Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2023, 07:26 PM

4,297 posts, read 5,968,189 times

Advertisements

That is quite the assumption that your children will look after you in your twilight years. All, or nearly all, of oir retired friends with 40-ish children express no such delusional hope. zin fact, msny of these mid-career professionsls are looking toward their parents as cash cows to fund the younger generation's retirements!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 08:31 PM

23,918 posts, read 33,748,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's a VA facility? What's the name of it? I'm only aware of the large VA facility in Vineland.

I just looked on google. Looks like Vineland is the one. I could have sworn it was on Tuckahoe road.

I don't go down that way that often.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:00 PM

14,289 posts, read 14,856,277 times
Let me describe the type facility I am looking for. My own 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit, full kitchen apartment. Services offered such as a dining room with an optional/flexible meal schedule. Unit cleaning and bedding change every two weeks. No stairs. Ability to use an electric scooter.

Any suggestions in the Columbia SC area?

Old 12-29-2023, 03:15 AM

8,426 posts, read 4,463,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If you got money..............somebody will be there!

I had a neighbor in her 80s who recently moved. She was widowed, her 2 sons have died, her sole heir was a grandson who died last year so she ended up in the same situation. She moved about 2 hours away to be near some friends
I don't think these kids in my extended family (who will be aged between 31 and 40 if I need their fairly minor help 30 years from now) will need my money. It just remains to be seen whether they'll like to travel & whether they'll find it interesting (rather than burdening) to be involved with a minor responsibility in a far-away country.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:32 AM

4,179 posts, read 3,112,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
That is quite the assumption that your children will look after you in your twilight years. All, or nearly all, of oir retired friends with 40-ish children express no such delusional hope. zin fact, msny of these mid-career professionsls are looking toward their parents as cash cows to fund the younger generation's retirements!
Agree. Plus many of these children who grew up in the Salt Belt have moved to the South. Quitting their jobs and moving back to take care of their parents is not an option. It would be their parents who would have to move to be with their children.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:43 AM

4,151 posts, read 3,925,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
That is quite the assumption that your children will look after you in your twilight years. All, or nearly all, of oir retired friends with 40-ish children express no such delusional hope. zin fact, many of these mid-career professionsls are looking toward their parents as cash cows to fund the younger generation's retirements!
Exactly!

Old 12-29-2023, 06:54 AM

4,151 posts, read 3,925,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
As best as I can figure, it's a 5 letter word beginning with D and ending with O.
So, what is the 5 letter word?

Old 12-29-2023, 07:02 AM

10,955 posts, read 7,499,586 times
Plenty of kids won't take care of their parents. That's what old age homes are for.

Old 12-29-2023, 07:30 AM

My wife and I are so disappointed in the verbalized financial expectations of our kids, rhat we are considering a re-write of our Trust Doc to leave our Estate to our favorite charities. The kids would still receive the death benefit of our Survivorship Life Insurance Policy which is fully paid for. But the rest of the money would do public good.

No more $1K/night hotel rooms or $250 bottles of Dom Perignon from 'our' money. They already did that with the money we provided them to:
• Pay off Student loans, or
• Down payment on a house to escape sky high rents, or
• Kick start their oen retirement accounts

Old 12-29-2023, 07:32 AM

My wife and I are so disappointed in the verbalized financial expectations of our kids, that we are considering a re-write of our Trust Doc to leave our Estate to our favorite charities. The kids would still receive the death benefit of a sizeable Survivorship Life Insurance Policy which is fully paid for. But the rest of the money would do public good.

No more $1K/night hotel rooms or $250 bottles of Dom Perignon from 'our' money. They already did that with the money we provided them to:
• Pay off Graduate School Student loans (we paid all of Undergrad), or
• Be a down payment on a house to escape sky high rents, or
• Kick start their own retirement accounts.

We were always open and honest with them regarding our finances. We falsely assumed they would learn good financial habits via assimilation of these discussion topics.

Nope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement