,

It takes a special kind of person to do those jobs. Anyone who just wants a pass into the work force won't find it in home care, at least not in Canada. idk in USA. You have to learn skills before qualification and love helping people. Whose going to pick a job where you change adult diapers. Not me. But home care workers will. Like I said. It takes a special kind of person and dedication.
Well, you have to learn skills to be certified in the USA, as well. A Certified Nursing Assistant, or CNA, is similar to a PSW. They are not well-paid, however.

There's a shortage here in Canada, too. The community care people were relieved that we only wanted a quick PSW visit for some personal grooming/bathing assistance twice a week because they don't have enough staff for all the needs.

But again, the big difference is that they called us to find out what we needed. Besides the not having to pay part.

Also, for the information of my fellow Americans, there are also private companies for home care if you can afford assistance beyond what the provincial health insurance covers. They advertise on TV.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:25 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,314,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
How would she ever begin to pay for property taxes and insurance on a 500K house if all she kept was 60 dollars a month. In what world would that not be considered poor?
In Texas if the owner of the house is a 100% disabled veteran - they do not have to pay property taxes.

My dad was a disabled WW2 veteran. My brother was also a disabled veteran and was taking care of her before she had to be moved.

You just have to do your research.

and the family mansion was not worth 500K - that is just the limit they set in the state of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 07:29 PM

17,483 posts, read 16,664,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
In Texas if the owner of the house is a 100% disabled veteran - they do not have to pay property taxes.

My dad was a disabled WW2 veteran. My brother was also a disabled veteran and was taking care of her before she had to be moved.

You just have to do your research.

and the family mansion was not worth 500K - that is just the limit they set in the state of Texas.
That is good if you are a disabled veteran. But what happens to an elderly civilian who is allowed to keep their 500K house but only given $60/month to live on. How are those taxes going to get paid. And if they don't get paid, I guess that means they lose the house, too?

$60/month amounts to a whopping $13.84 a week. They better have nearby doctors because they'll never be able to afford the gas to get to them otherwise.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
That is good if you are a disabled veteran. But what happens to an elderly civilian who is allowed to keep their 500K house but only given $60/month to live on. How are those taxes going to get paid. And if they don't get paid, I guess that means they lose the house, too?

$60/month amounts to a whopping $13.84 a week. They better have nearby doctors because they'll never be able to afford the gas to get to them otherwise.
Usually they have passed on their house to someone else. If a person was still living there after they went to the nursing home - they won't take the home. After the person in the nursing home sadly passes away, then the occupants of the home have to work on that

And the 60 dollars is for the occupant of the nursing home - for extra snacks, etc. That is just one example.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:38 PM

19,747 posts, read 10,182,248 times
Medicaid is different in each state, so you need to do some research.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Medicaid is different in each state, so you need to do some research.
Yes! It sure is - so have to really read the regs for your state!

Old 10-05-2022, 09:22 PM

35,167 posts, read 31,475,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You pay privately until you're down to about 6 months of money left, then apply for Medicaid. My mom still had about $25,000 left when she applied, you don't have to wait till you're down to $2000 before you apply. It takes a long time to get approved. Her place (ALF required 18 months of private pay to be allowed to stay on Medicaid but she ended up being able to pay for 3 years. If you run out of money before it's approved the facility lists you as "Medicaid Pending" and they will reimburse the facility for those months once it's approved. The facility is on top of it and will tell you when to apply.

It is always better to find a place while you still have that dangling carrot of ability to private pay for awhile. If you wait till you're broke you won't have many if any choices. But in either case you have to apply while you still have money because it takes time. Medicaid just won't start paying until you're down to $2000 but you can be approved before that.
This is relevant to my family.

I need to do more due diligence, but the demented grandmother and grandfather have always split money. Our best guess is they have about $100k in checking each - no other investments, but no one has accesses to their finances to confirm anything. Grandfather won't pay a penny for her treatment. She's demented to the point that she doesn't know what money even is now. She has no one else on her accounts, so no one can access her money.

She fell a few weeks ago. She's in a rehab facility, but will be required to leave next Friday. Where do you send someone like this? She's not poor enough for Medicaid without clawbacks, but her money is inaccessible. The husband won't pay. Only 1/5 kids are financially able to cover the costs of private pay, and he won't do it.

What do you do here?

Old 10-06-2022, 07:03 AM

51,071 posts, read 36,780,840 times
Quote:
By "in that state" I only meant that your mom was not the one hiring the lawyers and geriatric case worker, etc. Nor would she likely have been able to wade through all of that by herself.
No, she wouldn't have had any idea about any of it. But she wouldn't have when she was 40, either.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:04 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,721,275 times
A reality because ungrateful children run away from their parents when they need help and want to stay in their home. They're "too busy".

Old 10-06-2022, 07:06 AM

51,071 posts, read 36,780,840 times
Quote:
How would she ever begin to pay for property taxes and insurance on a 500K house if all she kept was 60 dollars a month. In what world would that not be considered poor?
Usually family does. Usually one of the kids moves in or something. If there's no family, there's really no reason to keep it. The person might as well sell it and go to a really nice ALF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement