Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2023, 06:21 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,590,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
And yet-
"We've done a terrible job taking care of the bottom 30 percent of earners. So, y'all are wealthy and have money and stuff like that, but their average wages are $17 to 20 a year. They're the ones who lost their job in CoVid, they are the ones whose health...they're dying 5-6 years younger than us, they're the ones who don't have medical insurance. They are the ones whose schools don't work and they are the ones dealing with crime. What the Hell have we done as a nation?!"... Jamie Dimon, JP Morgan CEO
Perhaps wealthy and comfortable retirees should shut up, count their blessings and be grateful that their benefits have not been reduced. Yet.
Pardon me ma'am, but your pen1$ envy is showing. If you are not a "comfortable retiree", I'm guessing that it's your fault, not mine.

And I do count my blessing every day, but I'm not the one that needs to "shut up".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 08:40 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,027,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Pardon me ma'am, but your pen1$ envy is showing. If you are not a "comfortable retiree", I'm guessing that it's your fault, not mine.

And I do count my blessing every day, but I'm not the one that needs to "shut up".....
Dude, "Penis envy"? Why the heck would I want a penis? I care about people. Always have, always will. I was a nurse and, later, a public interest attorney. My favorite quotes:
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why they have no food, they call me a Communist. ~ Archbishop Helder Camara

There is a loftier ambition than merely to stand high in the world. It is to stoop down and lift mankind a little higher. ~ Henry Van Dyke

Old 12-23-2023, 09:26 PM

7,159 posts, read 4,562,630 times
Quote:
Dude, "Penis envy"? Why the heck would I want a penis? I care about people. Always have, always will. I was a nurse and, later, a public interest attorney. My favorite quotes:
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why they have no food, they call me a Communist. ~ Archbishop Helder Camara

There is a loftier ambition than merely to stand high in the world. It is to stoop down and lift mankind a little higher. ~ Henry Van Dyke
Lenora, what some people don’t understand is that you can have empathy for people less fortunate and want them helped and still be a comfortable or wealthy person. They are not mutually exclusive. However, you are likely wasting your time on some of the posters on this thread. My biggest concern is for the younger generations as the middle class is disappearing.

Last edited by Teacher Terry; 12-23-2023 at 09:40 PM..

Old 12-23-2023, 09:30 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,590,876 times
Quote:

lol - as long as you're telling others to shut up, etc, you are lying if you say you care about people. And the penis envy comment is self evident.

Your posts say more about you than those lofty quotes you use. Just sayin'

But carry on.

Old 12-24-2023, 06:38 AM

30,411 posts, read 19,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I was curious why you pay so much, but then I found this link that explains it (bold added). https://www.rrb.gov/Newsroom/NewsRel...%20of%20%24226.

Wow --
We sold a house that had grown significantly in value and we will sell two more in January so we'll continue paying ginormous Medicare Part B for years.

Old 12-24-2023, 06:40 AM

106,759 posts, read 108,973,015 times
best way to plan is try to do selling before medicare age .

we only lucked out becuse the year they were counting towards medicare we were not retired yet or on medicare so they reversed it on appeal

Old 12-24-2023, 10:31 AM

7,027 posts, read 4,905,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
$97 for spices? I guess that's a clue.
See, this is what I mean. I would run out of food stamps every month, so I made the decision to learn to cook. I had no idea what spices I would need. So I thought I would get as many as I could. Spices are expensive and I wasn't in a position to toss food if I didn't like it. I wanted to make sure I liked and ate what I made. For that, you're putting me down.

But, if I had decided to not learn to cook and instead kept getting food stamps and running out of them and having to go to the food bank, you'd be putting me down for that, too.

Sometimes I don't know what you people want. Maybe you want the poor to do a dog and pony show for you so we can prove how useful we are and you can prove how generous you are when you throw some pennies at us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
LOL, I think the only spices in the cupboard in my house growing up was salt and pepper. Somehow we made it through
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my mom had a huge heart issue ..we didn’t even have salt
I wanted to learn to cook well and I wanted more than salt and pepper. Well, salt, anyway. I don't like pepper and I don't have it in my cupboard today.

Incidentally, learning to cook and plan meals brought me from running out of food stamps at the end of the month to actually not having to go shopping until the middle of the next month because I had enough food to last until then. Cooking saved me a ton of money and even if you guys think the spices were excessive, it was well worth it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I don’t remember the last time I saw somebody whine so much about being on the receiving end of so much free stuff. Taxpayers are providing for you, and you’re complaining about it. It’s not hard to see why your life has been the way that it has.
What free stuff? I never got a free phone. As soon as I got my back pay from disability I moved out of low income housing. I am now only receiving $23 a month of food stamps and I've often thought about cancelling them, but I've been told to hang on to them for a little longer. The fact that I don't have to pay for Medicare is because of my low social security. You could get a waiver to not have to pay for social security, too. All you have to do is is cut your income waaay down.

You know, you people complain so much about people like me being funded by the taxpayers - dude, what do you think I did for more than 35 years? I worked and paid taxes. My taxes supported YOU! They paid for the infrastructure you drive on. They paid for your kids' free school. And since I don't have kids, it's really galling to me that people like you can have kids and not have to pay for them, relying on MY money to educate them.

But what really gets me is that people like you moan and groan about all the "freebies" poor people get. You're not exempt from the freebies. If you want them so bad, get rid of your money and you can have them, too.

I keep offering to trade places with you guys so you can enjoy all the freebies I supposedly get. But I guess the freebies aren't that great after all, because none of you seems to want to do that.

Quote:

Why would I do such a silly thing? I have made good decisions throughout the entirety of my life specifically so that I wouldn’t have to do such a thing.
Why wouldn't you do that? You're the one being a snit about food stamps, acting like you could do it so much better. Here's your chance to prove it. Or are you afraid you can't make it on just food stamps?

Quote:

We have been “putting up.” I have not only made the decisions that have kept me out of poverty, I’ve also spent the majority of my career teaching people about money and how it works, with the ultimate goal of improving their lives. moguldreamer and others have discussed their personal situations about not only what they have done for themselves, but what they have done for others. On the other hand, you live a parasitic existence, and whine and complain that it can be challenging to get all of your taxpayer funded goodies.

The Doers already do. And continue to do so day after day. And in a similar manner, the Takers continue to take - day after day. . .
What people like you don't realize is you can come down just as fast as you go up and all the good decisions in the world won't save you. You can do everything right and still fail. That's a lesson you haven't learned yet.

All if might take is one medical emergency, one natural disaster, or one job loss to pull you down and have you eating dirt. I've seen it happen. It's not pretty. And it sure makes a person humble in a big hurry.

As for a parasitic existence, I left home at barely 17, went back to high school full time and worked full time to support myself. I worked full time and went to community college full time while I was homeless. I bought my land with my disability money and lived on it without indoor running water, heat for only two hours a day, and no plumbing for a couple years. Somehow, I highly doubt if THAT were what it took to get you a nice house, you would opt to do that.

I now have a decent place to live on my own land, paid up (how much is your mortgage?), with septic, electric, and water. And on barely $20,000 a year in Social Security, I am looking forward to saving maybe $8000 every year. Why do you think I'd like to give up those food stamps?

So let's see you live on $12,000 a year. You couldn't do it. And you'll never be able to prove you can do it. I have. And I don't think you could live on $265 a month on food stamps, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
In my household as a kid, with my mom working to support us doing manual labor, she never made it a question if my sister and I would go to college. It was ingrained in us that we would continue education after high school. We both worked part time and commuted to university. In return, we were allowed to live at home without paying rent. We both graduated with bachelor degrees, my sister becoming an engineer.
What decade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
What, pray tell, in your view is "put up?"
Just what I said. Use $265 a month ONLY for all your food needs. Tell us how you'd do it. What you'd buy, how much it cost. It's called the food stamp test and so far, every celebrity that's tried it has failed at it.

Look at it as a challenge. If you succeed, then when people tell you that you don't know what it's like to live on food stamps, you can come right back and tell them, you sure do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I've been training my autistic older brother to live on food stamps for several months now, after he recuperated from open heart surgery. This is the first time he's lived on his own, and I'm coaching him every day on how to budget for food and how to budget for personal items (e.g., razor blades to shave & dental floss).

So far, I'm doing pretty good at stocking the refrigerator & pantry on food stamps for several months in a row.
That's close, but not exactly the same as doing it for yourself. When you yourself want a snack or or something besides hamburger to eat, you're not denying yourself that food because there's no money on your EBT card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post

People who count their blessings every day the way you just did isn't called counting their blessings. It's called rubbing it in the noses of people who have less than you. For shame.

Old 12-24-2023, 10:41 AM

7,027 posts, read 4,905,036 times
First story I saw today.

The Other Side of Greenwich: Hunger Among the Hedge Funds

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/other...110010687.html

"Restrepo is one of the thousands of people living in Greenwich today who face food insecurity. Between stubborn inflation and nosebleed-high rents, they’re struggling to afford food, and in some cases don’t know where their next meal will come from.

And the problem is getting worse — not only here, but across the US.

The numbers are startling. Nationwide, food insecurity rose in 2022 for the first time in a decade. As savings dwindled among the poorest and grocery prices continued to rise this year, about 28 million adults had “sometimes or not often” enough to eat in the past week, according recent household surveys from the Census Bureau. That represented 12.5% of the total, up from 11.4% a year earlier."

The woman is staying here to give her daughter a good education at a good school. After all I've read about mothers here wanting the same for their kids, let's not run this woman down for wanting the same.

And if you have enough to eat this holiday, be grateful.

Old 12-24-2023, 10:50 AM

106,759 posts, read 108,973,015 times
the question i have is what the heck is someone like that doing living in one of the most costliest places in the country .

not only is greenwich akin to its neighbor westchester but it is one of the most expensive towns in CT .

the dividing line between greenwich and ryebrook ny is in front of my sons house .

my son picked the new york side because of the school district .

my daughter in law runs the tax dept for a famous hedge fund in greenwich and her boss lives there and he has billions

the new york side has much higher taxes then greenwich but homes are a bit cheaper ..but both are equally in some of the most costliest places to live in the country.

to adequately afford that areas can take multiple six figure incomes .

most lower end workers live in nearby port chester . so these low end workers in greenwich are making a poor decision to be there

even on our income i would never consider trying to afford either greenwich or ryebrook on the ny side

Old 12-24-2023, 11:19 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the question i have is what the heck is someone like that doing living in one of the most costliest places in the country .

not only is greenwich akin to its neighbor westchester but it is one of the most expensive towns in CT .

the dividing line between greenwich and ryebrook ny is in front of my sons house .

my son picked the new york side because of the school district .

my daughter in law runs the tax dept for a famous hedge fund in greenwich and her boss lives there and he has billions

the new york side has much higher taxes then greenwich but homes are a bit cheaper ..but both are equally in some of the most costliest places to live in the country.

to adequately afford that areas can take multiple six figure incomes .

most lower end workers live in nearby port chester . so these low end workers in greenwich are making a poor decision to be there

even on our income i would never consider trying to afford either greenwich or ryebrook on the ny side
The answer is right there in the stoty, MJ:

Quote:
Restrepo knows she could move to a cheaper town, but that would make her commute to work longer. She also stays for the public schools, some of the country’s best. Plus, if she leaves, she would lose access to the local food bank and other services, which are only available to Greenwich residents.
Plus her rent in Greenwich is only $1850, which is pretty amazing. There are few places that cheap anymore in the NYC metro. Even the 1960s garden apartments in my town go for $1600+ now.

I give her credit. She is raising her kid in a good town with good schools rather than in the ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement