Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 06:09 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,210,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
So can we differentiate between letting the old person in and letting the lazy person in? When I retired, I took a long, long sigh of happiness - lazy days, here I come. I still get up in the morning (very late morning!), get dressed right away, do my little errands and routines, meet friends for lunch, do two rounds of exercise on the various machines in the garage. But all day I’m mentally checking off all these things on the to do list, just waiting for that moment when everything that should be done is done, nothing more is needed or expected of me that day, and I can crawl into the recliner or bed with a book, a blanket and a diet soda. I turn my music on shuffle, turn down the lights and up the fake candles, and just bliss out with sheer, undiluted, cozy as all get out laziness. Nothing to do with old age, this time of day was always welcome at any age, there was just so much less lazy time available in younger years.

Lazy person, I’ll let you in anytime. Insert grin emoji.

I think there is far too much pressure on retirees to prove they are not “old” and should dedicate their lives to being gym rats or proving their continued relevance . Well I am old and it’s slowed me down , especially after my hiking fall DRAT! But yep, I like your daily routine. Ours is up at 7 and usually hike or walk ( when I’m healed) , then a coffee shop to read, chat and catch up with daily news, errands, home and then art for a couple hours, floor exercises to keep my back in shape, and then dinner and it’s the couch and a movie.

Sundays it’s joyful mayhem with 3 young grandchildren over for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2023, 08:12 AM

37,652 posts, read 46,067,796 times
I researched the song as soon as the movie came out - I loved it. It kinda made me think of my dad. He was 93 when he finally gave it up. He was still playing golf at 92.

Old 11-13-2023, 08:50 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,033,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I researched the song as soon as the movie came out - I loved it. It kinda made me think of my dad. He was 93 when he finally gave it up. He was still playing golf at 92.
Which song are you talking about? One of Mr. Keith's? What title? The one of this post.....or "As good as I once was"?

As far as Mr. Keith goes, there are 3 songs of his I like. "A little too late", "Let's talk about ME!", and "As good as I once was". "How do you like me now" never hit me on a terrific note despite the fact that knowing about all 4 songs came from the same source....watching videos on CMT........long, long ago. Actually, "A little too late," for me, is more about the video and her, once she is untied from the chair. That thigh thump to the turn table is an inspiration for a belly dance move.........

..........which leads to another front. I dance, here and there with no thanks to the pandemic, I scuba dive, I run the chuck wagon, I am a photographer, a cat mom, a pet rescuer, a cowgirl. Not being active doesn't really occur to me but it is not directly tied in with age but rather, just the way I am. Nutshell of it, I'm too busy to think about stopping.

So where does the thought come from that it is time to stop?

It is not a point of stopping but there is knowing that I can't do what I once did. Afterall, doing splits after age 50 is not the wisest of notions.

Old 11-13-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Which song are you talking about? One of Mr. Keith's? What title? The one of this post.....or "As good as I once was"?
I was referring to the song of the post title, which is the one in the Clint Eastwood movie (as stated earlier, the title came from Clint). Song name is "Don't Let The Old Man In". Perhaps you have not seen the movie and was not familiar with it. I just had to comment as this was one of those songs that really grabbed me when I first heard it ( which was when I saw the movie) so I researched the hell out of it. I tend to do that as a music junkie.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 11-13-2023 at 09:18 AM..

Old 11-13-2023, 10:36 AM

7,668 posts, read 3,295,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Both professional & personal . Btw, all my relationships that got to the point of examining this question were long-term, and although I like tall boys as much as anyone, all my boyfriends were actually on the shorter side (I myself somehow leave an impression of a small person, though 5'4" is not extremely short for a woman, so maybe they figured when they saw me, "oh-la-la here's something in my size"? :-), but I think they were all really handsome. The last, late great, boyfriend was the tallest at 5'10". Other measurements we won't mention, but if all the boyfriends were on a shorter side, and I know with certainty there is no correlation with that other dimension, then you can figure it out (I do have to tell a very private story (thank goodness for anonymity of this forum :-) about the boyfriend who was 5'5". Me: Oh my, that guy is bigger than you; aren't you worried he might attack you some day? He: Eleanor, that's not funny at all).

I don't have a particular type, except that I have a real thing for long hair on a guy. Even the late great boyfriend (who was a commercial pilot) managed to sneak an element of it under the hat (the bangs, and a bit longer in the back on his neck). But he flew for an European airline; I guess maybe they were somewhat more tolerant of that? :-) Anyway, a guy with at least somewhat longish hair still gets my instant attention, although I no longer have an interest in going anywhere further than noticing him :-).
I know what you mean about hair; but, I also like a very clean cut look (like Marine cut). A long hair guy caught my eye at the grocery store a couple weeks ago. Someone had picked over the organic carrots. He had an entire small basket full of organic carrots. He must have been 6'3" too. He really stood out in a crowd with his carrots, long hair and tallness. I guess he noticed me observing him and turned around and faced me staring me down at the checkout stands. I got the feeling he was maybe from NY and I imagined my Psycho Ex (and immediately averted my eyes downward on full ignore). It was kind of scary as I did not expect that. LOL.

I guess I ended up with mostly 6ish feet (my ex-husband was 6 feet). I'm 5'3" and jealous of your 5'4". I always wanted to be 5'6".

Old 11-13-2023, 12:22 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,469,079 times
When I don't want to let the old man in, I groove to, Who Let The Dogs Out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkuu0Lwb5EM

Old 11-13-2023, 02:49 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,373,524 times
A lot of this is going to be lifestyle-based and dependent upon the individual.

I used to party a good bit with my uncle, and some of his friends and neighbors. All of these guys are mid-60s to 70 or so now. None of them seem like "old men" to me.

Three of them are really avid golfers and socialites. They're always out and about. One works part-time, the others still work full-time in careers they enjoy. None of them seem to need the money.

My uncle splits time between here and The Phillippines, and has been seeing a woman a couple decades younger than him over there for a few years now. He's hoping to marry her and bring her with him to the US this fall.

They're a big contrast between my mom and aunt. My aunt is 62, my mom is 66, but they both seem like "little old ladies."

Old 11-14-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of this is going to be lifestyle-based and dependent upon the individual.

I used to party a good bit with my uncle, and some of his friends and neighbors. All of these guys are mid-60s to 70 or so now. None of them seem like "old men" to me.

Three of them are really avid golfers and socialites. They're always out and about. One works part-time, the others still work full-time in careers they enjoy. None of them seem to need the money.

My uncle splits time between here and The Phillippines, and has been seeing a woman a couple decades younger than him over there for a few years now. He's hoping to marry her and bring her with him to the US this fall.

They're a big contrast between my mom and aunt. My aunt is 62, my mom is 66, but they both seem like "little old ladies."
Dear Lord! In their 60s? Yikes!

Old 11-14-2023, 11:55 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,921,266 times
And by contrast, I'm 72 and people think I'm in my fifties. It's all about dress, hairstyle, energy attitude, lifestyle, etc. I've seen some women in their 80s' that look like they are in their early 60's. I've seen some centenarians (like my father) who look 20 years younger. I've seen some women 15 years younger than I am who look 10-15 years older. Health, lifestyle, state of mind has a lot to do with it. I'm not "letting the old lady in", no way no how. I almost did (almost gave up) but I'm getting out of my rut and going traveling (domestically) to see things I haven't yet seen.Staying active, eating right, trying new things.

It's ok if people don't want to do that. That's their choice and I do think some people are comfortable with that. I wish for those who feel trapped and like giving up to find a new attitude and energy if that's what they truly want.

Old 11-14-2023, 12:34 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,291,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
And by contrast, I'm 72 and people think I'm in my fifties. It's all about dress, hairstyle, energy attitude, lifestyle, etc. I've seen some women in their 80s' that look like they are in their early 60's. I've seen some centenarians (like my father) who look 20 years younger. I've seen some women 15 years younger than I am who look 10-15 years older. Health, lifestyle, state of mind has a lot to do with it. I'm not "letting the old lady in", no way no how. I almost did (almost gave up) but I'm getting out of my rut and going traveling (domestically) to see things I haven't yet seen.Staying active, eating right, trying new things.

It's ok if people don't want to do that. That's their choice and I do think some people are comfortable with that. I wish for those who feel trapped and like giving up to find a new attitude and energy if that's what they truly want.
yes - I don't want to do any of that.

I am okay with how I am now. Old gray haired lady.

I was lucky that I basically went all over the states and parts of the world while in the Air Force, so traveling here and there has no appeal. Probably too over developed now. Only place I did not go to that I find interesting is Antarctica.

I will gladly sit here in my recliner -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement