Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2024, 06:37 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That’s important because I have the world’s worst spatial skills. I failed my driving test twice because I can’t parallel park to save my life, and I’m the only person I know who has to call the IKEA helpline to assemble the furniture lol. Because it’s only pictures and it’s confusing to me. I wonder if I’d be able to put it back together properly? That might make me lean even more to a revolver.

I would probably feel better with a safety. To be honest I still feel nervous about having one. No one in my family did that I’m aware of, not even my grandparents. So it seems kind of alien to me. I will be so safety conscious it could affect my readiness, because Dave’s grandson spends the night sometimes.

What kind of safes do you use? Are they hidden?
Chill! You can handle it. The kid will be fine. Include him in a gun safety program - local gun club/NRA.
IKEA must have been invented by an attorney:>)
Take your time! What triggered this decision?
Of course you can put a gun back together. Remember when you had to get the vacuum back in the box to return it?
One step at a time!!! It all depends on what you buy. Revolver - take cylinder out, swab everything down, spray some oil down the barrel. Clean your face at night?
Ruger SP101 comes in 22, 38, 357, 327, 9 mm and 32. Again - talk to locals and post before you buy.
Do not sweat the small stuff and it is all small stuff not a wedding dress you need on Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 06:43 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
That’s important because I have the world’s worst spatial skills. I failed my driving test twice because I can’t parallel park to save my life, and I’m the only person I know who has to call the IKEA helpline to assemble the furniture lol. Because it’s only pictures and it’s confusing to me. I wonder if I’d be able to put it back together properly? That might make me lean even more to a revolver.

I would probably feel better with a safety. To be honest I still feel nervous about having one. No one in my family did that I’m aware of, not even my grandparents. So it seems kind of alien to me. I will be so safety conscious it could affect my readiness, because Dave’s grandson spends the night sometimes.

What kind of safes do you use? Are they hidden?
Well, as we say, don't depend on the safety. It is there for a purpose, it should work, but don't depend your life, another's life on it.

In your particular case, if needed, having someone else clean the gun, is not out of the question. It is for me but once again as said, different worlds.

Big, heavy fire safes; ready lockers; lock boxes. When traveling, the lock box is out and unlocked, ready to be grabbed and fired with one hand. I display my art work, not my firearms.

One thing on being safety conscious. Don't be so safe conscious that it prevents the primary mission, shooting when necessary, from being carried out. Once upon a time, I was getting ready to go to the range. I was going through my manual of arms, of loading one in the barrel, decocking the hammer, drop that magazine, insert a fully loaded one. I gathered my things and headed for the range.

At the range, outside in my car, I started to unload, to enter the range with the action open. I pulled my pistol......and stared at it. One in the barrel but no magazine inserted.

Somewhere in my manual of arms back at the house, something had disturbed my chain of thoughts, being so focused on safety, that the magazine never got inserted. So from there on, I changed the process slightly so confirmation of the loaded magazine was noted, completed.

Finally, of course, if it has not been apparent so far, let me do note......I travel in full ready, a full magazine and one in the barrel, ready to fire. Once again, from the worlds I am trained in but consider this, if one needs their gun, one hand reaching for it while the other is holding off their assailant, what good will the gun do if it can't be pulled and fired one handed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Kimber Ultra Carry comes with 18 pounds of recoil or so. Not a good start for a beginner. Nice gun tough. Please check what you pay for magazines nowadays. I almost got in trouble for greeting a table of shooters with "hello kkk". Kimber Kinder Klub. Every time Kimber came up with something everyone had to have it.
Please name that 22. Thank you.
I wasn't suggesting to use the Kimber but only pointing out why not to use cheap 1911 magazines.

I have enough 1911 magazines right now, buying other types.

As far as the .22 survival pistol, the testing ended inconclusive. Of those available to be tested, such as Ruger (I think), they didn't "pass" for one reason or another, such as maybe ease of racking one handed.....or something. In any event, I would have to find those notes of years past.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-12-2024 at 06:53 PM..

Old 03-12-2024, 07:47 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, as we say, don't depend on the safety. It is there for a purpose, it should work, but don't depend your life, another's life on it.

In your particular case, if needed, having someone else clean the gun, is not out of the question. It is for me but once again as said, different worlds.

Big, heavy fire safes; ready lockers; lock boxes. When traveling, the lock box is out and unlocked, ready to be grabbed and fired with one hand. I display my art work, not my firearms.

One thing on being safety conscious. Don't be so safe conscious that it prevents the primary mission, shooting when necessary, from being carried out. Once upon a time, I was getting ready to go to the range. I was going through my manual of arms, of loading one in the barrel, decocking the hammer, drop that magazine, insert a fully loaded one. I gathered my things and headed for the range.

At the range, outside in my car, I started to unload, to enter the range with the action open. I pulled my pistol......and stared at it. One in the barrel but no magazine inserted.

Somewhere in my manual of arms back at the house, something had disturbed my chain of thoughts, being so focused on safety, that the magazine never got inserted. So from there on, I changed the process slightly so confirmation of the loaded magazine was noted, completed.

Finally, of course, if it has not been apparent so far, let me do note......I travel in full ready, a full magazine and one in the barrel, ready to fire. Once again, from the worlds I am trained in but consider this, if one needs their gun, one hand reaching for it while the other is holding off their assailant, what good will the gun do if it can't be pulled and fired one handed?
I wasn't suggesting to use the Kimber but only pointing out why not to use cheap 1911 magazines.

I have enough 1911 magazines right now, buying other types.

As far as the .22 survival pistol, the testing ended inconclusive. Of those available to be tested, such as Ruger (I think), they didn't "pass" for one reason or another, such as maybe ease of racking one handed.....or something. In any event, I would have to find those notes of years past.
Tamara - OP is not trying to arm a compound. She decided to buy a home defense gun. Can we please focus on that? Thank you.
There are differences between shooters, their qualifications, licenses and US states.
Are you running condition 1 or 2?

Old 03-12-2024, 07:57 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
There is a Guns and Hunting forum here on CD, you might ask there, too.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/

Old 03-12-2024, 08:13 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Not trying to be a p... ant. Let's assume he had a manufacturing license. I am sorry to hear about his passing.
We have been reloading forever and started with a manual click-click thing from Lyman. It has improved. One of SO's play dates runs 1400 rounds in three days. No way with factory ammo. May I ask - what state are you in?

Washington State.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:32 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Tamara - OP is not trying to arm a compound. She decided to buy a home defense gun. Can we please focus on that? Thank you.
There are differences between shooters, their qualifications, licenses and US states.
Are you running condition 1 or 2?
I didn't say she was.

I am just trying to cover some points for someone about their first gun and clarifying what I am saying. Since it is someone who is unknowledgeable, more or less, about guns, I have to spell it out. Such as, "one in the pipe" may not be understood without explanation. I am answering her questions as asked. I am providing some elements, such as cheap magazines vs not so cheap, for the benefit of my experience.

I have said something of a disclaimer since my background is different than hers. BUT.....some things are the same. Ie, the person who reaches into one's car, trying to pull them out, isn't going to care if the person is a novice shooter or not.....but for the one being attacked, the response can be the same.

And to that last question? That is a matter of internal security and not open for discussion.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:35 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
be careful about using only factory ammo for self defense…there can be all kinds of issues that come up in court when someone hand loads
What my friend created in his shop was practice ammo... semi wad cutters, not carry ammo, which I have always bought special which would probably bring it's own line of questioning. It doesn't surprise me that a lawyer will try to throw any kind of bafflecrap at a jury they can think of.

That's what lawyers do....

That said... ocnjgirl I am reminded to recommend a book my father bought for me and made me read 30 years ago when he bought me my first handgun, and I think it's just as valuable today.

It's not a long book, and it's a really good read. It should be required reading for anyone considering self defense. Unfortunately, I learned when I looked it up just now that it looks like it's out of print and has a freakish high price on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Gravest-Extre.../dp/0936279001
In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection Paperback – January 1, 1980
Massad F. Ayoob (Author)

Luckily... it looks like there's an update that is widely available: I'd recommend this instead if you can't find the earlier version. It's probably more up-to date.

https://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Force-...dp/1951115856/
Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self-Defense, 2nd edition Paperback – December 13, 2022

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-12-2024 at 09:02 PM..

Old 03-12-2024, 10:45 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I always keep my chamber empty in my revolvers, just in case. I know it takes two squeezes, but someone else doesn't.
That's maybe appropriate for a Single Action Army (Peacemaker) but almost all modern DA/SA revolvers are fine with all the chambers in the cylinder loaded, Won't fire unless you are holding the trigger back.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:47 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Even if he could have gotten a shot off, he wouldn't have been able to manage all of them.

In NJ,the gun must be locked in a safe, with the bullets in a separate safe. I don't even know how you react quickly enough in that scenario. They do have carry permits here now, but I'm a long way from that.

Okay, if you are serious about self defense, first move is to get the Hell out of NJ. Pardon my French.

Old 03-13-2024, 01:24 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
What my friend created in his shop was practice ammo... semi wad cutters, not carry ammo, which I have always bought special which would probably bring it's own line of questioning. It doesn't surprise me that a lawyer will try to throw any kind of bafflecrap at a jury they can think of.

That's what lawyers do....

That said... ocnjgirl I am reminded to recommend a book my father bought for me and made me read 30 years ago when he bought me my first handgun, and I think it's just as valuable today.

It's not a long book, and it's a really good read. It should be required reading for anyone considering self defense. Unfortunately, I learned when I looked it up just now that it looks like it's out of print and has a freakish high price on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Gravest-Extre.../dp/0936279001
In the Gravest Extreme: The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection Paperback – January 1, 1980
Massad F. Ayoob (Author)

Luckily... it looks like there's an update that is widely available: I'd recommend this instead if you can't find the earlier version. It's probably more up-to date.

https://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Force-...dp/1951115856/
Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self-Defense, 2nd edition Paperback – December 13, 2022
massad has some great books and videos and they should be required reading .he is one of the true experts in the field .

his LETHAL FORCE INSTITUTE has some of the finest teaching in the world in the art of self defense .

he is the number one expert testimony in the country when it comes to self defense cases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement