Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 07:53 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

I'm a young 64YO in great shape and will have taken 4 international trips this year--all involving 8+ hour redeye flights.

My question to those of you older than me, until what age have you or do you think you will still have the desire and physical ability to take a leisure flight to Europe, South America, Asia or anywhere else requiring a minimum 8+ hour (in some cases double that) flight abroad??

I'm thinking/hoping (barring any changes to my health) I still have a good 10-12 years. Not sure I will at age 80+, but curious to hear from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 09:10 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Probably into my 70s, but time and health will tell. I'm also 64 and have no problem with the overnight flights, I do get frustrated with the airlines delayed flights, missed connections, last minute overnights at random airport hotels, crappy airline snacks and food. Sometimes one has to take multiple short flights and none of them feed you, so it's necessary to get food in the airport and carry it onboard. Then you have to eat it while no one else is eating and it feels rude or weird. I'm hoping airlines will start making larger seats and more legroom available at less than they are charging for them now. Economy is damned uncomfortable for long flights.

Old 10-19-2023, 09:11 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Impossible to predict a set age. I will just keep going until I cannot. The flights are tiring & bothersome,but I still put up with them in order to get to my destination. AS long as the destination & trips are still enjoyable, I will put up with getting there.

Old 10-19-2023, 10:05 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
You just do it… Until you don’t. For some people that may be in their 40s. For some people it may be later. For some people it has been never.

Old 10-19-2023, 10:15 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I certainly didn't like being told I had to RUN to our connecting flight because the last flight was delayed. Total panic, barely made it, last ones in....talk about stress. I haven't "run" since Jr. High, lol.

I can deal with the crappy/no food and small seats, but some airlines don't even have movies anymore and that makes it rough for long flights. How cheap.

We live overseas, so will continue until we can't 'cause we like to go "home" every year. We're 68. DH is in great shape too, which helps a lot, and I "get by".

Old 10-19-2023, 10:26 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

I'm thinking/hoping (barring any changes to my health) I still have a good 10-12 years. Not sure I will at age 80+, but curious to hear from others.
On our return flight from Italy to Idaho, we met an 83-years old woman in a wheelchair who was taking similar long routes. We were flying from Bologna to London (~3 hrs), London to Seattle (~10hrs) then Seattle to Boise (~2 hrs). She was flying from Bologna to London, London to Dallas? then to Salt Lake city.

She was traveling all by herself to attend a painting workshop in Bologna. Her 87 years old husband used to travel with her until about 2 years ago when he started having Parkinson's disease symptoms. She told me she did not start painting until she was 80 years old.

Of course, she had assistance to get on and off the plane but during overlays she was on her own. We offered to help pushing her wheelchair to the restroom and to take a very short walk to relieve her leg neuropathy pain. She used a walking stick and leaned on me to walk.

I am a pretty independent and capable 71 years old woman. However, I do not know whether I would have the will and determination to take long international trips if I was in the same situation as this amazing woman.

Old 10-19-2023, 10:39 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I certainly didn't like being told I had to RUN to our connecting flight because the last flight was delayed. Total panic, barely made it, last ones in....talk about stress. I haven't "run" since Jr. High, lol.

I can deal with the crappy/no food and small seats, but some airlines don't even have movies anymore and that makes it rough for long flights. How cheap.

We live overseas, so will continue until we can't 'cause we like to go "home" every year. We're 68. DH is in great shape too, which helps a lot, and I "get by".
If I was told to run to my next flight I woudl tell them to call me a golf cart for transfer. We did that before, when our first flight landed late & connection to next time was short. I knew I couldn't walk fast enough to make it, so they called a golf cart passenger ferry vehicle & we made it on time.

Old 10-19-2023, 10:57 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Longer if it is part of a mission than if it is traveling as a tourist. So, if someone is paying me, willing to put up with it. If I am paying them, not really.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Until I can't.

We've had several friends travel solo internationally into their 90's.

One met us in Ireland for her 93rd B-Day

She had several connections, coming from a rural remote area in USA, and meeting us far from a main hub airport in Northern tip of Ireland (Where she was born - age 18).

Old 10-19-2023, 11:53 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Greetings:

I'm a young 64YO in great shape and will have taken 4 international trips this year--all involving 8+ hour redeye flights.

My question to those of you older than me, until what age have you or do you think you will still have the desire and physical ability to take a leisure flight to Europe, South America, Asia or anywhere else requiring a minimum 8+ hour (in some cases double that) flight abroad??

I have no idea. How would I know that now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement