Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 09:54 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
We just got back from Europe after a 9+ hour return flight in economy. It wasn’t too terrible except the plane was absolutely freezing. People were putting up their jacket hoods and retrieving warmer clothes out of their luggage. Very little adjustment even after flight attendants were made aware.

That said, we will continue longer flights for several years (mid 70s now) but those lie flat seats are calling us. We usually fly with free miles and first/business class requirements are quite high.

Flying is such a hassle now but we would like to return to Europe at least one or two more times as we usually go every other year. The other place of interest is Australia/New Zealand and we would need to have lie flat seats for sure or possibly cruise one way. We have already been to Hawaii several times and will not fly there again. But maybe Tahiti . . .
Just out of curiosity, could you tell us what airline that was that had you freezing?

I have flown many airlines across the pond, and the best by far, in every respect was Air France. In addition to the clean plane, good food and good service, the temperature of the plane was perfect. On the warm side but not too hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 10:24 PM

986 posts, read 541,787 times
I assume it will be around the same time my son takes away the keys to my car and all of my motorcycles.

Old 10-21-2023, 03:28 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Forget Economy on long flights. I saved money all my life and will only take business class for long haul flights. Had a 12 hour from Toronto to Japan and business class had seats that converted to beds. Enjoyed the flight over and slept the whole way back. Even certain airlines have a much improved Premium Economy that we used going over to Europe and Southeast Asia.

However, over the decades travel by air has declined in quality with scheduling and on the ground conditions in airports. We are enjoying our memories and exploring the western hemisphere with perhaps only short flights. In our 70s now.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:20 AM

1,291 posts, read 176,870 times
Everyone is different as to their ability to withstand the torture of long flights. My DH is 75 but a fit 75. I'm in my 60s. A couple of years ago he told me he won't do those insane 17+ hour flights anymore. I agreed, as they are just too much on the body. They're mentally hard too. And it took longer and longer to recover after those flights.

To go to Australia now, we fly to Italy and spend a few days there. Then we fly to Singapore for an overnight stopover and chance to explore that lovely city. That flight's about 12 hours. The maximum he will endure. Then onto Australia from there. Same on the way back.

We buy Premium Economy on the those flights. We can't afford Business but PE makes it more bearable for not much more money.

Old 10-21-2023, 11:48 AM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Last year I was offered a chance to upgrade to premium economy for 150 coming back from Europe. They offered it by email a few days before the flight. What a difference the extra room made.

On my last trip I looked at the cost when booking and it was too expensive but if I get offered that deal again I would take it. Luckily in April the plane wasn’t full and I got a entire row to myself both ways so I could lay down to sleep.

Old 10-21-2023, 01:05 PM

10,303 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
At ages 75/65 do not know.
But, we only fly business class or better. Life is too short for cattle car class.
Accurate portrayal, for sure.

My "bucket-list" airplane ride requires a Stearman....

Why? Because THAT'S flyin'!

Old 10-21-2023, 01:20 PM

7,449 posts, read 4,681,624 times

Old 10-21-2023, 04:03 PM

7,789 posts, read 3,803,815 times
Never again will I fly commercial.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:17 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Until I can't.
^Same here! Until I can't...

Just turned 66, I am a solo traveler. I took two International flights this year and adding another in December.

I recently met a man who was 85 that had just gotten back from a solo trip to Italy. I told him I wanted to be him when I grow up!

Old 10-21-2023, 04:21 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,799 times
I exchanged traveling on 8 hr. flights for staying home on 8 hr. Tylenol Arthritis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement