Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 11:35 AM

37 posts, read 17,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
See if these multi-stopovers are still available.

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/snea...ir-new-zealand
Thank you. I'll check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 11:45 AM

844 posts, read 430,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We enjoyed a transatlantic repositioning cruise. If you have tons of time to travel, and you can entertain yourself on multi-days at sea, repositioning cruises could be an alternative for those who are "done" with long flights. The traveling part can be as pleasant as the destination.
We did the cruise twice, an Alaskan cruise and a New England cruise, both about 6-7 days. We enjoyed them.

I'm tempted to try the next cruise from LA to Hawaii, that should be 10-11 days.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:22 PM

2,543 posts, read 3,752,098 times
Until I can no longer afford lie flat seat for those long haul flights.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:30 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,977,227 times
My hubby and I fly direct from EWR to HNL and HNL to EWR once a year. Going out was 11 hours this past May, usually it’s 10 1/2 hours and coming back is about 9 1/2 hours. We both are going on 74 years old. We hope to continue flying this flight until one of us can’t. I do wear compression stockings all the time, no swollen ankles for me.

Old 10-23-2023, 03:41 PM

395 posts, read 285,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We enjoyed a transatlantic repositioning cruise. If you have tons of time to travel, and you can entertain yourself on multi-days at sea, repositioning cruises could be an alternative for those who are "done" with long flights. The traveling part can be as pleasant as the destination.
We're on the last day of a transatlantic cruise (tomorrow we dock in Florida). I prefer this to a 10+ hour flight, even in business/first class. We still have to deal with a flight to CA though, but at least it's a much shorter flight. I've flown enough in my lifetime (I'm 67), I wish I could avoid the airport scene altogether.

Old 10-23-2023, 03:59 PM

7,483 posts, read 6,668,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm 76, and I think I reached the "I'm done" mark with my most recent flight to the UK last May. I flew business class and had a lie-flat seat, but it wasn't enough to compensate for the general discomfort of flying overnight and the subsequent jet lag. If I ever go back to Europe, I'll find a way to fly during the daytime.

Yes, I noticed the same thing....even with layflats, I'm still tired on a redeye--though the adrenaline from the thrill of arriving at my destination spot enables me to power through "tiredness"...I returned in Business Class with a layflat on a morning departure and hardly noticed any jet lag. I also took advantage of the Business Class amenities such as on board movies and meals (something I pass on with redeye flights, focusing on sleep instead).

Old 10-25-2023, 02:26 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,130,433 times
I’m 63 and I frequently drive a car non stop from northern Washington to the SF Bay Area.
It takes 13-14 hours to go 846 miles door to door which I prefer to do in the middle of the night.
My Mom in her late 80’s does this too.
I plan on doing this until I can’t, then doing this with a decent rest midway.

I’m ok with long red eye flights.
It’s those crappy 6 hour hold overs that destroy me.

Old 10-25-2023, 06:17 PM

25,733 posts, read 17,500,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Greetings:

I'm a young 64YO in great shape and will have taken 4 international trips this year--all involving 8+ hour redeye flights.

My question to those of you older than me, until what age have you or do you think you will still have the desire and physical ability to take a leisure flight to Europe, South America, Asia or anywhere else requiring a minimum 8+ hour (in some cases double that) flight abroad??

I'm thinking/hoping (barring any changes to my health) I still have a good 10-12 years. Not sure I will at age 80+, but curious to hear from others.
I'm 78 and take the overnight train to visit my sister. Same thing, sorta.
I could get a roomette, but really, I sleep about as well back in the coach as I do up next to the engine, which must constantly blow his horn.

But my workout (3X a week) includes stretching, balance and strength. AND Sis picks me up and we go home and visit. No one else; just the two of us, so it's easy to take a nap.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:03 PM

11,170 posts, read 6,756,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
At ages 75/65 do not know.
But, we only fly business class or better. Life is too short for cattle car class.
Some of us can handle it. I have better things to spend my money on. Your comment is kind of snooty, lol.

For some reason, most of our flights end up being red-eye. I don't care. I just read; can't sleep sitting up. We're tough enough to handle a little inconvenience, at 68. The beach condo in San Diego makes it all worth it. Looking at the surfers right now.

I don't see this changing anytime soon. I have better things to spend my money on than a luxury flight, lol.

If we could cruise here, I would do that in a minute. But so far, I haven't found any. They stop over in Ecuador, but don't originate where we are. The repositioning cruises to Europe were a fantastic way to travel and as affordable as airfare. I wish we could get one from So. America to CA.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:55 AM

377 posts, read 220,750 times
I retired at age 61-1/2 year old.
The last 20 year, we lived/worked oversea's.

God willing, we will never get another Stamp in our Passports.

All the years of multiple leg transits with 11 to 14 hour Transatlantic flights, Jet Lag after crossing 7 Time Zones, crowded airports and dealing with Security, multiple layovers with total transit times of 42 to 45 hours on the longest routes.

....... All that just ruined International travel for us.

We prefer to take Road Trips in the good ole USA and enjoy taking our time. We usually take the Back Roads.

Retirement is wonderful !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement