Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 08:54 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,667,786 times

Advertisements

No way.

To be blunt, there is not a chance that I would let anybody get their hands on (or want to share) what assets DH and I accrued over the past 50 years. That includes my house, which I would never want anyone else to live in, nor would I sell it or move to another. That has been a huge mistake of some friends who had big regrets. Some also ended up as a caregiver in their elderly years unless they divorced.

In my state, a certain percent of your estate must go to the spouse and I want my children to inherit, not someone I know for just a few years.

Not happening and many women seem to be coming to the same conclusion. However, one recent widow said the only person she would possibly consider was a chef who also loved to cook at home. I guess she has a point there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 10:09 PM

239 posts, read 106,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Depends. If one has assets and heirs, definitely time to be picky. Either wise he/she will inherit everything in what could be a very possible short duration. Decades of assets gone to one person who did nothing to help accumulate it. Happens all the time. Sad because one party is too ashamed to upgrade the will.
Good thinking, thank you. This isn't something which occurred to me since we only have one adult son

If I get re-married:

1. IRA- 100% goes to my husband. I would guess about 100-150K+ left. 100K minimum I would leave him
2. Car- 100% to our son. I will ensure he is listed as the beneficiary on the DMV form
3. At age 80, I'll start renting. I'd sell the house before getting re-married
4. Checking account -100% goes to my son. Proceeds from the home sale would be here and it should be at least 150K.
In California, the husband automatically inherits the house.
Yet maybe I'll change that to 200K...

Not much run-way left for my husband so he doesn't need more than 100K which is $833 per month until he's 90. And you're right, he didn't help accumulate it. I handled my Uncles Estate, it was a real pain. We didn't even go thru Probate. I want to avoid Wills

Last edited by TruckeeTami; 01-02-2024 at 10:23 PM..

Old 01-03-2024, 04:43 AM

880 posts, read 764,489 times
I won’t remarry. I wouldn’t mind having a companion.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:30 AM

8,365 posts, read 4,377,807 times
I have never been married, so the chance of re-marrying would be logically impossible. I have never been interested in marriage, and would not want to live with anyone either. The memory of the last long relationship is too alive (after 11.5, almost 12 years!) to be interested in any new substantial romance, and pretty much everybody compares poorly with the late great boyfriend. I think a very good friendship with frequent communication is the most I could manage. One of my friendships kind of approaches that, but zero romantic feelings on either side. We have both lost the significant other, and have some very similar interests.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:30 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Do people still create pre-nuptial agreements? That would allow each to provide separately in their wills and their wills could include their spouses.

Meanwhile they might enjoy other legal and cultural benefits of marriage.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:49 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
I’d never consider remarriage- not at any age. I like living alone.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:28 AM

587 posts, read 443,403 times
I don't think I would ever remarry if H goes before me. We met 40 years ago this month at a small company we both worked at. I might want a companion if H were gone, but not marriage.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:45 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
They would be very elderly needing a companion if just for the sake of safety. The commitment of marriage is of upmost importance this late in the game. 50/50 chance of having someone help you preventing you from going into a home (which is what, a 1 in 4 chance?)

It's not a time to be picky. I would absolutely get re-married if possible
Why get married? They could just live together with a personal commitment to be there for each other. Legal marriage doesn't actually bind you to care for that person "in sickness and health", in spite of the vows. Anyone could refuse to care for their spouse or get a divorce/annulment.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:50 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
Good thinking, thank you. This isn't something which occurred to me since we only have one adult son

If I get re-married:

1. IRA- 100% goes to my husband. I would guess about 100-150K+ left. 100K minimum I would leave him
2. Car- 100% to our son. I will ensure he is listed as the beneficiary on the DMV form
3. At age 80, I'll start renting. I'd sell the house before getting re-married
4. Checking account -100% goes to my son. Proceeds from the home sale would be here and it should be at least 150K.
In California, the husband automatically inherits the house.
Yet maybe I'll change that to 200K...

Not much run-way left for my husband so he doesn't need more than 100K which is $833 per month until he's 90. And you're right, he didn't help accumulate it. I handled my Uncles Estate, it was a real pain. We didn't even go thru Probate. I want to avoid Wills

With a simple estate as described above, it's easy to avoid probate. Just make sure the person you wish to inherit the house or car is on the title, in the case of a home it should be stated "joint tenants with rights of survivorship". With bank accounts, investment accounts, annuities, or insurance policies just put the intended inheritor as the beneficiary on the account.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:47 AM

239 posts, read 106,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Why get married? They could just live together with a personal commitment to be there for each other. Legal marriage doesn't actually bind you to care for that person "in sickness and health", in spite of the vows. Anyone could refuse to care for their spouse or get a divorce/annulment.
People who truly care for one another, in sickness and in health, generally make that formal vow to one another. They'd be only a roommate/companion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement