Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 04:22 PM

329 posts, read 186,400 times

Advertisements

When I get to be 80, I want to be just like this guy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 05:46 PM

1,827 posts, read 807,625 times
I wrote letters with spouse’s grandma, a cool lady, for many years. She lived in a seniors apartment complex and had a long term boyfriend who had his own apartment in the same building. They hung out together for years. Then I got a letter where she told me that she broke up with him because he was becoming too demanding. She said she had been through that once (with her only husband, who I was told was a real *****), & once was enough.

I guess I feel the same.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:39 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I won’t remarry. I wouldn’t mind having a companion.
This is my 'frame of mind' lately. The longer I'm alone, the more I cherish my independence and freedom. Don't think I would want to give that up for a spouse. Then again, it would be nice to share life, (or parts of it), with someone else.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-03-2024, 07:19 PM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Do people still create pre-nuptial agreements? That would allow each to provide separately in their wills and their wills could include their spouses.

Meanwhile they might enjoy other legal and cultural benefits of marriage.
Yes, people do pre-nups. I fact, that was the plan for my late fiancé and I and the reason we didn't just get married when we decided to. We both had separate assets, income, and adult children and wanted to pass down to our own kids what we came in with. Most of his money had come to him through the sale of property of his late wife's family. That by rights would go to his sons.
And it did, but we never married so we didn't get to the prenup.

But a friend of mine did one after her first divorce, and it was smart, because it made the second divorce easier.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:26 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
I'd sooner hang myself with a new rope!

Old 01-03-2024, 11:27 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
I would need a body transplant first. I will be 90 next month.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:00 AM

12,993 posts, read 9,521,835 times
I'm 76 and my wife is 4 years younger, so I'm assuming she will outlive me. But if not, I'm not sure what I'd do. I'd definitely hire a housekeeping service at the very least. I don't think I'd move though.

Old 01-04-2024, 02:28 PM

273 posts, read 957,538 times
A friend divorced at about 70 after 30+ years of marriage. He and his first wife were professionals. Each made a decent living. They had no kids. They sold a big house. He then updated and paid for a house worth about $750k or more using savings/monies from 1st marriage.

He remarried a few years later to a 2nd wife. She was a recent widow. They were both then about in the early 70s. They'd "met" through an Internet match. She had three adult offspring (none wealthy nor "successful"), a few grandkids, and very little savings. She claimed/believed her ex-husband had wasted their earnings and savings.

After living in the friends refurbished house a few years, the "new" couple sold the house, moved to FL and bought a nice large new house costing less than the one he sold up north, and thus paid for this house fully using his money.

After about 5 years of marriage, she announced she would file for divorce. As we understand it, she'd decided he wasn't the man she'd married. Based on this she and her legal team took nearly half his money, the diamond, and car he'd given her.

She's then moved back up north near her kids. They and her friends and family were pleased. They supported/influenced her return (surprised?). He's now sad, poorer and alone. He's not well mentally, physically, and financially as he approaches 80 living alone in a big new house.

It's a smelly deal....A lesson to consider. Be very careful.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:06 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,810,912 times
Warned too, "Don't be a nurse with a purse !"

Old 01-04-2024, 06:33 PM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
I would never remarry. I might opt for a Friend With No Benefits though. Maybe someone to travel with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement