Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2023, 01:37 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

About to head out from my wilderness district (in lower case, so not a proper noun ) to go do some window shopping in another city.....about an hour away.

As we get older, does a distance make more of an impact on us? Does that limit how far we are willing to drive, especially since we have less time infront of us than we do behind us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 02:05 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
For curiosity's sake - Texas permits new single family home residential construction in a dedicated wilderness district?
All of Texas falls into one or another "wildlife district".
That's how Texas Parks and Wildlife manage them.
They aren't Federal...those are different.

I used to live in the "Post Oak Savannah" district.
I lived off a FM that was 70mph..it was a truck route.

I imagine poster lives in the Hill Country district.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/habitats/

Old 12-09-2023, 02:58 PM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
All of Texas falls into one or another "wildlife district".
That's how Texas Parks and Wildlife manage them.
They aren't Federal...those are different.

I used to live in the "Post Oak Savannah" district.
I lived off a FM that was 70mph..it was a truck route.

I imagine poster lives in the Hill Country district.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/habitats/
Thank you.

Old 12-09-2023, 03:58 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm so happy she found you.
So was I. Others might have chuckled at her for her ninnyhammer ways but so far she's been the most loving, funny, charming, overall best dog I've ever had.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-09-2023 at 05:01 PM..

Old 12-09-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
About to head out from my wilderness district (in lower case, so not a proper noun ) to go do some window shopping in another city.....about an hour away.

As we get older, does a distance make more of an impact on us? Does that limit how far we are willing to drive, especially since we have less time infront of us than we do behind us?
I've found that the less I exercise the comfort envelope regarding things I USED to do (such as driving longer distances on perfectly functional roads in a perfectly functional car), the more it undermines the trust I have in my own abilities. Sometimes a little bit of discomfort is necessary to remind you what you can actually deal with. Fears can be insidious and creep up on you. If you don't check in with yourself over little worries, your world can shrink down smaller and smaller until you suspect everything outside your own front door is a threat. Not a good way to live out your days IMHO. I watched a parent do this. He transformed from an intelligent, confident and experienced person into a paranoid secretive recluse. Very, very sad and so unnecessary.

I don't particularly care that more time lies behind me instead of in front. What matters is the present. I've never been an adrenalin junky or a daredevil per se, but I do try to check in with myself before dismissing everyday routine activities as risky. What exactly am I saving all that time up for anyway? Wrapping myself up in protective cotton wool doesn't save me for anything either.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-09-2023 at 05:27 PM..

Old 12-09-2023, 04:23 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've found that the less I exercise the comfort envelope regarding things I USED to do (such as driving longer distances on perfectly functional roads in a perfectly functional car), the more it undermines the trust I have in my own abilities. Sometimes a little bit of discomfort is necessary to remind you what you can actually deal with. Fear can be insidious and creep up on you. If you don't check in with yourself over little worries, your world can shrink down smaller and smaller until you suspect everything outside your own front door is a threat.

I think this is so profound that it bears repeating. It is easy to fall down the path of fear, fear of others, fear of our own abilities, fear of that which we are not familiar with, among others.

You can find yourself in that tiny envelope, and not experiencing life.

Such a good reminder.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-09-2023, 04:32 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've found that the less I exercise the comfort envelope regarding things I USED to do (such as driving longer distances on perfectly functional roads in a perfectly functional car), the more it undermines the trust I have in my own abilities. Sometimes a little bit of discomfort is necessary to remind you what you can actually deal with. Fear can be insidious and creep up on you. If you don't check in with yourself over little worries, your world can shrink down smaller and smaller until you suspect everything outside your own front door is a threat. Not a good way to live out your days IMHO. I watched a parent do this. He transformed from an intelligent, confident and experienced person into a paranoid secretive recluse. Very, very sad and so unnecessary.

I don't particularly care that more time lies behind of me instead of in front. What matters is the present. I've never been an adrenalin junky or a daredevil per se, but I do check in with myself before dismissing everyday routine activities as risky. What exactly am I saving all that time for anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think this is so profound that it bears repeating. It is easy to fall down the path of fear, fear of others, fear of our own abilities, fear of that which we are not familiar with, among others.

You can find yourself in that tiny envelope, and not experiencing life.

Such a good reminder.
I agree. Good posts, both of you.

Old 12-09-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Further, I am not one to further light pollution in the country by driving with my high beams on.
Utter baloney. And that's a comment from a person who is proactive about reducing light pollution. Using a car's high beams appropriately does provide other "environmental" benefits. Did it ever occur to you that wildlife that frequents roadsides learns to judge approaching vehicle distances using headlights as well vehicle noise? In an area where high beams are being used by other motorists, you are misleading that wildlife (not to mention other motorists) into thinking you are farther away than you are. That can set both of you up for a collision. Even if you are moving slower because you can't see far enough ahead to brake and avoid a hazard, a low speed collision still causes injuries to the creature, leaving them in pain and vulnerable! Sounds like being the local outlier in your driving habits is creating unnecessary hazards for yourself as well as everything else. You won't be able to see approaching hazards until they're much closer to your car. Those distances are short enough even with high beams.

Remember, it isn't just the brightness of your high beams that makes the difference in visibility, it's also the angle and spread of their projected light...like to the road shoulder precisely where some of those potential hazards lurk. Haven't you ever compared the overall visible fields of low and high beams before?

This may be of interest: A few recent studies about deer/vehicle collisions suggests that adding a low candlepower light bar to the front of a car helps reduce collisions compared to 2 regular headlights alone. If you don't like using the high beams your car came equipped with, try flipping on the fogs and/or add an LED light bar to the front bumper or low on the front grille. You see them on cars of people who drive long distances up here fairly often because of moose.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-09-2023 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-09-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We have deer and bear, but the real issue is moose.

Moose fur absorbs light. So even when your headlights are directly on a moose, all you can see is a dark shadow. You can light up the pavement and the trees on both sides, but the moose itself will only ever be a dark shadow.
Not only that, but a moose's eyes are located higher off the road than the light beam of most headlights so they don't pick up nearly as much eyeshine. Their eyes are also comparatively smaller and deep set compared to other roadside critters.

Old 12-09-2023, 05:31 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
As we get older, it's probably more about being able to SEE "in front of us." Obviously as we age, we're more likely to develop health problems that limit how far, how often, when, or even if we can drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement