Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 09:09 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't see the word "teacher." Lots of people work with special ed kids that aren't teachers, such as aides.
I think they call the aides "paraprofessionals". They work just as hard as anyone else in the school does. And the kids consider them to be their teachers.

It's good that Op's mom has enjoyed a long, fulfilling career. Hopefully, she'll be able to refocus all of that love, attention and TLC that she gave to her students back onto herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 09:37 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Maybe Mom has a well planned 'secret plan'!

I wouldn't doubt it.
Hope so.

Good luck to mom.

(The intrigue of murder mysteries, and surprise of great escapes). Thought of such deeds while emptying a pail of waste antifreeze last night. What could be done with this? ()
.. - poof, gone.
I was sort of thinking that too. Maybe she's getting ready to strike out on her own.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:47 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I thought the sudden nature of the retirement was odd
The mom doesn't have any retirement plans because she is married to a difficult man who apparently wants to keep her under his thumb. He doesn't sound like a joy to travel with or, really, do anything with. Unless he lightens up this does not bode well for their marriage.

With any luck, her silent plans include having saved up a nice nest egg for herself, and leaving his abusive ass.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I was sort of thinking that too. Maybe she's getting ready to strike out on her own.
I would guess her wisdom and plan is similar to Quiet Quitting. (Emotionally separating from the abuse, and living responsibly, honoring her own emotions, family and responsibilities).

Doubt she is able to physically exit
She knows that.

But she was able to physically separate from a demanding job and employer and clients. That's a huge first step.

Our best wishes for her continued safety and implementation of her plans and desires. Likely.... "Others first", including the undeserving.

She needs strength and good health. (And protection).

Consider that many teachers do not get pensions or SS!

Old 11-01-2023, 10:00 PM

6,785 posts, read 4,227,308 times
When my mom retired I was a little sad. I thought about it and realized it's primarily because it forced me to acknowledge my mom is old now. Which in turn brings up thoughts of her death and also my own aging and mortality. It's thus not just a wrap on one of her life stages, but also in a way one of my own.

That being said, I didn't begrudge her the retirement. I think she was torn herself. On the one hand she would miss her paycheck, on the other hand I don't think she especially loved what she was doing.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:12 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,192,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Let us be kind to the OP. She did not want to include the dirty laundry of her family (the abusive behavior of the father) and ended up writing the first post that was not accurate. [It is, in any case, immaterial as to what kind of school or teacher the mother was.] We have all obfuscated or hidden the truth sometimes in our lives. Let us give the OP the understanding.

The OP has come back and leveled with us. Of course, it’d have been better had she done it at the beginning but I don’t believe serious harm was done in the process.

I, for one, applaud the OP’s concern for the well being of the mother. I am sure that’ll help the mother in taking whatever course she sees fit.
How can anyone give thoughtful advice or opinions with a storyline that starts off one way then bits of dribbled out info is shared after strangling us all along.

It’s not like we know who the poster is that shares dirty laundry.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:19 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Interesting that no one "applauded OP's concern for her mother" until the abusive father story appeared out of nowhere.

Old 11-02-2023, 06:20 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
How can anyone give thoughtful advice or opinions with a storyline that starts off one way then bits of dribbled out info is shared after strangling us all along.

It’s not like we know who the poster is that shares dirty laundry.
Exactly!
Why even bother to post a fake story?? Lead with the real issue and don't string us along....

Old 11-02-2023, 07:16 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I would think, if the father were actually abusive, the mother would keep working as long as possible to have an excuse to get away from him for most of each day, but what do I know? At this point, I'm not sure WHICH is the "fake story." The addition of the abusive father certainly gave the original one more gravitas and improved the responses!

Old 11-02-2023, 10:44 AM

188 posts, read 153,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Indeed. Your original post clearly triggered all the "happy retirees."
LOL! When are you going to accept the fact that most retirees are, in fact, happy to be retired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement