Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 08:05 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,055,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
It's easy to say suicide assisted or not is wrong, but those who are against it...well, are they willing to provide the resources 24/7 so the ill person can live in dignity?

What resources would allow an incontinent, combative person who no longer recognizes his family to live in dignity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 08:16 AM

11,172 posts, read 9,800,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Sandy Bem, a well-known writer and professor at Cornell, planned her suicide once she got the dementia diagnosis:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-family-grieve

If you have an NYT subscription, you can read a longer story here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/m...-her-life.html

I found her story very moving.
I found that story comforting. I believe that if it were me, I'd try to take myself out during those brief moments of lucidity that occur even in those who are fairly far along the path of dementia, but prior to the angry, violent, or catatonic -like states. Once I realized that time was approaching, like the women in the story, I'd prepare all my paperwork for my survivors, obtain the means to handle the job, and have those things at the ready for the day I realized it was enough, and it was time to go.

In the case of my older relatives who've passed after their health declined, we all knew the time was approaching and that release from the prison of a painful body/mind was the best any of us could wish for at that point. Once you know it's all downhill, and really all the good in your life has passed, and all that remains is misery, release is what we'd wish for. My grieving for my own mom and MIL were both eased by the knowledge that this was for the best in the end. I grieved my loss, but not because I felt they were short-changed. They were ready to go and that's what mattered.

Last edited by TheShadow; 10-09-2023 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-09-2023, 08:24 AM

17,431 posts, read 16,608,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
What resources would allow an incontinent, combative person who no longer recognizes his family to live in dignity?
My dad had dementia and the answer is that there is no way to preserve their dignity. You can keep them "safe", nourished, clean. But by the time they are in the locked unit of a dementia ward they have zero quality of life left. They are no longer the same person.

If I find myself slipping away, I can see going out to a remote, well stocked cabin and living out the remainder of my life among my familiar things, surrounded by nature. Would I last as long in that setting as I would in a nursing home? Maybe not. But that's o.k. Quality not quantity.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:08 AM

8,395 posts, read 4,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I worked in a locked psychiatric dementia unit when working. End state dementia is as Teacher Terry describes, at least that which I saw was dreadful. No such thing as "pleasantly confused." I would never want to get anywhere near that way for myself.
How come they did not get that under control pharmacologically? There is now a drug geared towards control of agitation in Alzheimer's (I don't know the name off hand, it's a piperazine-type drug) which may not have been available when you worked there, but risperidine has been around for quite a long time, and Haldol even longer.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:14 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,444,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
How come they did not get that under control pharmacologically? There is now a drug geared towards control of agitation in Alzheimer's (I don't know the name off hand, it's a piperazine-type drug) which may not have been available when you worked there, but risperidine has been around for quite a long time, and Haldol even longer.
The antipsychotics have often paradoxical effects on dementia patients. They were in the psych hospital largely because they flunked out of nursing homes and what medications were available. Also, there are different causes of dementia than Alzheimer's (vascular, Lewy body) and people cannot always or ever often be treated successfully for the alarming signs and symptoms.

There were and are no good answers. I recently talked with my former coworker who was charge of that unit (and the hospital was #1 in U.S. News and World Report) famous for its research. There are no good answers.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:14 AM

2,118 posts, read 1,053,525 times
Quote:
How come they did not get that under control pharmacologically?
Yes, so the big drug companies can rake in even more cash until the final end? Just so grandma can sit around in a catatonic state in a pile of her own filth?

It's been stated many times before, but we don't subject such horrific living conditions to animals, so why do we do it to fellow humans?

Old 10-09-2023, 09:40 AM

8,395 posts, read 4,422,654 times
Quote:
The antipsychotics have often paradoxical effects on dementia patients. They were in the psych hospital largely because they flunked out of nursing homes and what medications were available. Also, there are different causes of dementia than Alzheimer's (vascular, Lewy body) and people cannot always or ever often be treated successfully for the alarming signs and symptoms.

There were and are no good answers. I recently talked with my former coworker who was charge of that unit (and the hospital was #1 in U.S. News and World Report) famous for its research. There are no good answers.

Hmm interesting. Yes, of course I know there are different types of dementia with very different mechanisms of loss of cognitive function. Well, I was in an area of medicine far from psychiatry, but in my world any agitation could be controlled in anybody, including in all demented people, with IV drugs. But I recognize that is not feasible long-term.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:54 AM

17,431 posts, read 16,608,757 times
Quote:
Hmm interesting. Yes, of course I know there are different types of dementia with very different mechanisms of loss of cognitive function. Well, I was in an area of medicine far from psychiatry, but in my world any agitation could be controlled in anybody, including in all demented people, with IV drugs. But I recognize that is not feasible long-term.
I lost my dad over 20 years ago but I remember how medications would sometimes work and then out of the blue stop working like he was taking nothing at all. The doctor would come by the nursing home, switch him onto something else which sometimes helped and sometimes the new meds created more bizarre behavior.

Every time I walked into visit him, there was usually a patient trying to slip out of the locked door and there were always patients wandering around the hall doing bizarre things. Screaming, moaning, combativeness. Once a sweet wife made a pretty fall wreath to hang on her husband's door - just to cheer things up a bit for him. They had to take it down when he started to eat the fake fruit off of it.

The worst thing is when they have moments of lucidity and actually seem, for at least a few moments, to realize where they are.

Old 10-09-2023, 06:23 PM

1,843 posts, read 821,481 times
Quote:

My sister, her spouse & I took our father to the ER after he knocked me out & took off naked down the street. The ER gave him a big dose of haldol, then the discharge coordinator at the hospital set in motion the plan for him to enter a skilled nursing facility, where he was kept sedated & lived that way for 5 years, until he died from sepsis due to decubitus (bed sores).

This happened to my family a few years back, but I really don’t think it has changed much. It’s probably what will happen to Bruce Willis, with the difference being that his wealth will give him better access to quality caregivers, probably in-home rather than institutional.

Old 10-09-2023, 08:04 PM

19,879 posts, read 9,424,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
My sister, her spouse & I took our father to the ER after he knocked me out & took off naked down the street. The ER gave him a big dose of haldol, then the discharge coordinator at the hospital set in motion the plan for him to enter a skilled nursing facility, where he was kept sedated & lived that way for 5 years, until he died from sepsis due to decubitus (bed sores).

This happened to my family a few years back, but I really don’t think it has changed much. It’s probably what will happen to Bruce Willis, with the difference being that his wealth will give him better access to quality caregivers, probably in-home rather than institutional.
How could anyone say that this man was better off being kept alive than being allowed to die in a painless way is beyond my understanding. This is absolutely shameful that this kind of thing is permitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement