Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 11:10 AM

11,136 posts, read 9,769,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
At 78 long haul flights have become a nightmare. Like you we did a 7 hour flight into Hawaii. The economy class seats nearly killed me. There’s just no way you can get comfortable with your knees jammed up against the back seat of the person in front of you.

And the TSA. The only saving grace was going through the security line they are letting people 75 and older keep their shoes on. They even confiscated my brand new packaged tooth paste because the tube was too large. We were in Lahaina just 8 hours or so before the fire.
Applying for TSA Pre-check reduces all the TSA hassles. No shoes come off, no pulling out the plastic baggie of toiletries, or electronics. Basically just empty the pockets and plop your bag on the xray machine. 5-10 minute line, TOPS. As I get older (65 now), I'll spring for business class, or at least economy plus.

Lahaina was a horrible tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
We did the cruise twice, an Alaskan cruise and a New England cruise, both about 6-7 days. We enjoyed them.

I'm tempted to try the next cruise from LA to Hawaii, that should be 10-11 days.
Add on some land time after the cruise before you fly home if it's a one way cruise.

Old 01-28-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
International flights - as long as I can. But redeyes? I gave those up in my 20s. I have a fear of flying so really don't sleep on flights. I budget in time and a hotel stay when I land to adjust before getting started, rather than wasting a few days of fatigue.
I've never gotten jet lag. I'm usually so excited by the travel I can't get to sleep anyway, on a plane or elsewhere, so I'm awake at least 19 hours a day. I'm an early riser and that never seems to change no matter the time zone. One recent trip we were up for over 40 hours straight with our long flights (4) and the fact that we arrived in the am and our people there expected us to be awake all day with them. I passed out for about 4 hours sometime about midnight the second day (hour 40), woke up at 4am and walked down the road for an ocean swim, then got everyone up at 7 am for our morning whale watch tour. Everyone's tolerance is different.

Old 01-28-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Agree! I fly economy but always select an aisle seat so I can control my movements without asking seat mates to let me out. At different times, I stand and do stretches and walk the aisles. Works going across the pond and when I did a 17 hour nonstop to Sydney. I could not sit on my rear end that long!!!
Compression stockings are good too. I'm still relatively young (65) but have gotten 2 DVTs (none were flight or sitting-related) so long sit times are said to be a factor for many, so I use the stockings when I fly or ride a train for hours. DH and I do as you do and book aisle seats, across from one another, so we can get up as needed. I like to go to the area near the rear restrooms and there's usually a bit of room there to stretch and bend and get the kinks out. I've even hung out with the FA back there and she gave me an extra drink.

Old 01-28-2024, 03:03 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,868 times
I'm done with it. This past summer my mother and I went to England for her last trip back home to celebrate her 90th birthday. We took a daytime flight from JFK that arrived in London at 8pm in time for us to drive to her hometown about two hours away. I'll do that from now on. Even with the overpriced night at the TWA hotel inside Terminal 5, it was still cheaper than the business class seats on the overnight flight.

The jet lag is almost non-existent, as you get to London or Paris well before bedtime. It's not as difficult now to go to bed early as it is to stay up too late. Our time difference is six hours and we didn't even notice it this past time.

Delta partners with Virgin and Air France for these day time flights. The Paris flight will begin in a few weeks, I think. I strongly urge anyone who can't stand the thought of another overnight flight to give it a try.

Old 01-28-2024, 04:00 PM

17,590 posts, read 13,372,722 times
I took one red eye to Europe when I was in my 50s and NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER took one again

Awful on the body and awful on body's circadian rhythm

Old 01-28-2024, 04:18 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,798 times
Zero? Never done it no interest in starting.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:35 AM

44 posts, read 23,447 times
Until we can't. It's easier now flying strictly business class for any flights over 4 hours.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:32 PM

179 posts, read 299,189 times
I don’t do red eye, but we fly 10+ hour flights annually but always on business class. Can’t do economy or economy plus at this stage in my life.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:36 PM

179 posts, read 299,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Compression stockings are good too. I'm still relatively young (65) but have gotten 2 DVTs (none were flight or sitting-related) so long sit times are said to be a factor for many, so I use the stockings when I fly or ride a train for hours. DH and I do as you do and book aisle seats, across from one another, so we can get up as needed. I like to go to the area near the rear restrooms and there's usually a bit of room there to stretch and bend and get the kinks out. I've even hung out with the FA back there and she gave me an extra drink.
What caused the DVTs in your case? Are you more prone to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement