Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 09:49 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times

Advertisements

I've already told my husband and the single woman next door that they would make a very well-matched pair if I were gone. Neither looked interested but I'm sure they could use the tax break since they'd probably help each other anyway.

A cousin and a lovely woman married after they were moved to a care center. I thought it was wonderful for them. They were so happy.

My own cousins were concerned because they felt she wasn't in possession of her full mind.

Both side's children had the marriage annulled. I imagined because there was a great deal of money involved. I don't know if they interfered with the relationship arrangements, but I hope not.

I have been married to the same man for fifty-seven years and am not interested in another marriage. It takes longer than I have time to adjust to that kind of relationship with another human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 10:38 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
I would never marry again, especially at that age. I would consider that to be "me" time and I could do whatever I wanted, and how I wanted. I would probably want someone that I could spend time with, but I would not be interested in a relationship.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:09 AM

11,136 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Personally, I'm only 65 and DH is 69. He's my 2nd husband. I will not ever remarry if he passes first. As some above have stated, I might at some point take on a casual, probably non-sexual date partner, but I'm independent, don't need anyone's help financially, and don't want to be anyone's nurse or purse. I will be DH's helpmate forever, but not for someone new. Other than for companionship, I don't see the point. I'm not religious and marriage complicates things.

My neighbor who's in his 80s lost his wife to years of progressing dementia and they'd been together since high school. He had been seeing a lady in his grief group casually after her passing and they were married awfully soon, like less than 6 months later, but at that age no one has time for a long courtship. We were happy for him after the long decline of his sweetheart. He's very religious, so any overnight dates would require marriage for him, but after meeting his new wife several times and watching their social interactions, I wonder how long he will be happy with his decision. They've both sold their lovely homes and bought a new one together and we still see them at parties. Hopefully they will adjust to each other's style and just live out the rest of their lives happy, but this lady is the exact opposite of his sweet, gentle first wife.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:10 AM

11,136 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I would never marry again, especially at that age. I would consider that to be "me" time and I could do whatever I wanted, and how I wanted. I would probably want someone that I could spend time with, but I would not be interested in a relationship.
Total agreement with this.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:11 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
I've mentioned my grandpa before who got remarried at 94 in the rest home. After 65+ years of marriage. It was on local TV, lol.

My dad's comment was "Maybe now I'll get that sister I always wanted."

Old 01-02-2024, 11:41 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times
I have a Great Uncle who remarried at the age of 89. I don't know whether his new bride was a resident of the same nursing home, but records indicate he and his spouse divorced one year later.

Old 01-02-2024, 12:11 PM

43,132 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Well I'm only 66 so I need another 15 years before I can answer this question.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:23 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
I would never get married again.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:28 PM

239 posts, read 108,042 times
They would be very elderly needing a companion if just for the sake of safety. The commitment of marriage is of upmost importance this late in the game. 50/50 chance of having someone help you preventing you from going into a home (which is what, a 1 in 4 chance?)

It's not a time to be picky. I would absolutely get re-married if possible

Old 01-02-2024, 06:07 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
They would be very elderly needing a companion if just for the sake of safety. The commitment of marriage is of upmost importance this late in the game. 50/50 chance of having someone help you preventing you from going into a home (which is what, a 1 in 4 chance?)

It's not a time to be picky. I would absolutely get re-married if possible
Depends. If one has assets and heirs, definitely time to be picky. Either wise he/she will inherit everything in what could be a very possible short duration. Decades of assets gone to one person who did nothing to help accumulate it. Happens all the time. Sad because one party is too ashamed to upgrade the will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement