Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 06:37 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You are not alone. I skipped the mid-life crisis but I'm experiencing an end-of-life crisis even though I may live another 20 or even 30 years (I'm 70). I don't mind dying, but I will regret dying if I never find a soul-mate to have a life with. A life without love is an empty life. The older I get the emptier life seems without someone in it to love and to be loved by.
I hope you find someone. It is never too late. Less than 10 years ago, I figured I was going to die without ever knowing what it was like to be loved. And I had been married once--but not loved.

Then it did come my way. Love was wonderful. I was happy, like genuinely, actually HAPPY. It only lasted 6 years. Illness and death put an end to happy. But I now will die grateful that I got to know what it's like.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm not sure I like "crone", but I'll settle for "smart and funny old Auntie".
I like "crone". The crone is a post-menopausal woman whose former life-giving power has now become wisdom.

There's a Facebook page called Crones of Anarchy, lol.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yes, but I tell myself I probably have about a 1000 times better chance of dying in an automobile than falling out of the sky
Ha! I went to Costa Rica with my daughter over Xmas. The Uber picked us up for the airport at 3 a.m. in torrential rain, and the driver was FLYING up the NJ Turnpike in the dark downpour, oblivious to the huge trucks he had to get around. My daughter's eyes were bugging. I was snickering. Reslly brought to life that old saw about the ride to the airport being the most dangerous part.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:27 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
My bad. It was because of my response to a post about a 92 year old planning a very long flight from Australia to Europe. Perhaps the mod would consider deleting all of it.
Generally, people here often wind down taking long international flights when they are about 85, as travel insurance becomes prohibitively expensive or not obtainable.

The lady in question is prepared to travel without insurance as Australia has reciprocal health agreements with several European countries, including the UK and Italy. She is a retired RN and actually went to Europe in 2022 when travel resumed after our borders opened, when many were still concerned about covid regulations. Then again last year with a young friend in her seventies. I have never heard her discuss the risks of the actual flight.

We recently returned from a tour in Taiwan and everyone in our group of 24 was over sixty, several over eighty. Again the topic of complications of taking flights never once arose.

I think that the opinion would be that any risks are worth taking.

Otherwise all of us who love travel may start dwelling on the end of life issues rather than spending our time planning our next travel adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 03:21 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Generally, people here often wind down taking long international flights when they are about 85, as travel insurance becomes prohibitively expensive or not obtainable.

The lady in question is prepared to travel without insurance as Australia has reciprocal health agreements with several European countries, including the UK and Italy. She is a retired RN and actually went to Europe in 2022 when travel resumed after our borders opened, when many were still concerned about covid regulations. Then again last year with a young friend in her seventies. I have never heard her discuss the risks of the actual flight.

We recently returned from a tour in Taiwan and everyone in our group of 24 was over sixty, several over eighty. Again the topic of complications of taking flights never once arose.

Otherwise all of us who love travel may start dwelling on the end of life issues rather than spending our time planning our next travel adventure.
Thank you for expanding the reasoning and thought process behind her travels. It does make sense if one enjoys traveling regardless of age.

Old 03-22-2024, 05:47 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post

Re traveling insurance, I think I'll get the annual international insurance at 79-80 (the latest age at which it is still obtainable as an initial policy, and to my knowledge obtainable from only one company, ie, the French insurance company AXA). I will need that insurance in order to move to Thailand if I require a nursing home... but since I'll be required to get it at 79-80 at the latest, in order to secure the later Thailand plan, I might as well use it even before moving to Thailand, ie, it looks like I'll have a big continuous traveling shebang in my 80s. I thought I'd stop traveling at 86, but with this new insurance consideration (ie, the new visa requirement for health insurance in Thailand), it seems I will be compelled to travel in the years before the nursing home, so that my international health insurance doesn't go to waste.

Old 03-22-2024, 05:53 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Why isn't this common knowledge, I wonder.

What is the percentage of people who get this? Is it a hazard for everyone or people with pre-existing conditions?

Guess I'll ask google:

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dvt/travel.html#:~:text=Even%20if%20you%20travel%20a,o ther%20risks%20for%20blood%20clots.

Per the CDC: It's a very small percentage of people who get DVT.
Well, pilots on trans-oceanic routes get them with some frequency. My own late great boyfriend, who was a pilot and who died suddenly of heart attack at the age of 59 (and did not in fact have coronary artery disease, or any other health problems) probably had a thrombotic /embolic event.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:31 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Aren't embolisms from blood clots? Are those caused by DVTs?
Yes, pulmonary embolisms are blood clots that dislodge and then move to the lungs. They can be deadly. They can also move to the brain and give you a stroke. The treatment for a DVTs to be placed on a blood thinner to dissolve the clot. If you get more than one, you will be placed on blood thinners for life, like me.

To bring it back on topic... I don't let any of my health issues (which are pretty minor when properly treated) bring me down. I think some people do get really down about their health issues, and sometimes it's perfectly understandable that those issues can cause some late-life depression. I think it can depend on the prognosis and the severity of the impairments. Something like losing my sight or mobility could be very depressing. I hope I could mange my emotions and rise above, but there are highly varied limits to everyone's coping skills.

Last edited by TheShadow; 03-22-2024 at 08:41 AM..

Old 03-22-2024, 09:46 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
One thing about end of the line is the realization that we can't do all of what we use to do. It isn't just the back bend where we look like a hinge but also that we aren't moving as fast as we use to, that we don't have the energy that we use to. There is the painful consideration to whether or not we should stop doing what we have always liked.........OUCH.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:03 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hope you find someone. It is never too late. Less than 10 years ago, I figured I was going to die without ever knowing what it was like to be loved. And I had been married once--but not loved.

Then it did come my way. Love was wonderful. I was happy, like genuinely, actually HAPPY. It only lasted 6 years. Illness and death put an end to happy. But I now will die grateful that I got to know what it's like.
Thank you, MQ. I appreciate that. I agree that it is never too late and I hope that you will find happiness again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement