Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 01:17 PM

11,590 posts, read 6,052,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I didn't know what a drafting stool is, lol.

This is going to sound triviai, but I usually eat in my living room so I can watch the big screen tv (I don't have the open floor plan, my house is old), so I bought a black tray with legs in an L-shape which go under the couch so you can pull it right up to you and eat without bending forward like you need to do with a wood tray with straight legs and I love it. I purchased it in BBBY, but it's closed now.
I went the opposite way. I bought a TV for the dining room so I can watch at the dinner table.

I used to do it your way. I had some spills. Mostly I just didn't like the eating position or the rickety little table for my dishes and other dinner items. I finally just broke down and bought a 2nd TV, so I can watch at the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 01:18 PM

3,065 posts, read 2,046,984 times
My suggestions heard from older people in Florida:
--ditch your boxspring under the mattress if you aren't tall enough to get into a higher bed easily--lower height mattress can also prevent broken bones if you happen to fall out of bed
--get a portable bed rail if you have turned over while asleep and fallen out of bed--get "portable" so you can use it in hotels or while staying with relatives
--do not use small area rugs anywhere-falls are big reason for older people's injuries
--grab bars in shower are very high priority

In our home we:
--added multiple kitchen lighting strips under wall cabinets--no electrician needed since they are available to plug in or on battery
--we're adding more lighting everywhere--our home is 10 years old and there are no lights in closets :-( and hallways need more watts

Don't buy furniture with pointy ends, whether glass or metal or wood

Old 08-30-2023, 01:21 PM

3,065 posts, read 2,046,984 times
Igor Blevin said:I really wish my shower had seating and some place to put my foot up, one at a time.

We bought a portable shower seat when a pregnant niece visited us. That has been SO useful to use in many other places: gardening, re-arranging lower kitchen cabinets and many other ways

Old 08-30-2023, 01:25 PM

11,590 posts, read 6,052,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
FWIW, lift recliners are something NOT to get unless absolutely required. Most nurses and docs will tell you that the getting out of a chair motion is vital to keep the lower body and abdominal strength.

There are two-step step stools that come with a grab bar on top. I have one, and it makes standing on it safer.

A bed at the proper height for standing up out of it safely, possibly a four poster for the ability to grab the posts.

After the first couple broken tumblers and glasses, plastic replacements. Finding tiny bits of glass is difficult enough, wandering around in sock feet makes the problem worse. The same for dishes.

Good kevlar gloves for use when cutting slippery or odd shaped items.

Old style notebooks for recording doctor visits and important phone calls. It is amazing how a receptionist will dismount a high horse when told "Let's see, oh yes. I have it written in my notebook. I talked with you on August 21 at 2PM and you said... " Doctor instructions don't get lost, and any insurance issues are more quickly resolved. "No, I did not have that test run that visit. I had ..." (It can be done on a phone, but in a court of law, a notebook that has fixed pages will trump most phone notes.)

A good sitting window and/or front porch. Even if only used a few days a year, they keep a connection with nature and the world around.
I will just put in a plug for the best step ladder I have found. It is light and has 3 usable steps, with a high grab bar for stability. It is just wonderful. I can't believe how light it is for its size, just 17 pounds. It looks heavier than it is. It is light.

It folds up completely flat so it stores in a small gap. I can't recommend this step ladder enough.

The only con - it is expensive at $300 but it is super safe, light, useful, easy to maneuver, and holds 300 pounds.

They offer a 4-step as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Hasegawa-Ladd...09TQ1F9VZ&th=1

Old 08-30-2023, 01:27 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,427,167 times
When I had my toilet replaced, they ordered the raised style by accident, so I don't have to think about that later on.

I have a step-in small shower, no tub. Will probably get grab bars at some point.

No stairs.

One of those arm-extender grabber things. Very helpful for crowded closets.

Laundry machines outside the bathroom, all one floor.

Most of these decisions came because I designed the house at age 65. If I ever move, it'll be to a 55+ place with an elevator.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:29 PM

1,462 posts, read 662,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
More obscure / luxury accessories:
[] Foot Pedal Sink Faucet Controller - have your kitchen sink or bathroom sink controlled by your foot. Useful if both hands are needed, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-St...dp/B07X59KMFS/

[] Pot filler - a cold water faucet over the cooktop, so you can fill a pot on the stove. Don't have to lift a heavy pot of water.

Champagne taste / beer budget
[] In the past, there were a number of companies that made "all refrigerators" / "freezerless refrigerators". You could mix and match with an upright freezer and get the capacity of a $4k luxury model for 1/4 the price.

The advantage - you don't have to compromise on placement of "your" items. Each unit is optimized for its function.

The disadvantage - no built in water dispenser or ice cube maker.
However, you can use the savings to buy a "clear ice maker".
[] https://www.newair.com/products/coun...ker-clearice40

The next best "trick" is to buy 2 generic refrigerators with top freezers (with no gadgets to break), to get the capacity of an upright freezer.
Make sure that the thermostat and sensor are easy to replace. We had to replace ours ($20 part), and saved ourselves $300 service call.

Accessible Home Page:
https://www.lowes.com/c/Accessible-home
Your posts just keep getting more and more awesome. Great ideas! With graphics to boot! Well, it's in the name after all!

Old 08-30-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Extra-high toilets are a real benefit too. Oh, and lever handles on doors instead of knobs. Big help at any age.
I have levers on all doors. Unfortunately, my new dog can jump up and hit the lever so I have to lock doors to keep him in.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:34 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,863,438 times
Curbless shower.
Toto toilet with washlet. Warm water for your butt. Then a quick dry.
Towel warmer.
Radiant heated flooring.
LED lit bathroom mirrors.
Drawers in all lower cabinets.
Induction hob. Faster, more energy efficient, safer.
Wall ovens. At your desired height.
Wine fridge.
Front loader washer.
High quality ceiling fans. For example, BigAssFans.com
Rachio sprinkler controller if you have irrigation.
Ekornes Stressless chair(s).
Aeron chairs if you have home office.
100% LED lighting in the color temperature of your choice.
Speakers in all the rooms to enjoy music everywhere.

Last edited by davebarnes; 08-30-2023 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-30-2023, 01:39 PM

I had radiant floor heat put in when the house was built but it rarely comes on in the winter, due to the eastern sun blasting in. I do like it very much, as do the dogs.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:44 PM

Hire for landscaping/weed pulling. I have a small lot. It's too hot and I'm too tired to do it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement