Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 02:46 PM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times

Advertisements

Nah, Clint was just blessed with incredible genes. Staying active, working and having a good attitude may help a smidge but it's really a lot of luck. His motto is a good way to live one's life of course.

But I have to say plenty of people do all the things he has done but aren't blessed with his great genes and good luck. Clint lives a charmed existence for sure....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2023, 03:06 PM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my brain is always telling me i can do all kinds of stuff .

then my body says your an idiot
Don't worry mathjak; those cute 20-something women at the gym you've been trying to impress understand 'cause they have grandpas.

Old 11-11-2023, 03:15 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I've always admired Clint Eastwood not just for acting and directing ability but also for his general approach to many things in life beyond the world of film / entertainment. Whatever his recipe for life is, I give him credit for doing more at age 93 than most people many decades younger. I would be satisfied just to reach age 93 and still have my senses and physical mobility.

My way of keeping the old man away is staying active. Today I went for a 38 mile bike ride and felt pretty good even on the last stretch.

Congrats!

I used to to ride 18-20 miles but not any longer. The energy required is just not there. However, I'm still riding when I can and walking my dog so not entirely sedentary.

Old 11-11-2023, 04:32 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
It works, No letting the old man in, by never looking at an 82-year-old man in a mirror.

Old 11-11-2023, 04:53 PM

2,045 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

Well, about 1 year ago (maybe a bit more), my husband had wanted a recliner chair. I was against this since I knew he'd watch more TV and could doze off.

I got him the chair. We made a deal. He said if he's ever doing something like falling asleep or watching too much TV, remind him of what Clint said.

So, I do that.

I basically tell him "Hey XXX, Clint just called. Do you want to know what he said?"

We do laugh about it.
Otherwise known as a "given up chair". Good for you for bringing some humor into it.

I knew a man in his 70s and that's all he did from morning to night...plop his butt into that recliner and fire up Netflix for the day's entertainment. Often his wife found him snoring there late in the evening and just left him there for the night. He was totally mobile and could have been doing anything but sitting in that damn chair. He's already dead, in my opinion.

Old 11-11-2023, 04:55 PM

599 posts, read 276,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my brain is always telling me i can do all kinds of stuff .

then my body says your an idiot
Several lines from "As Good As I Once Was", another Toby Keith song, sums it up -

I still hang out with my best friend Dave
I've known him since we were kids at school
Last night he had a few shots, got in a tight spot
Hustlin' a game of pool
With a couple of redneck boys
One great big fat biker man
I heard David yell across the room
"Hey buddy, how 'bout a helpin' hand"
I said "Dave..."

I ain't as good as I once was
My how the years have flown
But there was a time, back in my prime
When I could really hold my own
If you want to fight tonight
Guess them boys don't look all that tough
I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once
As I ever was

I used to be hell on wheels
Back when I was a younger man
Now my body says "You can't do this boy"
But my pride says "Oh yes, you can"

Father time is relentless

Old 11-11-2023, 05:07 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Nah, Clint was just blessed with incredible genes. Staying active, working and having a good attitude may help a smidge but it's really a lot of luck. His motto is a good way to live one's life of course.

But I have to say plenty of people do all the things he has done but aren't blessed with his great genes and good luck. Clint lives a charmed existence for sure....
and he has plenty of money to have others do manual labor for him. And take care of him??

Old 11-11-2023, 05:43 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Yes, it's not difficult to have bundles of energy if all you have to do is get up and get dressed!! You know that's how these people live Everything is done for them. Everything. I do think there are people with more energy than others. Clearly Eastwood has a lot of energy. My dad walked 2 miles a day until he was 94. He still drove a car. Some people are just blessed in various ways, including good genes.

Old 11-11-2023, 07:10 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Clint is a great guy - eight children by six different women! Trying to keep the world populated.
Yeah, that’s what I DON’T admire about him. Ugh. He did not raise most of those children, he was more like a sperm donor. That’s nothing to aspire to.

Old 11-11-2023, 07:17 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I agree. Eight children, six different women, only two marriages.

I would say more, but I'll get in trouble.

I will say this: It's one more example of: "These people are not like us!"

And what does "...eight known children by six women, only half of whom were contemporaneously acknowledged" mean?

I'm still impressed by his attitude toward aging but damn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement