Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 12:14 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times

Advertisements

I'm not particularly a fan of Clint Eastwood or Toby Keith, but I really like this. Good stuff.
"No Letting the Old Man In!"

That's the response the admired nonagenarian actor Clint Eastwood gave to country singer Toby Keith when asked about his secret to staying active and vibrant at his age.

"Every day when I wake up, I don't let the old man in. My secret has been the same since 1959: staying busy. I never let the old man into the house. I've had to drag him out because he was already comfortably settled, bothering me all the time, leaving no space for anything other than nostalgia. You have to stay active, alive, happy, strong, and capable. It's in us, in our intelligence, attitude, and mentality. We are young, regardless of our ID. We must learn to fight to not let the old man in.

That old man awaits us, stationed and tired by the side of the road to discourage us. I don't let the old, critical, hostile, envious spirit in—the one that scrutinizes our past to tie us up with complaints and distant anxieties, or relived traumas and waves of pain.

You have to turn your back on the old murmurer, full of rage and complaints, lacking courage, denying himself that old age can be creative, determined, and full of light and projection.

Aging can be pleasant and even fun if you know how to use your time if you're satisfied with what you've achieved, and if you still maintain enthusiasm," adds Clint Eastwood, a legend with ten Oscar nominations, of which he has won four statues—all after crossing the threshold of sixty. That's called "not letting the old man into the house."
These words resonated so deeply with country singer Toby Keith that they inspired him to compose the song "Don’t Let the Old Man In," dedicated to the legendary actor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2023, 12:19 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Well, in the lines of both, rather hilarious (Clint, The Eiger Sanction) for a singer who did "As Good as I once Was" with the lyrics of "Where your body says, you can't do this boy.....but your pride says, "yes you can!"".

A and B. A: Sing those lines often in the shower, if modified for myself.

B: What's the biggest killer of old men?

Not realizing that they are.

Old 11-11-2023, 12:24 PM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
my brain is always telling me i can do all kinds of stuff .

then my body says your an idiot

Old 11-11-2023, 12:50 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I've always admired Clint Eastwood not just for acting and directing ability but also for his general approach to many things in life beyond the world of film / entertainment. Whatever his recipe for life is, I give him credit for doing more at age 93 than most people many decades younger. I would be satisfied just to reach age 93 and still have my senses and physical mobility.

My way of keeping the old man away is staying active. Today I went for a 38 mile bike ride and felt pretty good even on the last stretch.

Old 11-11-2023, 01:09 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Awesome! I really look forward to keeping the ole lady out by getting active again, once I move in a month. mathjak, yeah I'm hep... my body laughs at me all the time. I'm going to prove her wrong... I think.

Old 11-11-2023, 01:46 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Love this. My brain tells me I'm 23 even though I'm 65. I want to be the healthy and fun grandma and someday great grandma. I agree, keep moving, keep doing things, work at staying strong. And give up all the stupid things that aren't good for your health.

Old 11-11-2023, 01:54 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,530,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I've always admired Clint Eastwood not just for acting and directing ability but also for his general approach to many things in life beyond the world of film / entertainment. Whatever his recipe for life is, I give him credit for doing more at age 93 than most people many decades younger. I would be satisfied just to reach age 93 and still have my senses and physical mobility.

My way of keeping the old man away is staying active. Today I went for a 38 mile bike ride and felt pretty good even on the last stretch.
Clint is a great guy - eight children by six different women! Trying to keep the world populated.

Old 11-11-2023, 02:17 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
My mom aged well despite having 4 different types of cancer. She kept active and positive and I plan on doing the same. No clue why she was so unlucky in the health department because she ate very clean and careful.

Old 11-11-2023, 02:24 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Default I say this to my husband

My husband and I saw Clint being interviewed by someone and they asked him -
"You are 91" - "Why do you keep working?" Same answer - "I don't want to let the old man in"

Well, about 1 year ago (maybe a bit more), my husband had wanted a recliner chair. I was against this since I knew he'd watch more TV and could doze off.

I got him the chair. We made a deal. He said if he's ever doing something like falling asleep or watching too much TV, remind him of what Clint said.

So, I do that.

I basically tell him "Hey XXX, Clint just called. Do you want to know what he said?"

We do laugh about it.

Old 11-11-2023, 02:36 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
No surprise that a person who's been a multi-disciplinary, creative dynamo for his entire life chooses to stay that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement