Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 12:11 PM

18,740 posts, read 33,452,873 times

Advertisements

Have my advance directives on my refrigerator along with dog sitter name and number, lawyer/executor and phone lock number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 12:32 PM

8,891 posts, read 6,922,883 times
Find a good cause, and bequest your estate to them!

Old 02-13-2024, 12:35 PM

37,509 posts, read 61,537,745 times
I am active in the Shrine. Many people leave their estates to the Shriner's Childrens Hospital network.

https://www.shrinerschildrens.org/en/locations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVYWhD1KE5c

https://www.youtube.com/@shrinerschildrens

Old 02-13-2024, 12:41 PM

Would the Shriner's be the executor?

Old 02-13-2024, 12:43 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,217,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Exactly the situation here. My biggest hope is to be spending my last nickel to my name a minute before I hit the floor. There are blood relatives, all right - I haven't seen or heard of them in 30+ years and certainly do not want any of my hard earned dough landing in their lap. Much rather pay money out to contractors remodeling my house, landscapers, etc.

Got me a tatoo. It says "DNR" and its on my chest.

As for executing my will, I plan to hire an "executor" of some sort (still looking for one at this time) who is to take care of the will, and quietly get me cremated and disappeared. He can take whatever he wants for his trouble.
If you don’t relatives to inherit you have to name them all - may give them only a $1 each “for reason known to them” - otherwise there are companies who look for relatives for a percentage and they will inherit legally or they themselves occasionally check if you are still alive so they can file claims?

You should try to spend most of it before you hit 80 - as the majority of people don’t travel much and just content with everyday activities at home.

Depending how much money/assets you have - you may look into annuities, reverse mortgages - but make sure you read the fine print and consult with the financial adviser or CPA who are not involved with the selling of that product to you to give you honest financial pros and cons of each product you may consider.

In other words, you could convert your assets into a generous monthly paycheck - the one which you wouldn’t outlive.

For final expenses - prepay your burial, funeral or cremation and put their number near the front door for first responders.
-Get a Knox box or similar for police or firefighters or both to get into your house in case of emergency

You could leave an amount to your public high school or college or their athletic’s department
Get a life alert service or similar

Old 02-13-2024, 12:47 PM

37,509 posts, read 61,537,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Would the Shriner's be the executor?
When you write your will, you may select anyone to be your executor.

In most cases, I think it is just an issue of your executor writing a check from your estate.

Old 02-13-2024, 12:58 PM

18,225 posts, read 15,771,626 times
Options:

- spend your $$$$

- donate your $$$$ and/or property
- to 1 or more charities
- to 1 or more nonprofit orgs (501c3)
- set up your own nonprofit or foundation and give your money away through that (for very wealthy folks)

- Bequeath your $$$ and/or property
- to people who have helped you in your life
- to people who have been caring and kind to you and/or others
- to children of people you've been fond of, specifically for their education or future education

All other options are variations of the above.

My specific areas of interest for bequeathing $$$$ are:

- animal-related nonprofits
- Funding research to treat/cure canine cancers
- Funding guide dogs for the blind
- Funding animal rescue groups
- Funding wild animal conservation efforts

- human-related nonprofits
- Childhood cancer research, treatments
- Others TBD

Last edited by lottamoxie; 02-13-2024 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-13-2024, 01:33 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,067,895 times
Ideally, fantastically? THE CATS GET IT ALL!

Ideally, realistically? Find someway that my ranch stays as a 10+ acre nature preserve.

Now, will it end up like that as the nature preserve? I doubt it. My heirs will probably be offered some irresistible cash for a developer to come in and turn it into 40 1/4 acre lots, houses squeezed in like sardines, trees and animals be damned.......but that's another story.

I have my cousins, brothers, and nieces to contend with. My cousins I do not worry about for if that of one cousine is any indication, having just bought a quarter of a million dollar car (well, maybe $100K+), they are doing well enough. My Brothers got the same as I did but our expenses and interests are different, so that's something, and who knows how their daughters think.

As what I do with it while I am alive, that is to try to make it the most substainable I can as I can.

Old 02-13-2024, 02:05 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,805,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ideally, realistically? Find someway that my ranch stays as a 10+ acre nature preserve.
Now, will it end up like that as the nature preserve? I doubt it.
You can assure your wishes are honored by leaving it to the entity that will be preserving it, NOT your relatives.
That is how it is done in PA, at least.

For example...
https://waterlandlife.org/land-conse...ing-your-land/

Old 02-13-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

As what I do with it while I am alive, that is to try to make it the most substainable I can as I can.
Can you leave it to the Nature Conservancy or some land preservation group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement