Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 01:16 PM

8,179 posts, read 8,409,597 times

Advertisements

I think I’m done (age 74, but turn 75 in March) after our trip to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Taiwan coming up in 4 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2023, 01:21 PM

844 posts, read 426,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I think I’m done (age 74, but turn 75 in March) after our trip to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Taiwan coming up in 4 months.
Sounds like fun! I watch the food market with these countries on YouTube!

Old 10-22-2023, 08:42 PM

6,397 posts, read 4,866,990 times
Early in September, I flew from my home in Maui to LAX, (5 hours on Hawaiian). A day later, I flew with 3 friends to London, (10 hours on United in Premium Economy).

Two weeks later, after an Iceland cruise, we flew back to LAX (on Virgin Atlantic in Premium Economy), then I came home on Hawaiian.

United was far superior to Virgin, which surprised me. I was really expecting to love Virgin, based upon reviews. Even the food was better on United. Virgin's restrooms were huge, which I liked.

One member of my group flew in Business class and was not impressed with either airline.

As I traveled, I came to the conclusion that it was probably my last lengthy flight. I just don't have it in me anymore. Next month I will be 70.

Old 10-23-2023, 05:32 AM

4,752 posts, read 4,457,532 times
It's not my favorite thing to do (never was) flying in general and certainly flying over 6 hours at that, but I'm still up for it at 70.
We did an eastcoast USA to Italy in the spring and will be doing an eastcoast USA to Israel in a bit. (I can't remember but it's something like 10 hours). DH is 73 and also feels the same way.
Torn about lay overs and maybe will try to do an extended lay over for more than a few hours which is appealing but either way, it's still over 6 hours.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:43 AM

11,208 posts, read 9,835,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
There is for some people, but I'm prone to seasickness, so that's a no-go for me. Yes, I have tried all the seasickness preventatives and remedies. But thanks for the thought anyway.
I've been seasick before, so I know how yucky it can be. With the large cruise ships of today, and all the stabilizers installed on new ships, I never even feel the motion on a large cruise ship. If you haven't cruised in a long time, you might try a short cruise to see if you still get seasick. Or not. Just a suggestion if you still are interested in travel.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:50 AM

11,208 posts, read 9,835,806 times
We enjoyed a transatlantic repositioning cruise. If you have tons of time to travel, and you can entertain yourself on multi-days at sea, repositioning cruises could be an alternative for those who are "done" with long flights. The traveling part can be as pleasant as the destination.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:09 AM

43,862 posts, read 44,629,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Greetings:

I'm a young 64YO in great shape and will have taken 4 international trips this year--all involving 8+ hour redeye flights.

My question to those of you older than me, until what age have you or do you think you will still have the desire and physical ability to take a leisure flight to Europe, South America, Asia or anywhere else requiring a minimum 8+ hour (in some cases double that) flight abroad??

I'm thinking/hoping (barring any changes to my health) I still have a good 10-12 years. Not sure I will at age 80+, but curious to hear from others.
My father flew last year internationally to give a talk at a professional conference with one of the flights in each direction of at least 10 hours (and he had to transfer to a second much shorter flight in each direction) at age 85. My father is a great shape with the exception of one medical condition for which he is taking medication. So I think it really depends on one's physical shape and willingness to travel if one decides on taking these long distance trips or not.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:50 AM

3,767 posts, read 5,886,253 times
Been to Europe 3 times ( over night flights, econ.) Hawaii, Mexico , most of the USA. While economy was not fun, I am glad for those experiences. However, wife has MS now and it is very difficult to travel especially by air with her. Last time , I said, NEVER AGAIN. Car travel seems to be better but still not a picnic. After traveling through DIA last summer with only one TSA location, it was bedlam. Even the Pre-check TSA was a snake shaped line. Not a pleasant experience. We are both 72 , I am in pretty good shape ( gym 3 times a week). However, I tell people to travel while you still have your health as money and time come and go, come and go but once your health goes, that is it.

Our 50th wedding anniversary is coming up and wife wants to do a cruise like we did for 25th. I am going to investigate cruises that if not only limited mobility , at least have many accommodations for those type of folks. Even if it cost much more, it will be worth it. Probably go to Alaska or so.

Those of you that still like it, more power to you. The bloom is off the rose for me.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:00 AM

37 posts, read 17,796 times
I am 71 and just got back from a 3 week trip to Europe - flew in premium economy. Earlier this year we flew to South Africa in Economy - 14 hours going and 16 hours coming back - the flight wasn't full so we were able to stretch out a bit. Right now I'm looking for flights to New Zealand in April. I will probably combine it with either Fiji or Australia but still looking at options. We will continue to travel as long as our health allows.

Old 10-23-2023, 10:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,331,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhapsodybluezz View Post
...Right now I'm looking for flights to New Zealand in April. I will probably combine it with either Fiji or Australia but still looking at options. We will continue to travel as long as our health allows.
See if these multi-stopovers are still available.

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/snea...ir-new-zealand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement